Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 2020/21

Starting the thread for the new season ahead of fixture release tomorrow.

I wonder if clubs have any say in delaying certain fixtures until later in the season when fans are more likely to be allowed to games.

Imagine if one of Leeds first home games back in the top flight was Man United and no fans could go.

If more fans are allowed to attend as the season goes on it will put added emphasis on the home games during the run in.

Comments

• Starting the thread for the new season ahead of fixture release tomorrow.

I wonder if clubs have any say in delaying certain fixtures until later in the season when fans are more likely to be allowed to games.

Imagine if one of Leeds first home games back in the top flight was Man United and no fans could go.

If more fans are allowed to attend as the season goes on it will put added emphasis on the home games during the run in.
    The fixture computer has many many algorithms to be able to produce the fixtures.....starting with making sure local teams are not both at home on the same day (Everton/Liverpool, Man City/Man U etc), then making sure that boxing day /easter have local derbies (although recently that has become a bit blurred) so I doubt that the EPL are that concerned to make sure Leeds v Man U is later on in the season. 
  • And then they move them all when Sky announce their fixtures?

The fixture computer has many many algorithms to be able to produce the fixtures.....starting with making sure local teams are not both at home on the same day (Everton/Liverpool, Man City/Man U etc), then making sure that boxing day /easter have local derbies (although recently that has become a bit blurred) so I doubt that the EPL are that concerned to make sure Leeds v Man U is later on in the season. 
    I’m aware of all the intricacies of compiling the fixtures, I was just wondering how much leeway a club has over certain fixtures.

I remember us requesting to play Portsmouth on the game that coincided with the BTTV celebrations.

I was wondering if clubs this year could request games they really wanted a bigger home support for (eg. Man Utd @ Leeds) to be held later in the season.
    I’m sure some clubs would have at least made the request, even if it would likely be ignored.

Oh God, not the same algorithams they used for the A Level results?

That worked out well.
  • edited August 2020
    Liverpool vs Leeds on the first day of the season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53846138
  • edited August 2020
    Why have Wolves got a scheduled game for the 14th September yet Man City and Man Utd get their fixtures at a later date?

Same with Chelsea, all four of them were in Europe so have gone far beyond the rest of the Premier League meaning all four should surely get an extended break?

Was only four days between Wolves v Sevilla and Man City v Lyon!!
  • The agreement between clubs was a minimum 30 day break. So moving the Wolves and Chelsea games to the Monday makes the 30 days.

City and United - exactly 30 days would then impact the next weekends fixtures so those 2 games will be rescheduled for later in the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tough run in for Villa and Palace.
    West Ham could be bottom after 7 games

a bit of a useless table when you dont know who will sign for who, you cant just assume teams coming up are going to be the whipping boys. What a load of rubbish whoever creates this rubbish.
  • Why are City favourites?

Liverpool beat them by 18 points and are possibly signing Thiago to strengthen their weakest area, whereas City have lost Silva and Sane, and I'm not sure Ake is going to save the defence on his own.
  • It’s based on bookies odds.
    The guy has updated it at the end of the transfer window in past seasons.
    Leeds are 11th.
    Its a representation of the fixture list.
    You don’t have to look at it.

So based on that table and going by what they usually do, Palace will be utter shit for most of the season but will have a little run from mid-Jan to the end of Feb and pick up about 17-18 points from 7 games then be useless for the rest of the season.
    Leeds are 11th.
    Wasn't having a dig mate, was just suggesting seems a strange one for the bookies to have City as favourites over Liverpool.
  • Why are City favourites?

Liverpool beat them by 18 points and are possibly signing Thiago to strengthen their weakest area, whereas City have lost Silva and Sane, and I'm not sure Ake is going to save the defence on his own.
    Sane didn't play all last season anyway as he was injured, but they have replaced him with Torres so will be stronger there. Foden will step up and play more to replace Silva.

Their defence is the issue, so Ake is an improvement but they need definitely another signing. If they get Koulibaly that'd make them much stronger.

But i do agree it's strange to make them favourites over a side that won the league by 18 points and lost only 3 games. 
  • I think City will always be favourites simply because of their resources
  • edited August 2020
    It’s based on bookies odds.
    Leeds are 11th.
    Wasn't having a dig mate, was just suggesting seems a strange one for the bookies to have City as favourites over Liverpool.
    I didn’t even see you post mate. I actually think we posted at the same time. I’d have Liverpool as favourites too. My reply was to Johnny.
  • Liverpool's title defence will again be relying on their first XI not getting injured. They don't have the squad that City do, but they're fortunate in that their main players never get injured.

In both of the past two seasons, 7 of their first XI have played in at least 34 of the 38 games.

I don't know what their fitness staff do but it works absolute miracles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Liverpool's title defence will again be relying on their first XI not getting injured. They don't have the squad that City do, but they're fortunate in that their main players never get injured.

In both of the past two seasons, 7 of their first XI have played in at least 34 of the 38 games.

I don't know what their fitness staff do but it works absolute miracles.
    Wonder if their scouting looks deep into the injury history of the players that they're looking to sign

Apart from Gomez (who did his ACL whilst playing for Liverpool) do many of their players have records of missing large periods of Football?

Imagine its the sort of shopping that Gallen would love to be able to do
    Leeds are 11th.
    True, fair enough i was just saying it looks a pointless table. my opinion but its effectively someones predictions, nothing concrete. Or maybe it will be interesting to see how accurate it is? who knows each to their own. 
  • I like the look of Palace in 17th. They really need a good transfer window, Roy has (sadly) overachieved with that squad
  • Let's hope they don't get one.
  • iaitch said:
    Let's hope they don't get one.
    Zaha leaves ideally, although if they bring in Watkins and a couple others  they are meant to be looking at they will be fine. They always seem to do enough though and seem to be part of the furniture these days unfortunately we can only hope :(
  • iaitch said:
    Zaha leaves ideally, although if they bring in Watkins and a couple others  they are meant to be looking at they will be fine. They always seem to do enough though and seem to be part of the furniture these days unfortunately we can only hope :(
    Likes of Watkins and Eze (Are they still after him?) could easily be the type of Championship player that doesnt have that little bit extra to succeed in the Premier League
  • iaitch said:
    Likes of Watkins and Eze (Are they still after him?) could easily be the type of Championship player that doesnt have that little bit extra to succeed in the Premier League
    I rate Watkins alot, think he would be good for any middle/bottom range team. Would suit Palars or West Ham imo, Eze was one of the others, only really seen bits. Agreed both are untested but both talents which have the qualities it could work, no gurantee in footy, remember when Jon Stead stepped up was scoring for fun, then hit his wall and down he slid. 

Looks like you were right. Leeds v Man U in late April. 
  • All Premier League fixtures in September will be televised live, with Leicester City's home match against Burnley to be broadcast on the BBC.
    Sky Sports and BT Sport have selected 17 games each for the first three matches rounds of the new season, which starts on Saturday.
    Of the remaining 11, Sky will show six, BT Sport three, and the BBC and Amazon Prime will broadcast one each.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54076539
  • Phillips looks pretty good when he’s in a system that has movement and a manager encouraging him to play forward.