Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eltham Hill School incident

A pupil from Eltham Hill School was attacked and stabbed just outside the school this afternoon by a "masked man".  A 15 years old girl.

Apparently the injury wasn't life threatening - a wound to the leg - and a teacher and a passer-by managed to get the knife off the attacker, who escaped, but a man was arrested nearby matching the description. 

Does anyone know much about the school? Is this completely unprecedented or does it have a reputation? I know that Eltham can be a bit "earthy" sometimes, but I've not heard of this sort of thing happening to schoolgirls before.

My daughter started there last week and I can't say I was happy about her going there before this incident if I'm honest, let alone now. So any info would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Comments

• I think over recent years there have been a few incidents around the school not necessarily linked however i do remember a big fight a couple years back and knives may have been used then. 
  • My ex-Mrs went there, she's 54 now so a few years ago of course. Used to be the school for young mothers!
  • Firstly I have no idea about this but I do think it seems inconceivable that this was a random attack. I’d imagine there is a back story to this that will emerge in time. Hopefully the poor girl is recovering well. Hope this doesn’t impact on your daughter.
  • I don’t know anything about the school itself, how it’s run, what their security measures are, what the background or reputation of the school is like.

But what I do know and can tell you is that I was there recently, and there were three things that stuck out.

1) It’s so close to the main road, not always a bad thing, but the buildings seem right on top of it whereas most other schools have some distance away.

2) The gates are not high enough. For a school so close to the road, for a school so close to the high street/town centre, they’re not high enough. Anyone, if they really wanted to, could jump over the gates and be on the premises.

3) I had to buzz in from those gates when I was there, but they didn’t even ask who I am. The gates opened without any questions. Admittedly, it was when no one else was around or involved with the school, but that wasn’t the point.

Overall, I wouldn’t be overly worried as unfortunately lots of incidents happen at every school now, it’s wrong, but that’s the world we live in.

What I would want to know if I was in your position, would be what are the school doing to protect their students, staff, and teachers? What do they plan on doing to improve the safety of those at the school? Do they recognise any issues you may have as a problem? If not, why not?

I hope your daughter is okay and not scared of going to school. That is the main thing throughout.
  • edited September 2020
    I only know that i will go to work half hour early rather than share a bus with those pupils returing to Woolwich. They are fucking obnoxious.

• My daughter goes to Eltham Hill school and witnessed this yesterday.  She said the assailant was clearly incredibly nervous and agitated before he made a half hearted attempt to lunge at a random student with a huge knife.  Very fortunately it made a lot less contact than it could have.

It has all the markings of a gang ordered postcode related crime. Horrible.  Fortunately no-one was seriously injured and this scumbag is now in police custody - hopefully he snitches on those that put him up to it.

Today there will be an increased security presence around local schools/McDonalds/Bus stops etc, the school have been brilliant with their response and in no way should this incident have any negative bearing on them.
  • @Off_it I have two daughters at EHS and we are very pleased with the school all round.  There used to be a few minor behaviour issues but since the current head took over things have been tightened up all round.  She is a strong leader and appears to be on top of everything.  This was definitely a non-school related incident so please do not be concerned.
  • My ex-Mrs went there, she's 54 now so a few years ago of course. Used to be the school for young mothers!
    my missus went there, she's 54 too now, maybe they knew each-other?
  • anyway, I thought Eltham Green used to be the problem school?
  • Sponsored links:

• My daughter goes to Eltham Hill school and witnessed this yesterday.  She said the assailant was clearly incredibly nervous and agitated before he made a half hearted attempt to lunge at a random student with a huge knife.  Very fortunately it made a lot less contact than it could have.

It has all the markings of a gang ordered postcode related crime. Horrible.  Fortunately no-one was seriously injured and this scumbag is now in police custody - hopefully he snitches on those that put him up to it.

Today there will be an increased security presence around local schools/McDonalds/Bus stops etc, the school have been brilliant with their response and in no way should this incident have any negative bearing on them.
    If local gangs are ordering the random stabbing of school girls I hope there are a few unfortunate deaths in police custody in response.
    my missus went there, she's 54 too now, maybe they knew each-other?
    Or they're the same lady! *Eastenders drum roll*
    haha - would be f**king hilarious 
  • anyway, I thought Eltham Green used to be the problem school?
    Boy George went there. Or, by his own admittance, he didn't as he spent more time being truant than going to the school
  • Mrs TT went to Eltham Hill, left in 1977 and it was a school for young ladies at the time and she fitted in very well before anyone asks why why she was there.

If local gangs are ordering the random stabbing of school girls I hope there are a few unfortunate deaths in police custody in response.
    If. 

More likely to be someone with a mental health issue and/or known to the victim.

• edited September 2020
  • iainment said:
    My daughter goes to Eltham Hill school and witnessed this yesterday.  She said the assailant was clearly incredibly nervous and agitated before he made a half hearted attempt to lunge at a random student with a huge knife.  Very fortunately it made a lot less contact than it could have.

If. 

More likely to be someone with a mental health issue and/or known to the victim.

Anyone that gets involved in gang culture, and is open to causing physical harm and the potential murder to/of a child, could reasonably be described as having mental health issues.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Off_it I have two daughters at EHS and we are very pleased with the school all round.  There used to be a few minor behaviour issues but since the current head took over things have been tightened up all round.  She is a strong leader and appears to be on top of everything.  This was definitely a non-school related incident so please do not be concerned.
    Thanks. Much appreciated.
  • Is it still known as Eltham Hill on the pill?
  • Davo55 said:
    I went to Eltham Green.
    In about 1970 I had a girlfriend (Suzanne) who went to Eltham Hill.
    I didn't marry her.
    I'm not Boy George.
    Think that covers it.
    So you say, George!
  • edited September 2020
  • Used to be a grammar school.
    When I went to that dire place Brockley County, it was the girls from Eltham Hill who came over to do the female parts in our school plays.
  • seth plum said:
    Used to be a grammar school.
    When I went to that dire place Brockley County, it was the girls from Eltham Hill who came over to do the female parts in our school plays.
    I assume the Brockley County boys weren’t allowed to play with female parts.
  • Actually I had to snog a rather lovely Eltham Hill girl due to my part in 'Sargent Musgrave's Dance'.
    The only time I drew jealous admiration from the other boys.
  • edited September 2020
    seth plum said:
    Used to be a grammar school.
    It was indeed a grammar school and very highly thought of  back in the day.
  • I got a front tooth knocked out at a Disco at Eltham Hill when I was about 15.

Some of those girls were rough.
  • I  had one of my teaching practices there in 1977-8, lovely place and very different to Catford Girls that I went to next.