Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheff Weds Decision 12 points Next season

Comments

• Not surprised. When did Charlton ever get a ruling go in their favour? We can't even get a red card overturned.
    So Championship clubs (who weren't cheated against) get handed a huge advantage next season. Whilst the clubs that were cheated against this season, get punished. What a screwed up world we live in!
  • Got a feeling the local stationers will have to order some more brown envelopes
  • The fact that it has now been announced will make it very difficult for a legal challenge to be successful. If by some miracle they did an about turn and apply points deduction this season instead, Wednesday would appeal that also.
  • edited August 2020
    Correct, which if you are into conspiracies is exactly why the decision making was delayed and why, when it was announced, it was late on a Friday the day before the Cup Final, the optimum timing and opportunity to avoid as long as possible the inevitable reaction and to let it dissipate and disappear with the Sunday andMonday papers concentrating on Arsenal or Chelsea. The PR people at the EFL must have been chortling away in the wine bar last night at a job well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2020
    Yes, we know the decision was ultimately delayed to prevent it being successfully appealed by Wednesday or another club and alter the outcome of the season at an untimely stage. Just before the new season kicks off for a start. Had Barnsley not scored that added time goal, we MAY have seen a different outcome.
  • Did we expect anything less from the clowns at the EFL? 
  • The fact that it has now been announced will make it very difficult for a legal challenge to be successful. If by some miracle they did an about turn and apply points deduction this season instead, Wednesday would appeal that also.
    I agree. IF say Barnsley and CAFC take legal action that will take weeks and if successful Chef Wendy will appeal and that will take a further number of weeks. In the meantime the season will have to be suspended until the final outcome is known, be lucky if the Championship starts this side of Xmas. 
  • It would be interesting if we tried to get an injunction stopping the start of the season until the matter is resolved.

The threat should at least concentrate the minds.
  • edited August 2020
    @Redmidland - I think the actual offence was in 2017/18. But that's just semantics, your point remains valid.  
  • @Redmidland - I think the actual offence was in 2017/18 actually. But that's just semantics, your point remains vaild.  
    Hi @Algarveaddick, yes I believe you're correct, but that gave them the funds to buy players out of many other clubs reaches this season, and gave them an unfair advantage this season. However I accept your point.
    Cheers
    RedM
  • edited August 2020
    Well said @operationpig.

I still like Wednesday and will be in the NBT next time we play you.
  • This question may have been asked and answered previously but did these shananigans with the sale of the ground at Sheff Weds occur when Katrien Meire was there?  I seem to recall that she, along with Chansiri and the financial director were charged as individuals over this matter as well but those charges were earlier dropped - the substantive charge being brought against the 'club' itself.

But it was flesh and blood people who made the decision to cheat not the nuts and bolts of the stadium, the club name itself or however else you define the club.  How can they not be accountable for their actions but the club is?

When Meire left Charlton I remember writing that her brand of football 'marketing' should not be inflicted on any other club in Europe let alone the UK. Little was I to know that Meire, as well as being involved in one Charlton relegation when she was CEO here, is, if not personally responsible, then by some extraordinary twist of fate somehow involved in yet another .

They were all cleared of any wrong doings.

The stadium sale was actually proved to be legit...Derby County will get off scott free you watch!

The punishment is for going over 39M rolling over 3 years.

The EFL are not fit to run a tap.

Chansiri has ruined our club and football in general is corrupt and fucked....the last straw for me.
    Do you think that Wednesday have should have been given the points deduction this season then?
  • Sponsored links:

• This question may have been asked and answered previously but did these shananigans with the sale of the ground at Sheff Weds occur when Katrien Meire was there?  I seem to recall that she, along with Chansiri and the financial director were charged as individuals over this matter as well but those charges were earlier dropped - the substantive charge being brought against the 'club' itself.

But it was flesh and blood people who made the decision to cheat not the nuts and bolts of the stadium, the club name itself or however else you define the club.  How can they not be accountable for their actions but the club is?

When Meire left Charlton I remember writing that her brand of football 'marketing' should not be inflicted on any other club in Europe let alone the UK. Little was I to know that Meire, as well as being involved in one Charlton relegation when she was CEO here, is, if not personally responsible, then by some extraordinary twist of fate somehow involved in yet another .

The stadium sale was actually proved to be legit...Derby County will get off scott free you watch!

Chansiri has ruined our club and football in general is corrupt and fucked....the last straw for me.
    ok, that provides further explanation re the nature of the charges but it does not excuse the punishment not being applied this season.
    For that there is no excuse or mitigation - something stinks!
  • I wonder what Sir Dave Richard's view is on this? Ex Wendies Chairman at the FA
  • @Redmidland - I think the actual offence was in 2017/18 actually. But that's just semantics, your point remains vaild.  
    Hi @Algarveaddick, yes I believe you're correct, but that gave them the funds to buy players out of many other clubs reaches this season, and gave them an unfair advantage this season. However I accept your point.
    Cheers
    RedM

Indeed. Unfair advantages like having Stephen Fletcher who scored in the 94th minute in their 1-0 win over us 
  • Well, that's an open invitation to drown out the noise from wanky Arsenal and Chelsea.
    Except that, despite Chris Sutton's invitation, the BBC will only have ears for the fans of Arsenal and Chelsea. They don't give a shit about the Championship/League One and certainly not about Charlton. 

Too true. I've called in on several occasions without success. Next time when they ask me who I support I shall lie. Last time I rang was about PPG and relegation and they wouldn't let me on because they said my idea was crazy. Later in the programme a Liverpool fan was on saying exactly what I had wanted to say.
  • Imagine if Wednesday had been somewhere between 1st and about 7th in the few weeks after they were charged and had continued there until lockdown. There are two scenarios 
    1. The EFL recognise the potential problem and ensure that the case is concluded on a timely basis. They are either found guilty or not and any impact is clearly felt within the season.
    2.They follow the same time line as has actually been the case and Wednesday get told their punishment 4 days before they are due to play in the play-off final. When does it get applied? If they go up is it applied in the premiership or only when they return to the EFL. If they lose the final the EFL breathes a sigh of relief and applies it in 2020/21. Of course in this scenario the loser is the team that would’ve finished 6th, but they still only had a 1 in 4 chance of promotion.

The preposterous mess of scenario 2 shows that even an organisation as useless as the EFL wouldn’t have let it slide into late July. For the integrity of the league at the top or the bottom it should have been sorted. Clearly the delay and the 14 days for an appeal has probably tied the EFL’s hands, but it is all it’s own fault. The irony of a team being punished for applying a large amount of money to the wrong year’s accounts by having the punishment applied to the wrong year is beyond belief. I know my view is tinged by our situation, but has there ever been a worse failure of governance?

• Telegraph Story here:

Charlton consider legal action after Sheffield Wednesday's 12-point penalty is delayed until next season

Sheffield Wednesday were found guilty of financial misconduct following an investigation by the EFL

By John Percy 31 July 2020 • 7:00pm

Charlton are considering taking legal action after Sheffield Wednesday were hit with a 12-point penalty when they were found guilty of financial misconduct but had their punishment delayed until next season. 

The English Football League have been conducting a lengthy investigation after charging the Yorkshire club in November over charges of breaching Profitability and Sustainability rules relating to the £60 million sale of their Hillsborough stadium. 

And an independent disciplinary commission on Friday imposed the 12-point sanction but ruled it would only come into effect next season rather than for the current campaign.

A 12-point deduction would have seen Wednesday relegated and Charlton - who finished third from bottom - have immediately said they are consulting their lawyers, labelling the decision “irrational”.

“The club is considering a legal challenge following the news that Sheffield Wednesday will receive a sporting sanction that will take effect in the 2020/21 season,” Charlton said in a statement. 

“Sheffield Wednesday were charged in November 2019 for breaching the EFL’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules for the three-season reporting period ending with Season 2017/18.

“We fail to understand why the deduction will take place next season rather than the current season, which seems to be irrational, and are writing to the EFL to get an explanation of the justification. The club will keep fans updated on any further action.”

Wednesday had denied the charge, which related to “how and when” Hillsborough was sold, and its subsequent inclusion in the 2017/18 accounts when it was sold a year later.

Wednesday had denied the charge and also issued a counter-claim against the EFL for allegedly "acting unlawfully".

The club, which finished eight points clear of the relegation zone, appeared in front of the three-person panel last month and the verdict was finally reached on Friday evening, with Wednesday saying they were “disappointed” with the outcome. 

“The club is extremely disappointed that the commission has imposed a 12-point deduction to be applied next season and awaits the written reasons for this decision,” they said in a statement. 

“The club welcomes the decision that the commission cleared Sheffield Wednesday of the charge of acting in bad faith in its dealings with the EFL.

“Further, the commission decided not to apply a 12-point deduction this season, thereby imposing relegation.

“The club will await the written reasons for the sanction and upon receipt will digest and consider the full detail with its legal advisers before making any further comment.”

The EFL's statement read: "An independent Disciplinary Commission, appointed under EFL Regulations, has ruled that Sheffield Wednesday will receive a 12 point deduction for breaching the League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules for the three season reporting period ending with Season 2017/18.

"The sporting sanction will take effect in season 2020/21. The club was charged in November 2019 and referred to an independent Disciplinary Commission, which conducted a full hearing at the end of June 2020, before finding the Club guilty based on the fact that the Club should not have included profits from the sale of Hillsborough Stadium in the Club’s financial statements for the period ending July 2018.

"The club was found not guilty of a further charge of breaching its duty of utmost good faith to the EFL by deliberately concealing information from the League in respect of filings made in respect of the Profitability and Sustainability Rules."