Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EVER HAD SOMETHING YOU TREASURED CHUCKED OUT......

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
by your mum, dad, partner, wife,etc. Caught a bit of one of those auction programmes on the tellie: they were auctioning a load of cigarette cards. It brought back memories of the collection I once had and which my old Mum chucked out, after I got married and left home,along with loads of programmes and Eagle comics because 'they gathered dust'. Anyone else lost mementos etc. because of spring cleaning or anything?

Comments

• Did it myself last year. Having a clear out, and I gave away a wooden Russian doll, which I'd bought about 20 years ago. Regretted it almost immediately, and even more since I saw new ones on display in John Lewis today for £58!
  • only my freedom and social life.... :-)
  • edited February 2009
    My original pair of Anello & Davide Beatle Boots....would be worth a nice few quid nowadays....My darling mum threw them out sometime in the early seventies after I'd kept them since around 1963.
    You had to queue up on Saturday mornings outside their shop in Covent Garden along with hundreds of other Mods.I remember getting in the queue around 6.00am and not getting away until 11.30ish!
    I kept them in perfect nick too!
  • Slightly off topic but I don't get on with my family and my Mum has loads of old He-Man toys which go for a bit on ebay, plus I have the full Natwest Piggy Bank collection - again at my Mum's, so I'll never see them again :0(
  • Yep. I had a Hornby train set all boxed, good condition and very old. My dad told me to make a bit of space in my bedroom.
    I rue the day.
    The next time I saw a similar item it was in an antiques shop in Rye. Also seen them pop up on eBay.
  • Have a signed Darren Bent England shirt.in which was in a box, Mum came over last year and spent the day sping cleaning, i went upstairs and i dont know why, but i was looking it, she had put the box out for the bin men, luckily i saved it, however, she is under strict instructions never to chuck anything out again.
  • [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Slightly off topic but I don't get on with my family and my Mum has loads of old He-Man toys which go for a bit on ebay, plus I have the full Natwest Piggy Bank collection - again at my Mum's, so I'll never see them again :0(

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn - but go and see your Mum.
    Life's too short.

Sorry.
  • edited February 2009
    I second that thought (from personal experience it's the best thing to do, as long of course as you feel it could be repairable) - There also must be a reason why she's keeping all your stuff rather than binning it all out.

Like Oggy - Sorry if I have talked out of turn.
  • Was recently told to put my beloved Rayleigh Grifter up for sale on E-bay as it would be worth a small fortune. Went round Mum's the other week & she said she chucked it out last year, needless to say I was not impressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• My mum threw out some priceless art pamphlets I was hoarding in the bottom of a wardrobe. She showed no remorse. But it mde me the man I am today
  • My Mum threw out my favourite pair of faded holely levis that I had nurtured to that state for years basically because in her eyes the crutch was falling out and clearly to her they were past sell by date (when I was a teenager many moons ago).

So I chucked some of her clothes out of her 1st floor bedroom window on to the front lawn. We came to an understanding after that....basically that I moved out.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Alan-Curbishley-pjpc287.jpg

Is that a big zit?
  • Sure have, last game at The Valley, my Dad, brother & me cut out a big piece of the turf from the middle of the pitch and planted it in our back garden where it did really well until my dad got a gardener in to sort the garden out and forgot to tell him about it...got home and it had all been pulled out and flowers put in its place...
  • My Mum fed the cat & noticed something on the inside of the lid saying 'Congratulations.' She assumed it was an advert & binned it. A few days later (after the binmen had been) she saw an ad on telly for the cat food competition. She would've won a car! She never did tell my Dad...
  • edited February 2009
    Soundas, sounds like we're of the same era. It wasn't yourself that tried to batter me and my Triumph at Brighton in '64 was it?
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Alan-Curbishley-pjpc287.jpg

Is that a big zit?

No, it's Curbs.

;o)
  • My Mum threw out loads of old football tops that my brother and I were keeping for some unknown reason, including some old Charlton ones. The 70s Man U away kit was in there, the Platini French shirt, the 70's Dutch kit, old England Admiral kit, Argentina 78 shirt.

My ex-wife threw out about a 1,000 Charlton programmes, some I rescued. She did hate me.

And the most upsetting actually, was Mum accidentially chucking out load of calendars and diaries from when I was about 7 until 16. There goes my autobiography as my memory is now toilet.
  • The ex wife....oh treasured? missed that bit....no then
  • Not quite the same but a mate of mine played for Exmouth Town several years ago - he scored a goal in an FA Cup 1st Round match against a league team and recorded it on Match of the Day that evening. Yep you've got it, his missus recorded a chick flick over it the following week.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]My mum threw out some priceless art pamphlets I was hoarding in the bottom of a wardrobe. She showed no remorse. But it mde me the man I am today

you're blaming your mum for turning you into a drunkard?
    ;o)
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Soundas, sounds like we're of the same era. It wasn't yourself that tried to batter me and my Triumph at Brighton in '64 was it?

Quite possibly!
    I was born in January '48.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Slightly off topic but I don't get on with my family and my Mum has loads of old He-Man toys which go for a bit on ebay, plus I have the full Natwest Piggy Bank collection - again at my Mum's, so I'll never see them again :0(

Life's too short.

Sorry.

Don't say sorry, but it's not going to happen - My Mum is a complete psycho, and as harsh as this sounds, I am better off without her and my family, just ask Maria.
  • innumerable trainers that to me were in perfect nick.
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Yep. I had a Hornby train set all boxed, good condition and very old. My dad told me to make a bit of space in my bedroom.
    I rue the day.
    The next time I saw a similar item it was in an antiques shop in Rye. Also seen them pop up on eBay.

Mine is still up in my mums loft in original boxes.

As for things thrown away - my nan bless her, when she was alive, gave away my grandad's entire Charlton football programme collection to the local cub scouts for their jumble sale. My gramps was a programme seller down at the Valley forever until he died in 1970 and had every signle programme - including the FA CUP finals and the the war final programmes etc anyway you get the picture.

She'd prmised them to me as I was a charlton fan and when I went round with my dad and we couldn't find them she remembered she'd let the cubs in and said to them they can help themselves to anything in the loft and all they took was the programmes. My dad went round there and everyone to a man denied all knowledge of ever getting them, he wasn't happy but what coudl we do. It was some collection I tell you.
  • edited February 2009
  • [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Slightly off topic but I don't get on with my family and my Mum has loads of old He-Man toys which go for a bit on ebay, plus I have the full Natwest Piggy Bank collection - again at my Mum's, so I'll never see them again :0(

Life's too short.

Sorry.

Don't say sorry, but it's not going to happen - My Mum is a complete psycho, and as harsh as this sounds, I am better off without her and my family, just ask Maria.

I totally agree with NSU and coming from such a close family myself I just can't understand parents that shut their kids out and behave the way she has.

Sorry Oggy but life is also too short to spend time trying to make a close family with someone who is intent on being a loner and wants to be a sad lonely old woman.

A lot of stuff has been said from her part that can't be forgiven - that side if it isn't for this board - but let's just say we are better of with her out of our lives.
  • edited February 2009
    Fair enough NSU and Maria.
    No offence meant on my part, obviously I was generalising - but understand what you've said.

All the best.
  • edited February 2009
    No offence taken either mate.
  • Cassius Clay's signed glove.

*SOB*
    *Leaves thread head lolling*