Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season Ticket Holders returning to The Valley? 16/9: Confirmed; 1000 fans to attend Donny

edited September 2020 in General Charlton

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but when are Charlton fans being allowed back to watch games at The Valley? I renewed my season ticket very early on so assume I would receive 'priority' status for being allowed back. I understood that we are allowing fans in this week but I have heard nothing and still haven't received my season ticket/card. I thought we were allowing 1000 fans in as a bit of a 'pilot'. It doesn't look like I am one of them but unsure why not in the absence of any explanation or update from the club.

Anyone 'ITK' or know more than me on this?

Comments

• I think government only gave the go ahead yesterday for pilot trials.

Football clubs are no difference to any other business who are waiting for government instructions.
  • The plan was/is to have a pilot this Saturday as you say.
    The government put things on hold last week to reassess the situation.
    We'll have to wait and see.
  • The plan was/is to have a pilot this Saturday as you say.
    The government put things on hold last week to reassess the situation.
    We'll have to wait and see.

Getting a bit late to organise and communicate the plans with fans with only 76 hours to kick off. Maybe it's only going to be the fans who replied to the club's appeal for people to designate their 'bubble'. I hadn't considered that only those fans would be part of the pilot, if that proves to be the case.
  • I got an email 2/3 weeks ago asking about my social bubble, who I went to CAFC with, where I sat and how I got there. 

Sent my reply but not heard anything since.
  • Ps this was for this Saturday's game.
  • Someone on here said Season tickets will be sent out next week. I have also applied for the Doncaster game, I have heard nothing.
  • Fairly sure that they are not allowing anything until after 1st October.  There might be a few pilot tests before then at selected venues and Charlton have offered to be a test site.  Can only assume this Saturday's home game will be behind closed doors and a free stream to S/T holders.
  • The English Football League will continue to stage pilots with up to 1,000 fans at matches this weekend, following approval from the government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54158891

Premier league rejected the idea of having 1k as it would have made a loss due to the added costs of running these pilot trials.
  • Yes the Premier League clubs are so short of funds.
  • The English Football League will continue to stage pilots with up to 1,000 fans at matches this weekend, following approval from the government.

Premier league rejected the idea of having 1k as it would have made a loss due to the added costs of running these pilot trials.
    ridiculous, so they won't do it unless they can make money out of it basically ?
  • Sponsored links:

• meldrew66 said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but when are Charlton fans being allowed back to watch games at The Valley? I renewed my season ticket very early on so assume I would receive 'priority' status for being allowed back. I understood that we are allowing fans in this week but I have heard nothing and still haven't received my season ticket/card. I thought we were allowing 1000 fans in as a bit of a 'pilot'. It doesn't look like I am one of them but unsure why not in the absence of any explanation or update from the club.

This season has all the makings of being seriously affected for fans watching professional football.
    I'll be surprised if grounds will take any more than 50% of capacity.
  • meldrew66 said:

This season has all the makings of being seriously affected for fans watching professional football.
    I'll be surprised if grounds will take any more than 50% of capacity.
    Pretty sure 30% is the number that's been discussed on other threads. 
  • edited September 2020
    The English Football League will continue to stage pilots with up to 1,000 fans at matches this weekend, following approval from the government.

ridiculous, so they won't do it unless they can make money out of it basically ?
    Yes and No to that question. Manchester United were meant to get 12k and was offered 1k. Does not really help them get supporters back into the ground when the ground is 2% full. 

Take Leeds for example. Leeds sell out every home & away match. Have almost 30k season ticket holders. You would imagine 1k would probably not even get to include fans who went to every league game last season. At what metric are you meant to choose the 1k without annoying their supporters base. It is easier to say no to anyone than allows a very select minority to attend. 

Yes and No to that question. Manchester United were meant to get 12k and was offered 1k. Does not really help them get supporters back into the ground when the ground is 2% full. 

Take Leeds for example. Leeds sell out every home & away match. Have almost 30k season ticket holders. You would imagine 1k would probably not even get to include fans who went to every league game last season. At what metric are you meant to choose the 1k without annoying their supporters base. It is easier to say no to anyone than allows a very select minority to attend. 

For that number, the costs for stewarding, policing etc... far outweigh any revenue, and 1,000 fans will hardly generate an atmosphere!
  • My mate, who is a Cambridge United supporter, was due to attend their first league match last Saturday but that was pulled following the government’s new limit of 1,000 spectators. Cambridge had previously emailed 1,600 tickets out for the match, but with only 48 hours notice of the change, the logistics we’re too difficult and they couldn’t have hundreds of people with the original tickets turning up in good faith and then being denied entry.

They had staged an EFL Trophy match against Fulham Under 23s last Tuesday with over 800 in the Abbey Stadium and that had gone very well.

It’s obviously too late for Charlton to have a pilot on Saturday and we have to hope that the 1,000 limit is significantly increased before we play Sunderland on 3 October.
  • A nightmare for the clubs, trying to organise this. Contacting fans, organising which parts of the ground can be used, having enough stewards there etc

Probably easier for the smaller clubs in many ways, as they have fewer entrances. If 500 were allowed at Dartford or Welling, it wouldn't be hard to get people to spread out around the pitch, though toilet capacity would still be a problem.
  • Although it can be done. I have been to two FA Cup games this season -my local non league side Risborough Rangers have got through to the 1st Qualifying Round for the first time ever. The ground can hold 1,000 and the Risk Assessment allow them to have up to 300 fans at the ground- and they had 180 & 280 in the two games.

It worked well - Test and Trace being done by App or by pen. Fans keeping their distance and a one way system being used for the toilets and to get food.

It was great to watch football live!

• Blucher said:
    My mate, who is a Cambridge United supporter, was due to attend their first league match last Saturday but that was pulled following the government’s new limit of 1,000 spectators. Cambridge had previously emailed 1,600 tickets out for the match, but with only 48 hours notice of the change, the logistics we’re too difficult and they couldn’t have hundreds of people with the original tickets turning up in good faith and then being denied entry.

They had staged an EFL Trophy match against Fulham Under 23s last Tuesday with over 800 in the Abbey Stadium and that had gone very well.

It’s obviously too late for Charlton to have a pilot on Saturday and we have to hope that the 1,000 limit is significantly increased before we play Sunderland on 3 October.
    I thought Doncaster on Saturday was going to be a pilot?
  • You’re quite right - the club have confirmed it’s happening as well, so I definitely got that one wrong. I’m guessing they’ll email tickets to the lucky 1,000 
  • dickplumb said:
    Someone on here said Season tickets will be sent out next week. I have also applied for the Doncaster game, I have heard nothing.
    How did you apply for the Donny match?
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    dickplumb said:
    Someone on here said Season tickets will be sent out next week. I have also applied for the Doncaster game, I have heard nothing.
    How did you apply for the Donny match?

See @letthegoodtimesroll post.   Call the ticket office and quote what he said then Bob's your uncle.  You'll be on of the unlucky/lucky 1,000.

• edited September 2020
    Ok, so it has just been stated on 'One Football' that Charlton V Doncaster is 1 of 10 matches to have 1000 fans in attendance. As an early renewer if my season ticket AND a longstanding Valley Gold member, should I look forward to receiving my ticket then??!!
  • edited September 2020
    Blucher said:
    You’re quite right - the club have confirmed it’s happening as well, so I definitely got that one wrong. I’m guessing they’ll email tickets to the lucky 1,000 
    It would be nice if the club actually told us how it plans to allocate the 1000 places.
  • meldrew66 said:
    Blucher said:
    You’re quite right - the club have confirmed it’s happening as well, so I definitely got that one wrong. I’m guessing they’ll email tickets to the lucky 1,000 
    It would be nice if the club actually told us how it plans to allocate the 1000 places.
    They’ve said on Twitter more info soon.  As it’s only just been confirmed they probably need to think of the best way without upsetting too many people - would have thought some kind of lottery of season ticket holders.  Or equal split across stands...depends on the test criteria I imagine.
  • The 10 EFL matches allowing 1000 fans in are:

Luton V Derby

Norwich V Preston

Boro V Bournemouth

CAFC V Donny

Blackpool V Swindon

Shrewsbury V Northampton

Hull V Crewe

Forest Green V Bradford City

Carlisle V Southend

Morecambe v Cambridge

• meldrew66 said:

The 10 EFL matches allowing 1000 fans in are:

Luton V Derby

Norwich V Preston

Boro V Bournemouth

CAFC V Donny

Blackpool V Swindon

Shrewsbury V Northampton

Hull V Crewe

Carlisle V Southend

Morecambe v Cambridge

A big difference in the size of the stadiums chosen. FGR only have a capacity of 5000, so 1000 is 20% of capacity, whereas the Riverside seats nearly 35000!
  • meldrew66 said:

The 10 EFL matches allowing 1000 fans in are:

Luton V Derby

Norwich V Preston

Boro V Bournemouth

CAFC V Donny

Blackpool V Swindon

Shrewsbury V Northampton

Hull V Crewe

Carlisle V Southend

Morecambe v Cambridge

A big difference in the size of the stadiums chosen. FGR only have a capacity of 5000, so 1000 is 20% of capacity, whereas the Riverside seats nearly 35000!
    The games selected are quite spread out as well apart from Blackpool and Morecambe so shouldnt be too much travel risk