Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester Chairman reveals how iFollow money is distributed.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/

Colchester United Chairman Robbie Cowling has issued the following statement:

I hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the new season.

The early fixtures have certainly been tough with three consecutive away trips and then our first home fixture against Bolton. However, we’ve had a pleasing start in the league with four points and two clean sheets from our first two games.

In terms of fans watching the game, I think the EFL have created a great product and the revenue it is generating is gratefully received. It’s small amounts of income at the moment but I’m optimistic that more of you will want to follow the team both home and away as you discover just how good the streaming option is.

And remember we are back to the broadcast quality cameras now, not the analysis cameras we had to use for the first two pre-season fixtures.

Streaming Revenues
The way it works currently is that the home team keep all of the revenue for the tickets they sell through their own website and they also get the revenue for the first 500 that buy via the away team. For example: for Saturday’s game against Bolton, we sold 452 iFollow passes, (so we keep all of the revenue from those), and Bolton sold 2252 iFollow passes, (of which we get the revenue from the first 500).

This has put a very new aspect on the revenue that is available to clubs this season. Bolton made more money in gate receipts from our home fixture than we did because they had the revenue from 1,752 iFollow passes whereas we had the revenue from 952 iFollow passes. In normal times, we would have expected about £54,000 in home gate receipts from this fixture but we will receive just shy of £8,000, whereas Bolton would have expected about £600 for the 5% commission we pay them but will have received about £14,000 more than that.

We sold just over 300 streams for the away game against Bradford, so we earnt £0.00 for that away game and I expect that to be the case for every away game this season. So based on twenty three away games, Bolton look set to receive about £345,000 from the streaming of their away games this season whilst we can look forward to approximately £0.00.

Perhaps these facts might help some of you that think we should still be in the Championship understand what we are up against.

Comments

• Are the figures for all clubs available or are they kept in-house  ?
    @Ollywozere ?
  • Very interesting. I thought I read somewhere that the streaming revenue was split 50/50 for the Carabao Cup (presumably after expenses), so we may have received a reasonable wedge for the West Ham game. The competition is inherently unattractive, although perhaps people have become more accustomed to screening since the games resumed in June.
  • Expect this will get changed at the end of the season for League One and Two. Probably find all revenue from a round of games will go into one pot to be split equally amongst all 24 teams.

After all the small teams sticking together in this league always seem to get there way to level the playing field against the bigger teams like the wage cap or ending the season early.
  • So if we only have 500 fans (or less) tuning in for an away game then none of that money will go to Charlton
  • So if we only have 500 fans (or less) tuning in for an away game then none of that money will go to Charlton
    Someone's trying to destroy clubs.
    I would imagine that the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth and ourselves would be one of the larger sellers of an away stream. Be very surprised if we sell less than 1500 for any away fixture. 
    I would imagine that the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth and ourselves would be one of the larger sellers of an away stream. Be very surprised if we sell less than 1500 for any away fixture. 
    You'd hope that we're selling that sort of figure for away games

Whilst our average away following has never been that high (Unless its an game with attractive appeal) you'd hope thats purely down to costs and time out of people's weekend that it can take to travel to some parts of the country, and that this is a happy medium for those who cant do that anymore... Me being one of those people
  • edited September 2020
    perhaps someone at Charlton would care to provide us with our figures for the first two games.
  • edited September 2020
    So some crude maths means that the clubs (once divided up based on home / away ratio) make £8.40 per stream sold.   I did always wonder how much of the £10 goes to the clubs and how much on the service..  It is much higher ratio to the clubs than I thought it would be when you consider apple take 30% of app revenue for doing almost naff all other than providing a shopfront.

Also need to factor in the 'foreign' streams which only pay £7 to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Callumcafc

Thanks for your opening post. Really interesting. 
  • Interesting comment by CUFC. Unless IFollow get their product sorted out (particularly sound) then I can see numbers falling off. 
    So if the trend continues at that rate CUFC revenue for 46 games would be £184,000. 
    Based on crowd average if our proportion were similar our revenue could be £750,000. 
  • edited September 2020
    redman said:
    Interesting comment by CUFC. Unless IFollow get their product sorted out (particularly sound) then I can see numbers falling off. 
    So if the trend continues at that rate CUFC revenue for 46 games would be £184,000. 
    Based on crowd average if our proportion were similar our revenue could be £750,000. 
    Anyone has an idea for revenue generated per game after costs at the Valley.  Interested to know what % we are generating from streaming compared to in person?  
  • I wonder why the clubs dont publish the number of passes sold ? It would be interesting for the fans to know. I for one always wonder if I'm all alone when watching valley pass lol
  • Although, far from ideal being able to watch us on a stream is better than nothing, and I will probably watch every game home and away that’s shown. I haven’t missed a Charlton  game since football ‘Restarted’
    I miss everything that goes with the match day experience but have being playing darts beforehand over zoom; and having a few beers it’s not the same but I don’t want to get out of the habit.
    Attending on Saturday made me realise how much I enjoy going. 
  • https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/

The early fixtures have certainly been tough with three consecutive away trips and then our first home fixture against Bolton. However, we’ve had a pleasing start in the league with four points and two clean sheets from our first two games.

In terms of fans watching the game, I think the EFL have created a great product and the revenue it is generating is gratefully received. It’s small amounts of income at the moment but I’m optimistic that more of you will want to follow the team both home and away as you discover just how good the streaming option is.

And remember we are back to the broadcast quality cameras now, not the analysis cameras we had to use for the first two pre-season fixtures.

Streaming Revenues
    The way it works currently is that the home team keep all of the revenue for the tickets they sell through their own website and they also get the revenue for the first 500 that buy via the away team. For example: for Saturday’s game against Bolton, we sold 452 iFollow passes, (so we keep all of the revenue from those), and Bolton sold 2252 iFollow passes, (of which we get the revenue from the first 500).

This has put a very new aspect on the revenue that is available to clubs this season. Bolton made more money in gate receipts from our home fixture than we did because they had the revenue from 1,752 iFollow passes whereas we had the revenue from 952 iFollow passes. In normal times, we would have expected about £54,000 in home gate receipts from this fixture but we will receive just shy of £8,000, whereas Bolton would have expected about £600 for the 5% commission we pay them but will have received about £14,000 more than that.

We sold just over 300 streams for the away game against Bradford, so we earnt £0.00 for that away game and I expect that to be the case for every away game this season. So based on twenty three away games, Bolton look set to receive about £345,000 from the streaming of their away games this season whilst we can look forward to approximately £0.00.

Perhaps these facts might help some of you that think we should still be in the Championship understand what we are up against.

I do sympathise with clubs' plight at present but some of this doesn’t add up.

Isn't this assuming that Bolton would take 2,252 fans to Colchester.  If only 2,252 bothered to pay £10 to watch it in the comfort of their own homes, it may be that far less than that would have paid for tickets, travel, etc to go to Colchester.  The highest average away attendance last year was about 1000 (Plymouth) as a comparison.  Also, the away end at Colchester only holds 2000 anyway, so not all of these hypothetical Bolton fans would have got in anyway, had they travelled.

Also, if Colchester are at home to Barrow on a Tuesday night and they would possibly have 50 Barrow fans visiting Colchester for the game but if 500 watch it on ifollow wouldn't Colchester be better off then?

50 Barrow fans paying x £20 for a ticket = £1000 (-6% that Barrow get to keep) = £940

if 500 barrow fans choose to watch it on ifollow, then:

500 x £10 ifollow subs = £5000 that Colchester get to keep. 

(I acknowledge there’s extra revenue from selling pies and programmes but offset by the cost of stewarding, etc)

Other than Bolton, I think only Cambridge, Southend, Bradford and Orient would bring a significant number of supporters to Colchester.  I guess the average number of away fans in league two is about 300-400.  Which would mean Colchester are not that out of pocket if enough people are watching the game on ifollow and, having been to the ‘Western Homes Community Stadium’, it’s not the greatest place to get to and from – ifollow is quite an attractive option.

He also complains that he made no money from 300 Southend fans watching ifollow away at Braford but if all 300 of them actually had been able to go he would only make about £360 on 6% commission anyway.

You can’t complain that other clubs are keeping away fans’ revenue but a paragraph later complain that Colchester don’t get to keep theirs.   

• AndyG said:
    I wonder why the clubs dont publish the number of passes sold ? It would be interesting for the fans to know. I for one always wonder if I'm all alone when watching valley pass lol
    You could have Attendance 0 (behind closed doors) Virtual Attendance etc
  • milo said:
    https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/september/club-statement/

Streaming Revenues

I do sympathise with clubs' plight at present but some of this doesn’t add up.

Isn't this assuming that Bolton would take 2,252 fans to Colchester.  If only 2,252 bothered to pay £10 to watch it in the comfort of their own homes, it may be that far less than that would have paid for tickets, travel, etc to go to Colchester.  The highest average away attendance last year was about 1000 (Plymouth) as a comparison.  Also, the away end at Colchester only holds 2000 anyway, so not all of these hypothetical Bolton fans would have got in anyway, had they travelled.

Also, if Colchester are at home to Barrow on a Tuesday night and they would possibly have 50 Barrow fans visiting Colchester for the game but if 500 watch it on ifollow wouldn't Colchester be better off then?

50 Barrow fans paying x £20 for a ticket = £1000 (-6% that Barrow get to keep) = £940

if 500 barrow fans choose to watch it on ifollow, then:

500 x £10 ifollow subs = £5000 that Colchester get to keep. 

(I acknowledge there’s extra revenue from selling pies and programmes but offset by the cost of stewarding, etc)

Other than Bolton, I think only Cambridge, Southend, Bradford and Orient would bring a significant number of supporters to Colchester.  I guess the average number of away fans in league two is about 300-400.  Which would mean Colchester are not that out of pocket if enough people are watching the game on ifollow and, having been to the ‘Western Homes Community Stadium’, it’s not the greatest place to get to and from – ifollow is quite an attractive option.

He also complains that he made no money from 300 Southend fans watching ifollow away at Braford but if all 300 of them actually had been able to go he would only make about £360 on 6% commission anyway.

You can’t complain that other clubs are keeping away fans’ revenue but a paragraph later complain that Colchester don’t get to keep theirs.   

I think he's basically just complaining that everybody is suffering from reduced revenue!

The only bright side is that there will be more "away" supporters than usual at the games This extra cash is shared equally between clubs with less than 500 away supporters but clubs with large followings can take all the extra above 500 supporters.

The big fish is allowed to eat the medium fish. But the medium fish must share with the little fish.

I don't like that we pay money to a specific club to watch a game. If the premier league or SKY go this way, the big clubs will get enormously more money the smaller ones.

• edited September 2020
    I think bad experiences with I-follow/Valley Pass may put people off using it but surely there is potential to make the clubs a far amount of much needed money in difficult circumstances. I am certainly buying the service and that includes away games I probably wouldn't have attended.

The sound issues are an irritation, but much less so than buffering or picture issues, which I can't complain about with the service, but it seems some have had these. 

I would be interested to know our numbers and whether we are maximising the potential which is surely there. The same way as we try to boost crowds, the club ought to be really pushing the service. I don't think it is bad for a tenner. 

The simple way monies should be apportioned in my view is if you watch through your club's service, they should get your money.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think bad experiences with I-follow/Valley Pass may put people off using it but surely there is potential to make the clubs a far amount of much needed money in difficult circumstances. I am certainly buying the service and that includes away games I probably wouldn't have attended.

The sound issues are an irritation, but much less so than buffering or picture issues, which I can't complain about with the service, but it seems some have had these. 

I would be interested to know our numbers and whether we are maximising the potential which is surely there. The same way as we try to boost crowds, the club ought to be really pushing the service. I don't think it is bad for a tenner. 
    I posted it on another thread for some reason but asked Olly after I saw Plymouth's and he said that we had over 3,100 fans tune in for the Lincoln game

Not bad when you consider that iFollow was probably never built for such numbers
  • BalladMan said:
    So some crude maths means that the clubs (once divided up based on home / away ratio) make £8.40 per stream sold.   I did always wonder how much of the £10 goes to the clubs and how much on the service..  It is much higher ratio to the clubs than I thought it would be when you consider apple take 30% of app revenue for doing almost naff all other than providing a shopfront.

For every £10 stream sold £1.66 of that goes straight to the VAT man. So that leaves £8.34 to be divided up between the home club, away club and whatever costs there are for providing the service in the first place.
  • Off_it said:
    BalladMan said:

For every £10 stream sold £1.66 of that goes straight to the VAT man. So that leaves £8.34 to be divided up between the home club, away club and whatever costs there are for providing the service in the first place.
    Home club keeps all their sales and first 500 sales the away club makes.
  • Off_it said:
    BalladMan said:

Home club keeps all their sales and first 500 sales the away club makes.
    Yes, but presumably there is a cost in streaming the games too which gets picked up somewhere along the line.
  • Was it just me or was the stream almost a minute behind real time. Just as Lincoln were sorting out the free kick Golfie Jnr told me that they had got a penalty. He follows the official CAFC twitter feed & so gets updates from that. I happened last season too - funnily enough another penalty. Why is that ?  I've told him he has to turn his phone off or not receive notifications during a match. 
  • Was it just me or was the stream almost a minute behind real time. Just as Lincoln were sorting out the free kick Golfie Jnr told me that they had got a penalty. He follows the official CAFC twitter feed & so gets updates from that. I happened last season too - funnily enough another penalty. Why is that ?  I've told him he has to turn his phone off or not receive notifications during a match. 
    It's about 40 seconds or so behind yeah, very annoying if you get notifications. Was a pain last week trying to sync up the audio with the picture where the audio was in real time 
  • Surely if we're being told no fans back in until March at the very least then they could now do a season ticket or even maybe something like a ten game package?

• If I am watching with my son or brother I tell them to turn their phones off due to the delay. If I am watching on my laptop I pause SSN for a couple of minutes and then play to cover any potential lag. There is nothing worse than hearing about a goal before you see it! 
  • MattF said:
    Was it just me or was the stream almost a minute behind real time. Just as Lincoln were sorting out the free kick Golfie Jnr told me that they had got a penalty. He follows the official CAFC twitter feed & so gets updates from that. I happened last season too - funnily enough another penalty. Why is that ?  I've told him he has to turn his phone off or not receive notifications during a match. 
    It's about 40 seconds or so behind yeah, very annoying if you get notifications. Was a pain last week trying to sync up the audio with the picture where the audio was in real time 
    Internet radio lags badly too. It baffles me why say 5 live on the BBC website should be so far behind my DAB radio, never mind an analogue broadcast!