Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why are so many people not wearing face masks?

Genuine question. 

I travel regularly on trains and tube for work and am astonished at the high numbers who are not wearing a face mask at all or who wear it on their chin or forehead - in which case, why wear one there at all? I am guessing just in case there is the small chance they get challenged and then they will put it on to save being fined?

I appreciate some people have hidden illnesses and disabilities. If most of those not wearing them have a hidden reason, there is an astonishing number with these conditions. I appreciate it may not be possible for everyone, but I know people with some of these conditions who are wearing a mask; partially because they are actually more vulnerable because of said condition.

Of course I am not an expert but like the majority, I am not qualified to be able to make a decision about whether it is better to wear one or not. But it seems such a little sacrifice and discomfort, if it makes  a difference.

I don't want to offend anyone with this comment, which is only based on my experience, but the majority of those I have seen are from groups disproportionately affected by the virus.

Comments

• Maybe its a London thing? Where I live (town in the south west) I'd say its pretty much 100% compliance. 

• If someone tries to get on a bus while not wearing a fa w covering, the bus driver should be able to press a button to charge the person £10-20 more than their standard journey.

if their oyster or card does not have enough money, they have to get off. 

Doesn’t stop them taking it off or moving it to their neck/ forehead/ just covering their mouth whilst in the bus but would help.

A while ago, someone suggested that not wearing a mask when mandated should be as socially unacceptable as drink driving. Unfortunately Han it is mandated and when not is a bit difficult to keep track of but most people should know:

On public transport you must wear a mask
    inside a shop wear a mask

Quite often we are the only people in small shops including g the staff who have masks on properly, which is a failure of the government and media in selling the importance of I protect you, you protect me. 
  • You should visit Folkestone... Virus what virus!

You see in some Dutch towns this week by order of the Mayor's they've stopped wearing masks completely!

If you look back at the 1918 Spanish flu even then after a while people got fed up following rules.

At my college we expect there to be an outbreak soon when the kids come in wearing their masks on their heads!

I'm afraid this reluctance to conform will probably happen everywhere. 
  • Was in a supermarket this afternoon, and really surprised how few people were wearing a mask. But then they weren't challenged by staff/security
  • edited August 2020
    I imagine it’s because the argument is out on how protective they are, there seems to be differing opinions?

Bus drivers nor supermarkets enforce it and they should if it’s a government ruling but then again not all bus drivers wear them.

I’ve also only got one ear and it keeps slipping off!
  • Kids going back to school next week (Sevenoaks) have been told that they need to wear a face mask on the bus or they wont be allowed on. I expect 99% will comply but I also expect 1 or 2 will be difficult & wont. No idea what the bus driver will do.....I expect to keep the peace (and to get the kids to school on time) he will allow them on. Might be a Mexican stand-off but I doubt it. My experience is that kids/teenagers/ 20 somethings are more likely to comply than not. To them it's their new normal. 
  • My eldest son is autistic and panics wearing a mask, but he has a lanyard round his neck containing a message card to explain it I, myself, couldn’t imagine going to a supermarket or getting on a train/tube without one.
  • Some of us cannot.

• Sponsored links:

• Been using Merseyrail everyday this week and pretty much everyone is wearing a mask. Same in our local supermarkets. There are a few ‘look at me’ dickheads but far fewer than I feared.
  • hawksmoor said:
    My eldest son is autistic and panics wearing a mask, but he has a lanyard round his neck containing a message card to explain it I, myself, couldn’t imagine going to a supermarket or getting on a train/tube without one.
    I appreciate some cannot
  • If you think this country is bad, I have just looked at pictures from Matalan in USA, (worth a look), where people wear all sorts of face coverings, including one with a piece of toilet paper over his mouth, some men with underpants over their face and women with knickers over their face. It is a shame one man did not bother to wash his pants before putting over his head, say no more  :)
  • I imagine it’s because the argument is out on how protective they are, there seems to be differing opinions?

Bus drivers nor supermarkets enforce it and they should if it’s a government ruling but then again not all bus drivers wear them.

Bus drivers in London don't need to wear masks as their cab is sealed off from the passenger area
  • Appreciate that. But I the numbers who are not (and the age group) are far higher than I would expect to be unable to
  • I get a bus, train then tube to and from work and would say approx 95% of people on each mode wear a mask. I am travelling quite early so most are construction type workers like myself on the way home more mixed but still virtually everyone wearing masks. I have my wits about me as I am weary of the danger so I'm confident with my estimate
  • I posted in the corona thread about my experiences at butlins. I would say as low as 40% didn’t bother with masks or social distancing. Only one day did they have staff on doors checking but as soon as people were through the checkpoints, off they came. 

Staff in doors had them round their necks or not at all. 

Shame as they clearly put effort in to ensure social distancing was adhered to during the entertainment, colour coding chairs and getting people to leave when the chair colour was called etc but in the main tent area, free for all! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to the co-op this evening in Murston. 
    Didn't really think about it at the time but on the way home I realised that I was one of the 3 out of 7 in there who had a mask on (was a CAFC one, thanks Steve).
    Suppose I'm lucky I don't have to use public transport daily, but yes, I think I would be annoyed if I was travelling daily with people who don't care about others. I understand that some can't wear them but unfortunately there are a lot of selfish bastards out there.
  • edited August 2020
    I'm glad I'm not on the commute in, people who think rules don't apply to them make me go mad. As in I go irrationally mad, and incredibly quickly.

I have called 3 people/groups a series of expletives for walking and deliberately not leaving enough space (for example walking in the middle of the pavement when I am literally up against a wall to keep distance from them) or a group of dozy bints who walk 3 abreast on the pavement. I'm a right laugh to be around, honest. And it's not that I'm worried about me, it's more to make them wake up to the actually vulnerable people who are walking around. 

On another note, controversial I know - but for me, if you aren't wearing a mask (for whatever reason) you don't go to areas people are required to wear masks in. I am a firm believer that you should be able to do whatever you want in life as long as you don't harm anyone else, and just because you have an illness or are disabled does not mean that you can't infect me or my loved ones. 

If masks protected the wearer, fine, but they are there to protect others. 

A moot point anyway though because no one can enforce it!
  • I think most wear them to be fair, the small number that aren’t I’d guess just forgot it (I’ve reached co-op several times and had to walk to my house to get it).

Then there’s the ones who don’t have to because of medical conditions etc. 

And finally there’s a tiny tiny minority, probably flat earthers, George Soros conspiracist and 5g odd balls.
  • My brother told me about how he had to get an Uber with a jumper wrapped around his face because he forgot his mask 😅🤣🤣
  • Must admit to having reservations to the effectiveness of masks and especially face coverings. 

We are told masks offer protection to others rather than the wearer.  Does this mean that airborne particles (of one micron in size) are small enough to penetrate through a wearer's mask, but cant penetrate in the other direction as the wearer exhales?

I'm sure some people wear these filthy masks day in day out, and some, albeit a minority, discard them to the the floor or leave in open public bins.  As someone passed me the other day, they flicked their mask off just as we were adjacent, it was as though a slingshot full of C19 was headed in my direction.  :o

If we all wore medical grade masks and sanitised scrupulously on attaching and disposing safely, I would have no argument.  

Despite my opinion, I still wear a mask (where necessary) out of respect to others sensitivities.

P.S.  Sainsbury Bexleyheath, pipe a message in requesting customers leave maskless shoppers alone and not question their motives.

• I have traveled on a few trains and tubes recently as well as buses, and reckon 20% to30% of people do not wear face masks. Asked a friend of mine who is in the police about this and he told all they have to say is that they are exempt and he can do nothing about them not wearing a face covering. 
    So basically it is not enforceable.
  • I imagine it’s because the argument is out on how protective they are, there seems to be differing opinions?

Bus drivers in London don't need to wear masks as their cab is sealed off from the passenger area
    That's not entirely true because there are still holes in the panels and at the same time some drivers do wear them and perhaps it would be useful if they set an example, and they all wore them, to encourage others to do the same.

If I'm honest, for the most part of this lockdown since March I haven't worn a mask and only do so now the regulations are tightening up but as I said I'm not sure how effective they are?

I do feel we see the extremes of peoples behaviour some take things extremely seriously and have a heart attack if you get within 0.0000001 of breaking social distancing and other perhaps like me who feel fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

I do feel there is a lot of scaremongering going on but that's just me.