Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EFL Trophy 2020/2021

Urghhhh why are we back in this competition again, think being in it is one of the worst things about being in League one.

Add to that last season we were playing Fulhams first team, now we will possibly play their youth team(and probably lose)

The dates for the 2020/21 EFL Trophy are as follows:

• Matchday 1 - September 8th/9th 2020

• Matchday 2 - October 6th/7th 2020

• Matchday 3 - November 10th/11th 2020

• Round of 32 - December 8th/9th 2020

• Round of 16 - January 12th/13th 2021

• Quarter-Finals - February 2nd/3rd 2021

• Semi-Finals - 16/17 February 16th/17th 2021

• Final - March 14th 2021

Category One Invited Clubs taking part in the 2020/21 EFL Trophy competition have now been confirmed and are as follows: 

• Arsenal • Aston Villa • Brighton & Hove Albion

• Chelsea • Fulham • Leeds United

• Leicester City • Liverpool • Manchester City

• Manchester United • Newcastle United • Norwich City (EFL)

• Southampton • West Bromwich Albion • West Ham United

• Wolverhampton Wanderers

The Group Stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday, August 18th at 1.30pm on TalkSPORT 2.  

Comments

• Can only hope that Fulham U23s do beat us

Means we dont have to put up with the damn thing 
  • Terrible competition. Can we not enter it? Not sold on the idea that its a big day out at wembley, if Charlton play there i want it to be a game i honestly care about, i.e a play off final
  • Even if we were to reach Wembley I can honestly say I would not go.
    Being in league one is bad enough but having to play in this shite competition is just embarrassing. 
  • What a nonsense competition this is.
  • Less is more. Why not have the EFL Cup for EFL teams only, that way two teams get a trip to Wembley. Premier League moan about but bet they'll moan more if not in it.
  • And do away with the EFL Trophy.
  • edited August 2020
    iaitch said:
    Less is more. Why not have the EFL Cup for EFL teams only, that way two teams get a trip to Wembley. Premier League moan about but bet they'll moan more if not in it.
    Bet the Europa League slot that the winners get would be removed if that was the case

Would automatically get given to the team that finishes 6th or lower (dependant on other cup performances) in the Premier League
  • Probably would be but so what.
  • Sponsored links:

• Put all the current Adult season ticket holders in a hat and the first 20out are our squad for the tournament and guaranteed at least 30 minutes. 

I know you have to pay a fine if you don’t field so many from the previous league game so they will have to start and be subbed after kick off to ensure there is no fine. 

• What was the reasoning behind this competition? Now it just seems to be of benefit to Premier teams under 20 sides.
  • Urghhhh why are we back in this competition again, think being in it is one of the worst things about being in League one.

Add to that last season we were playing Fulhams first team, now we will possibly play their youth team(and probably lose)

The dates for the 2020/21 EFL Trophy are as follows:

• Matchday 1 - September 8th/9th 2020

• Matchday 2 - October 6th/7th 2020

• Matchday 3 - November 10th/11th 2020

• Round of 32 - December 8th/9th 2020

• Round of 16 - January 12th/13th 2021

• Quarter-Finals - February 2nd/3rd 2021

• Semi-Finals - 16/17 February 16th/17th 2021

• Final - March 14th 2021

Category One Invited Clubs taking part in the 2020/21 EFL Trophy competition have now been confirmed and are as follows: 

• Arsenal • Aston Villa • Brighton & Hove Albion

• Chelsea • Fulham • Leeds United

• Leicester City • Liverpool • Manchester City

• Manchester United • Newcastle United • Norwich City (EFL)

• Southampton • West Bromwich Albion • West Ham United

• Wolverhampton Wanderers

The Group Stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday, August 18th at 1.30pm on TalkSPORT 2.  

I see that the League Cup starts the previous week (sat 5th) - looks like at least 2 games before the League season even starts. Weird season this one.
  • Some good news at least

Weve been drawn with Wimbledon and Leyton Orient (U23 team gets named later I think) - How EXCITING is that!!

Get in

Weve been drawn with Wimbledon and Leyton Orient (U23 team gets named later I think) - How EXCITING is that!!

Get in
    Such a tinpot tournament that they can't even do the entire draw at the same time.

What's the reasoning behind drawing the U23 teams at a later date?

Get in
    Such a tinpot tournament that they can't even do the entire draw at the same time.

What's the reasoning behind drawing the U23 teams at a later date?
    Its to drag out the suspense... They should try doing it with some of the lesser competitions like the FA Cup and Champions League

Havent felt this excited since well NEVER!! 
  • AFC Wimbledon
    Charlton
    Leyton Orient
    U23 team: Arsenal / Brighton / Chelsea / Fulham / Norwich / Southampton / WBA / West Ham

Out of all the crap this tournament throws at you. the worst thing about this competition has to be that we might get drawn against West Brom or Fulham youth teams. We didn’t lose to either of their senior sides last season, it’s nonsense.
    The way the teams are in our Group you'd be praying that we dont get West Brom due to Geographical reasons

Then again we got Swansea U23s in our Group two years ago with Wimbledon and Stevenage!! 
  • Ffs totally forgot about this total sham, quicker we're out of this the better frankly 
  • Sponsored links:

• AFC Wimbledon
    Charlton
    Leyton Orient
    U23 team: Arsenal / Brighton / Chelsea / Fulham / Norwich / Southampton / WBA / West Ham

Out of all the crap this tournament throws at you. the worst thing about this competition has to be that we might get drawn against West Brom or Fulham youth teams. We didn’t lose to either of their senior sides last season, it’s nonsense.
    It'll be our youth team as well i'm sure.

Bowyer will probably just field whoever and take the fine for not fielding a strong enough team.
  • Just looked and they didn't even bother playing last years final. Sums it up really.
  • AFC Wimbledon
    Charlton
    Leyton Orient

It'll be our youth team as well i'm sure.

Bowyer will probably just field whoever and take the fine for not fielding a strong enough team.

And pay it out of his own pocket as there's no one else to pay it!

In a shortened season this competition should be well and truly scrapped. Though I suppose its the one competition that wont be affected by the COVID-19 restrictions; there were never any spectators anyway....except Seb of course, and sadly even he won't be there this time. RIP Seb.
  • classic EFL sucking the balls of the sponsors to the detriment of all concerned
    no wit, imagination or care for its primary responsibility
    so long as the filthy cash keeps rolling in the paymasters get what they want with not one moment's consideration for any of the consequences
    EFL executive is the motliest rabble of dullard whores addicted to the cash to the very depths of degradation - make the ECB look almost halfway competent
    this 'competition' has been dead by any reasonable metric for 2 or 3 seasons already
    flogging it one more time in a season when far more serious matters need much greater attention is the EFL all over
  • You know a competition has been devalued when they can't get a sponsor...
  • cafctom said:
    I’m sure there were many fixtures in this competition with attendances less than 1,000 over the past few years. Infact quite a few clubs broke their own records for lowest ever attendance for a competitive fixture with this competition.

The only reason I can think of for why it continues is purely due to some sort of funding/arse licking of the Premier League clubs involved 
    Agreed, and I think it’s just further testing the waters for Premier League B teams being part of the EFL. 
  • edited August 2020
    cafctom said:
    I’m sure there were many fixtures in this competition with attendances less than 1,000 over the past few years. Infact quite a few clubs broke their own records for lowest ever attendance for a competitive fixture with this competition.

The only reason I can think of for why it continues is purely due to some sort of funding/arse licking of the Premier League clubs involved 
    Agreed. The introduction of Category 1 Under 23 teams was the result of serious toadying to the Premier League for rejecting the idea of Premier League 'B teams' joining the pyramid in the lower leagues. This idiotic proposal was suggested by Greg Dyke (doubtless at the behest of the Premier League barons) whilst he was coming to the end of his tenure as FA Chairman. Our pyramid structure is the one really distinctive feature of the English game, something to be proud of and something that is very much admired all over Europe. The use of Greg Dyke as a mouthpiece just about sums up how totally irrelevant the FA now are.

The EFL Cup clearly does not have a sponsor, now that Checkatrade and Leasing.com have moved on.
    https://www.espn.co.uk/football/johnstones-paint-trophy/story/2904442/fans-unhappy-over-under-23-team-plans-for-efl-trophy

The whole thing is a waste of time for Charlton, save maybe for giving a few youth players in the Under 23s a taste of something a little different.

Given the financial pressures on League 1 and 2 squads post-Covid, I'm really surprised that clubs have been saddled with a minimum of 3 extra fixtures in September. The salary cap also drives a move towards smaller squads, so it's even more of a nonsense.
  • I really thought that with the season starting late, the possibility of maybe stopping football again if we get a second wave of Covid (heaven forbid) that they would have dropped this tinpot cup. Leagues 1 and 2 couldn’t even complete last season for financial reasons yet they continue with this farce. Madness.
  • cafctom said:

Agreed, and I think it’s just further testing the waters for Premier League B teams being part of the EFL. 
    The Premier League teams can f*** right off.

If you've got so many players that you effectively have another squad then you've got too many - that's your fault and we shouldn't have to make up competitions, or adapt existing ones, to keep them occupied.