Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Ham v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 15 September | Post Match Thread

edited September 2020 in General Charlton
Lost 3-0 but personally thought it could've been worse. Thoughts?

Comments

• Thought we played very well despite the result.  Levitt looks like the real deal - there won't be many better midfield pairings in L1 than him and Gilbey.  
  • 3-0 is no disgrace with the two league gap and the fact there starting line up cost in the region of £180 million. 

First 20 minutes of second half was our moment of glory, several decent attacks, with the final shot being hit or miss, when it was hit well Randolph pulled off a good save. 

When they went 2-0 up early on, i was concerned about a heavy defeat, but think the boys wont actually lose confidence about that defeat. 
  • Oh well it's a Mickey mouse cup anyway 😀

Pretty much what I expected when I saw lineups. Actually thought we played pretty well 2nd half.

Not too fussed
  • edited September 2020
    Fair result. The gulf in class was always going to show. Let’s hope we can get some more players through the door - don’t particularly fancy seeing Lapslie (bit harsh as he is well out of his depth at RB) or Oztumer in the team much longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair result. The gulf in class was always going to show. Let’s home we can get some more players through the door, don’t particularly fancy seeing Lapslie (bit harsh as he is well out of his depth at RB) or Oztumer in the team much longer.
    Oztumer I've got hope with, he's scored a lot of goals at this level with an average Walsall
  • Fair result. The gulf in class was always going to show. Let’s home we can get some more players through the door, don’t particularly fancy seeing Lapslie (bit harsh as he is well out of his depth at RB) or Oztumer in the team much longer.
    Oztumer I've got hope with, he's scored a lot of goals at this level with an average Walsall
    Hope you are right but not seen anything from him in the last year to make me think he is good enough. 
  • Showed them too much respect in first half hour. Looked decent after that and deserved a goal. Doughty worth a lot more than Celtic’s offer on that showing. Barker very impressive again; if you’re good enough you’re old enough. Would like to see him as part of the 1st team squad regardless of who we might bring in. Worryingly looked like he and Chucks picked up knocks.
  • A lot of positives to take from the game imo

Barker looked class once again
    Aneke was lively when he came on
    We went 60 minutes without conceding to a front 3 worth £105m
    Levitt grew into the game after a shaky start and looked tidy at times
    We were the better team for large parts of the second half

And most importantly, no injuries. Focus on the league.
    And of course Doughty who looked like he scared the life out of Premier League defenders.
    Hope you are right but not seen anything from him in the last year to make me think he is good enough. 
    Squad player at best for me, even in League 1. Don't see him improving enough to become a regular in the team.
  • Very good second half which we shaded .Barker continues to impress and was our best defender . Levitt Gilbey Doughty will be quality midfield for League one 
  • Sponsored links:

• I said post lockdown that starting jonny and ozzie together behind a lone front man would be a great option. At times it worked wonders tonight against prem opposition. Id love us to try in a league 1 game,

Id stick Doughty at lb however and play 2 holding midfielders to cover him when he surges forward. Aneke made a better impression than bonne tonight so I'd try those 3 together.

Don't think we looked bad but you could see we are short at the back atm, young Barker done himself proud
  • Not ashamed.
    A mad couple of minutes and a late one.
    The opposition had a 44 million quid player up front.
    The players were honest and put a shift in.
    We mustn't underestimate Doncaster.
  • The worst thing that could have happened tonight is take an absolute battering and be lucky it was just 5-0.

That never happened and we did well with what we had and could sacrifice before a more important game at the weekend.

Good to get more game time under the belt for some and some valuable experience for others. 

Onto the next one, just need this takeover done and these bodies in. Bowyer takes care of the rest.

COYR! 
  • Baffled how Chuks can be so unfit that the medical staff didn't even want him to play 45 minutes. He played 41 games for MKD in the season before he joined us, and 35 the season before
    The Charlton effect. 
  • The bargain basement squad is starting to get me down, as have been providing same excuses for years now. Fook knows how Bows must feel.
  • Nothing to be ashamed about. Everybody had a good go and once their nerves settled played some very respectable football against a Premier League side worth more than £150m - WTAF - their reserves nigh on.

If we can get Aneke fit, he will be a monster in League One and like others, think Levitt and Gilbey will be a formidable 2 in a 3 man midfield - hope JFC returns in there too.

On to Saturday, looking forward to it.