Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Big Match Re visited

Hi all currently watching Fulham Charlton from 1977, little before my time. What were like to follow back then? Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Hi all currently watching Fulham Charlton from 1977, little before my time. What were like to follow back then? Thanks for any insight.
    Thanks, i didn't know it was on.
    Great fun to follow, not huge numbers but many a good laugh was had.
  • Was at that game.Fulham had Best,Marsh and Moore in their team.We had sold Killer but Flanagan was starting to score a lot .We had a good season.Funny can't remember where we met for a drink but can remember more about meeting up Charing X in 71 and the 'events 'of that day.Happy days
  • Was at that game.Fulham had Best,Marsh and Moore in their team.We had sold Killer but Flanagan was starting to score a lot .We had a good season.Funny can't remember where we met for a drink but can remember more about meeting up Charing X in 71 and the 'events 'of that day.Happy days
    Was 71 the pub with the pool table and bell? or 77?
  • Think that that might be 77 but memory not great
  • Loved that era, as many on here did. Just had a look at the final league table of that season. Finished 7th, just 4 points off a promotion spot. But, we only won 2 away games, drawing 11. Actually, lost 1 less game than Forest who went up in 3rd.
    By 1980, they’d won the League and European Cup and we were heading for Division 3.
  • Just getting old enough to go to aways on my own and those days were priceless.  Always had great "laughs" at the London games, so thoroughly ashamed of myself! :|
  • What is the keeper doing there. 
  • Just from that Fulham game highlights the keeper Wood and Peacock, looked good players. Were they the standout players of that season?
  • KettsJohn said:
    Great days. The valley was huge. I used to move around from covered end to east terrace. I think being a Charlton fan was fairly similar then in terms of results and expectations. At school there were very few Charlton supporters. Loved those days though. I love our history. Still often dream that I am at the valley as it was back in the 70s! They use to sell roasted peanuts. A guy use to walk through the crowd shouting "peanuts". 
    I think @Six-a-bag-of-nuts might be able to help you with the exact wording the guy used to shout..!
  • Sponsored links:

• Just from that Fulham game highlights the keeper Wood and Peacock, looked good players. Were they the standout players of that season?
    I would say Mike "Flash" Flanagan and Colin "Paddy" Powell were probably up there as the ones that fans identified most with. Bob Curtis and Phil Warman were favourites of mine too.

I would say Mike "Flash" Flanagan and Colin "Paddy" Powell were probably up there as the ones that fans identified most with. Bob Curtis and Phil Warman were favourites of mine too.

Thinking about it and the phrase "identified with" I just wonder who are the players that young fans come away from the Valley wanting to be like nowadays?

I remember how disappointed I was when one of the four players I mentioned weren't in the side (and others too) because they were part of the furniture but when you have a situation as we do now, where not one player has played even a hundred games for the Club, it must be difficult for youngsters to generate that same affinity.  In Solly and Taylor have left we've lost the longest serving player and the talisman and they must have had their followers.

Probably rose tinted glasses on my part but I wouldn't swap the '70s for any other era of following us.

Football as we know it is very different nowadays.
    My favourite era was the 80's, the casual movement was exciting.

Thinking about it and the phrase "identified with" I just wonder who are the players that young fans come away from the Valley wanting to be like nowadays?
    That’s great to hear. My dad was a Chelsea fan and he loved to talk about the 60s and 70s as brilliant times to watch football.
  • Nice interview today around 40 minutes in Derek Hales and Colin Powell for the1976 goal vs Hull. Both are just so softly spoken and humble.
  • I was already smitten by 1977. It would have been my 2nd or 3rd season going with the old man. Too young to go to away games so used to listen to LBC. We were rubbish away from home and to win we’d invariably had to score at least 3. Powell was my favourite, but little Richie Bowman was a great little player. 
    He lived 50 yards down the road from me in Lee Church Street, Lewisham.
  • I was already smitten by 1977. It would have been my 2nd or 3rd season going with the old man. Too young to go to away games so used to listen to LBC. We were rubbish away from home and to win we’d invariably had to score at least 3. Powell was my favourite, but little Richie Bowman was a great little player. 
    I used to work in the woodman on lee high road.... the governor there and his son are Charlton.... I lived on the opposite side of Lee High Road in Aislibie Road. I remember Richie being from around our way but didn’t realise is was so close ..... cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• I spoke to Richie recently and told him I remembered as a kid, an action photo of him scoring a goal in the programme. (I was assuming he was thinking go away you weirdo).
    I was amazed when he said, yes that was me scoring against Hereford I remember it well.

My gob has rarely been so smacked.
    I used to work in the woodman on lee high road.... the governor there and his son are Charlton.... I lived on the opposite side of Lee High Road in Aislibie Road. I remember Richie being from around our way but didn’t realise is was so close ..... cheers
    I lived opposite The Greyhound.

Max Wall lived not far from me as well.  He used the boozer at the top of Lee Church Street, whose name escapes me.

Max Wall lived not far from me as well.  He used the boozer at the top of Lee Church Street, whose name escapes me.
    The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
    When I was old enough to drink I'd go in there.  Is it still open?

I think The Greyhound and The Swan are both gone.
  • Royal Oak now flats

Greyhound is a health business

The Swan is now a bar called "Elements"

The Woodman is a Plumbing shop
  • Just googled Elements, it does not have the character of The Swan.

Four pubs in a 5 minutes walk reduced to one, a shame.
  • @SporadicAddick, I remember a few beers in the Mid Kent Tavern outside Lewisham Station, it was so narrow I'd struggle walking past the bar nowadays.
    That was decent.
  • @SporadicAddick, I remember a few beers in the Mid Kent Tavern outside Lewisham Station, it was so narrow I'd struggle walking past the bar nowadays.
    That was decent.
    walked past it hundreds of times, never went in...

Add The Dacre Arms to the Lee Church Street pubs / Woodman and there were 5 pubs withing a 2 / 3 minute walk. A good circuit...

The other one was New Tigers Head, Old Tigers Head, The Prince Arthur and Duke of Edinburgh. 
    That was decent.
    walked past it hundreds of times, never went in...

Add The Dacre Arms to the Lee Church Street pubs / Woodman and there were 5 pubs withing a 2 / 3 minute walk. A good circuit...

The other one was New Tigers Head, Old Tigers Head, The Prince Arthur and Duke of Edinburgh. 
    The Rose of Lee on the corner near Frys Motors as well.
  • I nominate @SporadicAddick to start/run a thread called 'The Pub Spy'!