Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Footballers at their local teams experiment

On football manager, someone has done an experiment to see what what it would look like if every team in the Football League had the players born most local to them

Charlton haven't come out yet, which means top 20 which I guess isn't a surprise with how many top footballers have come from South London, wonder if a few of ours might actually be from slightly nearer Millwall though who I imagine will look very good on this. Leeds and Newcastle I'd imagine are pretty great too

Will probably just be depressing how few of them we still have, but interesting nonetheless

Comments

• Unsurprisingly, we seem to have had half the Gillingham team too
  • Not quite sure I agree with this.  Cardiff doesn’t include loads of local born players  

• Not bad, forgot that it would mean Lyle coming straight back 

• Not bad, forgot that it would mean Lyle coming straight back 
    He can sit on the bench tho

No Gomez, born in Catford assume he will be in Palaces squad then 
  • edited October 2020

Not bad, forgot that it would mean Lyle coming straight back 

Would guess Millwall.

Have no idea how this is being worked out, does Football Manager have the specific place of birth of each player recorded (rather than town/city) so he can automate this using an editor or is he doing this manually?

• Millwall take top spot with 2 of our own 
  • Christ that is hell of a team, Lewisham I guess is the footballing hotbed of England
  • se9addick said:

Would guess Millwall.

Have no idea how this is being worked out, does Football Manager have the specific player of birth of each player recorded (rather than town/city) so he can automate this using an editor or is he doing this manually?
    A little more than town, as in I can choose Sidcup as my place of birth. Imagine us vs Millwall is marginal in terms of Gomez which might not be completely true
  • Its Lewisham not Catford hospital

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    se9addick said:

Would guess Millwall.

Have no idea how this is being worked out, does Football Manager have the specific player of birth of each player recorded (rather than town/city) so he can automate this using an editor or is he doing this manually?
    A little more than town, as in I can choose Sidcup as my place of birth. Imagine us vs Millwall is marginal in terms of Gomez which might not be completely true
    I just googled it assuming Gomez was born in Lewisham Hospital

The New Den is 3.6 Miles away
    The Valley is 4.2 miles away

• edited October 2020
    I was born at Greenwich hospital 

The Valley-  2.2 Miles
    The New Den- 4.0 Miles
    Selhurst Park- 9.3 Miles

• I was born at Greenwich hospital 

The New Den- 2.4 Miles
    The Valley- 2.8 Miles
    Selhurst Park- 8.6 Miles

:s   :s
    I reckon you would count as Charlton as it’s in the same borough - I presume that’s how he’s working it out. 

The New Den- 2.4 Miles
    The Valley- 2.8 Miles
    Selhurst Park- 8.6 Miles

How old are you? Was the old den their ground when you were born? 
  • edited October 2020
    I was born at Greenwich hospital 

The New Den- 2.4 Miles
    The Valley- 2.8 Miles
    Selhurst Park- 8.6 Miles

Which Greenwich Hospital, Vanbrugh Hill?
    If so I'm 100% certain The Valley is closer than either Den.
    You could walk Vanbrugh Hill to The Valley in about 20 mins. It's about 1 mile.
  • se9addick said:
    Horrified - I would count as a Palace player in this experiment;

Palace 3.2 miles

Millwall 7.3 miles

Charlton 8.2 miles

I need a period of reflection...

Thankfully I was born at Woolwich Hospital for Mothers and Babies so have no concerns about my Charlton eligibility 

The New Den- 2.4 Miles
    The Valley- 2.8 Miles
    Selhurst Park- 8.6 Miles

Which Greenwich Hospital, Vanbrugh Hill?
    If so I'm 100% certain The Valley is closer than either Den.
    You could walk Vanbrugh Hill to The Valley in about 20 mins. It's about 1 mile.
    Yeah I have updated it now, I think when I typed in Greenwich hospital it took me to the wrong place on Google Maps(obviously due to Greenwich Hospital not being there anymore)
  • Isn't Messi from Belvedere?
    Yeah, just made Dartford's squad
  • Was born in Lewisham hospital, people were unsure who I would I support, but, apparently, they found that I had a brain cell so the spanners were out of the question. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Military Maternity Hospital, Woolwich Common.
    Less than 2 miles to The Valley driving, less than 1.5 miles as the crow flies. I'm safe.
  • St Alfege's Hospital in Maze Hill, replaced by GDH. 1.4 miles from the Valley as  shown...... 
  • British Hospital For Mothers and Babies. Closed the week after I popped out. Couldn't be bettered apparently.......
  • St Alfeage was closer to the centre of Greenwich.
    You've selected Greenwich District, a different hospital.
  • St Alfeage was closer to the centre of Greenwich.
    You've selected Greenwich District, a different hospital.
    Built on the site of GDR,  as the National archives state.....

Present name

Greenwich District Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Greenwich Union Infirmary (1874 - 1928)
    Greenwich and Deptford Hospital (1928 - 1930)
    St Alfege's Hospital (1931 - 1968)  

Address

or if you prefer: Wiki:

Greenwich District Hospital was an acute district general hospital situated in the Maze Hill district of GreenwichLondon. It was built in the 1960s on the site of St Alfege's Hospital, Greenwich.

Vanbrugh Hill London SE10 9JH 

• British Hospital For Mothers and Babies. Closed the week after I popped out. Couldn't be bettered apparently.......
    That hospital was closed in 1984... 
  • Perhaps that was the millers hospital...... more towards the Ashburnham triangle of Greenwich as estate agents like to refer to it.... The Miller General Hospital was a hospital in Greenwich, London from 1884 until 1974. It was developed adjacent to an earlier dispensary, and was the first British hospital designed with circular wards, and one of the first to have an X-ray department.

• I was also born in the British Hospital For Mothers and Babies  :)
    That hospital was closed in 1984... 
    Well yeah I know that, but the process started in '77 and it took 7 years to phase out.

That's what my mum always told me anyway....