Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

car advice..

just sold the missus motor as we need to get a bigger motor now we have the baby, have been looking around but i aint got a clue with motors, we have 6 and half thousand to spend, its gona need to last for another 2 kids, have seen some good offers at car giant and carland, so far were down to either:

ford c-max or focus

Volkswagan Touran

Toyato Verso

Mazda 3

Honda Jazz

Audi A3

or a Nissan Note.

Anyone else with young familes got any advice or know where to go for a good reliable safe deal, as this will be a major amount of cash were gona have to part with and gona need to take buggies and shopping for at least 5 years i reckon. any help much welcomed.

Adam.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    DON'T get a Nissan Note.
    Have driven one as a hire car over a period of months. They are small, uncomfortable and boot is way to small for family day outs, shopping etc...

Mazda 6's are cheap, reliable and masses of space, especially in the boot.
  • I shopped around alot on AutoTrader website, bought myself a Saab 93 recently and have to say it's the nicest car I've ever driven
  • Can't imagine an Audi A3 being big enough to hold buggies, shopping etc... an A4 estate would be a good option
  • You could try a Xsara or C4 Picasso. Seat Altea XL.

Don't laugh, but a Skoda Octavia - Huge boots and good to drive.
  • edited February 2009
    I just traded our clio for a mazda 3 - 1.6 in Silver 6k from the dealer near orpington, got a decent trade in on our motor which while a little bit high priced did include 3 year warranty which isn't bad on an 04 car and you get the official dealer peace of mind. I thought it was suprisingly roomy especially in the back and nippy for that engine size, and decent boot. Beware the 7 year service though which is a biggy I hear.

Got home and realised my neighbour has a blue one... doh!

Looked at a Focus and felt they weren't value enough for the trim/age I wanted, better size though
  • edited February 2009
    I have the Touran mate - couldn't ask for a better motor - go for a 1 yr old - will still come with a 2 yr warranty but can get a good price.

I got the 7 seater - the seat at back fold flat makes for a great big boot. We can get the buggy in plus dog carrier and shopping.

Lovely motors
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Can't imagine an Audi A3 being big enough to hold buggies, shopping etc... an A4 estate would be a good option[/quote]

Isn't there an A3 estatey type car
  • I bought an 01 focus 5 door about 6 years ago for 5k, and I'm sure you could the older model new car cheaper now they have a new style.

I don't think I'll ever buy a car outright, but would recommend doing the 3 year thing. We've got a car for £160 a month for 3 years brand new, and will upgrade in 3 years or give it back or buy the car for the remaining balance.

its only a tiny car but top of the range with all the mod cons, brand new, and weve had it a year now. in 2 years time we may need a bigger car so we'll just adjust the cost and upgrade.

If we'd have got a loan for the car, we'd be paying off the loan in 3 years time on a car that isn't worth what we're paying on it and I just can't see the point in owning your own car.

You could use your 5k fund to pay that off monthly to no cost to you immediately and the cash could earn interest whilst it isn't being spent (haha) or use it for a large deposit on the rental of the car (we didn't have any)
  • edited February 2009
    I'd second the negativity towards the Note, I had one as a hire car and hated it. On the flip side my pals just bought a 5 door A3 which is lovely and plenty of room, although he has spent £15k so doubt you'll get one that good for the money you have available. The VW Touran is nice but won't the tax be huge on it now?
  • why might you need a bigger car in two years time??
  • Sponsored links:

• "ford c-max or focus

Volkswagan Touran

Toyato Verso

Mazda 3

Honda Jazz

Audi A3

or a Nissan Note."

You won't get a lot of those for 6k depending on age of course and whether you do dealer or not.

Our shortlist based on what we would be willing to drive was the

Focus (bit priceier) but good size,
    Seat Leon (felt a bit cheap),
    Mazda 3 (as I said seemed best all rounder for me.

Loved the RX8 though, luckily it was out of our bracket, only 2 back seats though and they are quite tight at that.

Am selling my Freelander but its a 3 door, shame I loved that car.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]why might you need a bigger car in two years time??

cos I eat a lot and get fatter by the month
  • If you've got ISOFIX baby car seats make sure that whatever motor you get is compatible
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Can't imagine an Audi A3 being big enough to hold buggies, shopping etc... an A4 estate would be a good option

Isn't there an A3 estatey type car

Happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.... not in this country at least
  • If you can, go German.
  • I've heard good things about the Skoda Roomster (if you can handle the unconventional looks), and 6.5k will get you a low mileage 2007 model
  • looking like the toran is a good shout then, have seen some second hand for under 7k so fingers crossed..

• Just bought a car from british car Auctions. Most are ex dealership, and there are some good bargains about.
    Go to the British Car Auction web site (they have an auction at Paddock Wood) and have a look at the catalogues.
    For a more in depth view of the catalogues, go to Auction View and log in as follows;
    Username; tpotter
    password; opriolle
  • Whatever you deceide to buy just don't leave it anywhere in Vigo
  • Sponsored links:

• nice one wss, take it that is a pussy wagon... he he..
  • cheers robbo
  • Dazzler said:

I am looking to buy a 2nd/3rd hand card that will have done about 30-40,000 miles and is in good nick but can't decide between:

Car A) a Fiat Punto (53 Plates) done 27500 miles @ £2200 or

car B) a Ford Fiesta not newest model (04 Plates) done 47,000 miles @ £3750

Both look like they have had front end repairs but MAY not be anything serious on them.
    Anyone know a cheap way I can check their histories for serious repair work?
  • Thanks AFKA

;o)
  • nope, but if it looks like its had a repair don't buy it, simple really

:)
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Dazzler said:

I am looking to buy a 2nd/3rd hand card that will have done about 30-40,000 miles and is in good nick but can't decide between:

Both look like they have had front end repairs but MAY not be anything serious on them.

If you are a member of the RAC (and probably the AA) they will check it out for you or certainly used to about 10 years ago.

Try rac.co.uk
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Dazzler said:

As I said " try the AA, the car people ! not the drink problem people!!
  • edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]looking like the toran is a good shout then, have seen some second hand for under 7k so fingers crossed..

Volkswagen%20Touran.jpg

You won't be disappointed. Obviously be careful because these are popular amongst the Mini Scab drivers so if last owner was Asif Iqbal give it a wide berth :-)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]You won't be disappointed. Obviously be careful because these are popular amongst the Mini Scab drivers so if last owner was Asif Iqbal give it a wide berth :-)[/quote]

Cheers Ledge, just found out my sister has one, but they are looking a bit pricey now between 7 and 8 k for a used one from beadles in dartford.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]You won't be disappointed. Obviously be careful because these are popular amongst the Mini Scab drivers so if last owner was Asif Iqbal give it a wide berth :-)

Cheers Ledge, just found out my sister has one, but they are looking a bit pricey now between 7 and 8 k for a used one from beadles in dartford.

Main dealer? Sod that!