Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Alan Minter

The former world champion boxer has died, aged 69. Remember him well from my younger days. RIP Alan. 

Comments

• Options
    RIP Alan, great fighter
  • Options
    Gutted to read that - RIP Alan
  • Options
    RIP great boxer.
  • Options
    RIP Boom Boom
  • Options
    RIP Alan great boxer,great fella,was mates with him when he had queen Adelaide in penge,so sad to hear this
  • Options
    Saw Minter defend his title against Antuofermo in 1980 and then his next defence later that year - the infamous fight against Hagler. Me and my mate were up in the Gods at Wembley and witnessed the scenes from a distance - full bottles of beer were spinning through the air like catherine wheels as they were hurled towards the ring. The most violent crowd scenes I've ever witnessed at a sporting event.

Good fighter.

RIP Alan 
  • Options
    Will never forget his battle with Marvin Hagler. A real fighter. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Alan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP met him once a very nice guy RIP 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    More sad news RIP
  • Options
    What a boxer, remember watching him on the telly as a kid, along with my dad.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Very sad news, achieved an incredible amount especially as a British fighter and fought the best 

Rest in peace 
  • Options
    RIP Alan Minter
  • Options
    Sad news.

I remember vividly watching him progress through the 1972 Olympics in Munich and followed his professional career with interest thereafter.

Others have made reference already to his fight with Marvin Hagler, one of the greats. Alan Boom Boom was on the next rung down which is a compliment.

RIP
  • Options
    69 that’s no age is it. RIP 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was lucky enough to spend an evening with him at a charity boxing event and he was cracking company. 69 is far too young.

RIP Boom Boom
  • Options
    Tenacious and brave. Great fighter.

RIP Alan Boom Boom
  • Options
    Very brave boxer. Was prone to cuts from what I remember but gave it all. RIP Alan
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Very brave boxer. Was prone to cuts from what I remember but gave it all. RIP Alan
    same problem as 'our Enery Cooper' .. Minter was a brave boxer .. R I P
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    not sure if memory playing tricks but seemed to be a staple of Midweek Sports Special and Sportsnight in the late 70's early 80's - the tune of both really evocative.

RIP.
  • Options
    Yes his achilles heel was cuts.....in the Hagler fight he was cut after about a minute under one eye and by the end of the second round above each eye.
    Fought on bravely but unsurprisingly his sight was very much affected and Hagler unfortunately won at a canter, stopping him in the third.😩😩😩

RIP.....Alan.....RIP