Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any pest control experts on here? (Bathroom flies)

Last week or so, started seeing tiny, and I mean tiny, almost dot like, black flies on my bathroom window and surrounding window ledge and tiles, no damp problem in there that I’m aware of,  and I leave the bathroom window on the first safety latch setting when I go to work so that air gets in etc, but when I come home they are back

did some google research and thought at first they maybe drain flies (but they are way smaller than drain flies according to google images), and poured a mixture of white wine vinegar, bleach and baking soda (as per a google search) down the shower plug hole and hand basin, and have sprayed daily the window, frames and ledge with a bleach mixture.
but still they come.....when I’m home and overnight, I have the bathroom window open wider and then it’s not a problem, someone please help.

TIA

Comments

• Big Rob is your man. 

Jus one observation from me, you say they are 'smaller than drain flies' might they be newly hatched drain flies?
  • Put some 'one shot' or Mr muscle drain clearer down the sink, shower, bath. It could be a build up of crud. As Stig says could be newly hatched.
    If it carries on i'll give you our pest controllers number.
  • Stig said:
    Big Rob is your man. 

Jus one observation from me, you say they are 'smaller than drain flies' might they be newly hatched drain flies?
    🤷‍♂️ No idea, but they are minute, can’t see any definition on them 
  • DA9 said:
    Stig said:
    Big Rob is your man. 

🤷‍♂️ No idea, but they are minute, can’t see any definition on them 
    I reckon you could 'ave 'em mate. 
  • I hear @ElfsborgAddick spends a lot of time in the smallest room, maybe try asking him?
  • Bottle of bleach down the plug oles. 
  • Fruit flies have prominent red eyes & sort of sit up. filter flies are smaller & have wings that curl out. These are normally evident in pubs.
    But normal households will get them with indoor plants or very damp rooms like bathrooms. If every bit of moisture is removed for 24 hours the adult cannot reproduce.
    Normally asking a pub to do this is hard going, but with a household it is a lot easier.

Have you had any birds nesting in roof/loft wall cavities?

Have you had any works done to property, plastering?
  • If you can get one/couple on cellotape & take a pic, I'll try & help, my Rentokil trainer days are long gone, but still get calls for help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fumbluff said:
    I hear @ElfsborgAddick spends a lot of time in the smallest room, maybe try asking him?
    Have a massive Donald, and stink the buggers out.
  • When I worked on a support team in a large building many moons ago, we had a case of what I think was drain flies in one of the toilets. They were big buggers and we needed professional help to get rid. Yours sound different. 
  • edited September 2020
    Are you certain they are flies and not spiders?
    I had the same a few weeks ago but they were spiders.
  • Stig said:
    Big Rob is your man. 

Or maybe drain flies that are further away?
  • edited September 2020
    Maybe you’re a carrier?🥴🥴🥴
  • Fumbluff said:
    I hear @ElfsborgAddick spends a lot of time in the smallest room, maybe try asking him?
    Duck?
  • Stig said:
    Big Rob is your man. 

Or maybe drain flies that are further away?
    Cows?

• Fumbluff said:
    Duck?
    Trump.
  • Fumbluff said:
    And he is definitely a pest. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Do you live in a rural area?  Bit late in the season but these sound like wheat flies or thrips to me.

These get in every nook and cranny imaginable and even crawl into LCD screens, etc and are a real nuisance.  Anyway, if so, the fact you are leaving the window open could be the problem.
  • Are these them?
  • Those are the buggers we had in the office toilet.They look a cross between a fly and a moth.
  • Probably shouldn’t bury the victims under the bathroom floor
  • I used to do work for British Gas on solar and looked after the Thames Water sites. My van would get covered in these by the time I left a sewage treatment works. Wouldn't dare open the window until I was long gone from site.

• Managed to get a photo last night, with my camera zoom, it shows this has antenna and slightly more bug like, that’s a penny coin next to it for size, there are many smaller flie like bugs, almost triangular in shape that I haven’t managed to photograph yet
  • Thanks all BTW for the tips 
  • DA9DA9
    edited September 2020
    cafcfan said:
    Do you live in a rural area?  Bit late in the season but these sound like wheat flies or thrips to me.

These get in every nook and cranny imaginable and even crawl into LCD screens, etc and are a real nuisance.  Anyway, if so, the fact you are leaving the window open could be the problem.
    No, flat in town centre, starting to think maybe a neighbour (above & below me) may have a damp issue as recently you can sometimes smell what I think is damp in communal hall/stairs, emailed the managing agents yesterday to ask them to investigate

i closed the window shut tight yesterday all day just to check that, came home last night and they were back, left it open last night, nothing this morning
  • We had a similar issue a few years ago. I was tearing my hair out as to where they were coming from.
    Pulled my toilet out and sink and gave all drain points from the bathroom a good clean. Lifted up the manhole and cleaned in there. They disappeared for a few days then returned. Spoke to a pest controller. He said their must be a build up somewhere. Then I remembered the storm drain at the back of the garage that i never really took any notice of. It was full of sludge and pretty much blocked. When I started to clean it the flies started popping up all around the drain.
    Bingo
    ( Check all of your drains)
  • Had a similar issue a few years ago and one of our drain waste pipe was leaking into the foundations. Once it was sorted the flies disappeared.