Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Government urged to allow return of fans (ed. Limited crowds to return in Tiers 1&2)

edited November 2020 in Other Football and Sports

Football's governing bodies say they will "continue to urge" the UK government to allow fans at matches.

In September, sports were told to prepare for no fans during winter after a plan to allow limited numbers to return was paused.

Screening fans and temperature checks are among the measures proposed by the Premier League, EFL and the Football Association.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54439207

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/october/open-letter-to-supporters-together-we-will-get-fans-safely-back-into-grounds/

PetitionAllow football fans to attend matches at all levels

Football is a powerful tool of which allows a range of benefits such as employment, and other important aspects of life. Football can be associated with passion, emotion, excitement and dedication across the community. With Fans attending football games a range of economic benefits are there too.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

Comments

• 108,658 signatures 
  • Football is so up its own arse!

Used to be the national game, the working mans game.

Money money money. 

• We can't watch football in an open air stadium but Vue cinema's are letting people watch the game within a confined cinema.

Now that is taking the piss.
    Totally ridiculous 
  • 111,283 signatures
  • Football is so up its own arse!

Used to be the national game, the working mans game.

Money money money. 

.... must be funny ....
  • I think a lot of the issues are around thousands cramming on public transport and possibly into pubs as well.
    It's not just about safety in the stadiums.
    With the rising cases would you go at the moment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at the latest Covid-19 figures mass gatherings should be banned full stop and no consideration given to allowing it until we get on top of it. 
    The governing bodies and 116000 people disagree with you.
  • I read today that, in Germany, fans are being allowed in stadiums at 20% of capacity, provided the local area doesn't have a high number of Covid cases. Clubs are, however, limiting match tickets to season ticket holders who live locally. A government-appointed expert group (hopefully proper experts) are looking into the German system and the EFL and the Premier League have confirmed that they will also limit attendance to local season ticket holders if it means that some supporters are allowed back into grounds.

It all feels a very long way off to me. I also see that, amidst the Premier League's incessant bleating about the absence of spectators, they have still managed to spend around £1.2billion gross and around £820million net during the current transfer window (with a little more to come before the domestic window shuts on 16 October).
  • Baffling rules at non-league level too - this from Monday's "i" Newspaper.

• clb74 said:
    Looking at the latest Covid-19 figures mass gatherings should be banned full stop and no consideration given to allowing it until we get on top of it. 
    Not a huge number when you consider that normally about 700-800,000 attend weekly.
  • Hal1x said:
    clb74 said:
    Looking at the latest Covid-19 figures mass gatherings should be banned full stop and no consideration given to allowing it until we get on top of it. 
    Not a huge number when you consider that normally about 700-800,000 attend weekly.
    Now 140,019 signatures, how many of the700-800,000 are aware of the petition.
    Still time to sign the petition 
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036
  • Sponsored links:

• Now 150,024 signatures.
  • Sorry to say it, but the petitions mean fk all. The legalising cannabis one got over a million and never made it anywhere near Parliament. 
  • clb74 said:
    The governing bodies have vested interests viewed in total COVID safety from their gilded ivory towers
    116k people isn't really very many is it? The attendance at just 2 premier league games.

The inconsistency with the cinemas, pubs etc is inexplicable but that don't make the pubs, cinemas situation sensible, let alone "safe".  2 wrongs in this scenario is murderously stupid.

There are knowledgeable people on this forum who can answer this:  what level(s) of attendance at The Valley wash their face on matchday? i.e. how many ticket sales (+ after spend revenue) cover the matchday specific costs of stewarding, policing, ticketing, cleaning(!), etc, etc?
    No fans in the ground is worse financially than unrestricted attendances but where are the breakeven points?  I'd guess there are steps in the calculations, the profit/loss graph won't be linear.

FWIW the financial argument is moot in light of the exponential growth in infection, hospitalisation and fatality rates.  I don't see me attending any mass assembly event of any kind before I and my immediate family are vaccinated or infection rates are down to levels of single digit per million.

There are rivers and lakes of money in English football.  The greedy plutocrats controlling its distribution are under no obligation to, even temporarily, alter that distribution.  Their current intransigence is wholly to be expected but is moronically short-sighted.  The top clubs need the lower tiers to provide a good chunk of the playing stock.  They won't be able to import foreigners indefinitely.  How quickly the PL and their toady 'governing bodies' act for their own longer term benefit and the immediate benefit of the rest of the English game remains to be seen.  But don't be holding your breath boys'n'girls.  The failure of some or many clubs is sadly inevitable but irrelevant in the context of avoidable loss of life.
  • The BBC reported the major footballing bodies the Premier League and the WSL are appealing to the Government.  

Did I miss when the WSL became the number 2 league in this country. My God, why oh why are we having women’s football rammed down our throats at every opportunity. Football focus, has always only believed the Premiership exists. However, now every week we have a large slot given over to the WSL.

Spurs ladies top the attendance league last season with an average 8614. Next best Arsenal 4749. Down to Brighton, Reading, Birmingham, and Bristol with around 1,500.  So why is their view now highlighted as being more important than, the EFL clubs who can double their entire league attendance at a single EFL Championship game. 

Please is it just me, who doesn’t get this agenda....... .?

It's not an agenda and if it were it's not aimed at you.
    What you are seeing here is the effect of how desperately awful the governance and executive is at EFL.  They're not mentioned in that coverage cos the witless complacent gravy train scoffing arseholes in their swanky office in Preston are doing the square root of fuck all that's useful to anyone or anything bar their own next payday.  The sponsors' members are probably jammed so vigorously up the fundament of the gravy train scoffing arseholes, that those arseholes are rendered speechless.

Your ire is better directed at EFL than BBC's coverage.
  • edited October 2020
    clive said:
    Hal1x said:
    clb74 said:
    Now 140,019 signatures, how many of the700-800,000 are aware of the petition.
    Still time to sign the petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036
    How many are just realistic of the current situation, and appreciate how difficult it will be to socially distance and enforce the wearing of masks within a crowd, and track and trace.I don't really think this is the appropriate time to be kicking off on this one.
  • The BBC reported the major footballing bodies the Premier League and the WSL are appealing to the Government.  

Did I miss when the WSL became the number 2 league in this country. My God, why oh why are we having women’s football rammed down our throats at every opportunity. Football focus, has always only believed the Premiership exists. However, now every week we have a large slot given over to the WSL.

Spurs ladies top the attendance league last season with an average 8614. Next best Arsenal 4749. Down to Brighton, Reading, Birmingham, and Bristol with around 1,500.  So why is their view now highlighted as being more important than, the EFL clubs who can double their entire league attendance at a single EFL Championship game. 

Please is it just me, who doesn’t get this agenda....... .?

It's not an agenda and if it were it's not aimed at you.
    What you are seeing here is the effect of how desperately awful the governance and executive is at EFL.  They're not mentioned in that coverage cos the witless complacent gravy train scoffing arseholes in their swanky office in Preston are doing the square root of fuck all that's useful to anyone or anything bar their own next payday.  The sponsors' members are probably jammed so vigorously up the fundament of the gravy train scoffing arseholes, that those arseholes are rendered speechless.

Your ire is better directed at EFL than BBC's coverage.

May I just say that I very much enjoy your use of language, @StigThundercock
    I can usually tell it's a post from you without looking at the poster's name.
  • shine166 said:
    Sorry to say it, but the petitions mean fk all. The legalising cannabis one got over a million and never made it anywhere near Parliament. 
    150,000k is less than what Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea can hold, this will go nowhere.  
  • clb74 said:
    So epidemic response should now be decided by petitions?