Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheff Weds Decision 12 points Next season

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    clb74 said:
    The sad thing is if we had stayed up 95% of us wouldn't give a f@ck about sheff wed points deduction next season
    Bollox. I have hated cheats all my life. Cheating in sport is the lowest of the low. It is not about selfish interest, we need our game sorting out. I was so impressed with Barnsley owner calling them out and was supportive even though I was convinced we would stay up.

I think most fans of all clubs hate a player who dives, gets a player sent off or handballs it into the net. We all hate cheats.
    About bollox.
    Let's see how many clubs from any division and their fans come forward and try and get the decision overturned so the 12 point deduction comes in for this season.
  • Our ‘legal assault’ will go nowhere. Our lawyers don’t even know who they’re working for, let alone the idea of external litigation.
  • edited July 2020
    I have tried to remain stoic throughout the entire rollercoaster of emotions which we as fans have endured since the resumption of the season when we were given the opportunity to stay up by fighting for points on the pitch.

Winning or equalising goals by rival teams in the 108th minute or later were met with quiet resignation and the inevitable defeat by the Spanners hardly registering. Of course 

But when I saw news of Wednesday's punishment of a 12 point deduction being rolled over to next season and this being announced late on a Friday (deliberately to allow the initial rage to die down) it felt like a blow to the stomach and enough is enough - I mentally geared up for the Monday morning phone calls and e-mails which were to fired off to the EFL when, on second reading I noticed that the decision was made by an Independent panel advising the EFL.

I suspect this means that the EFL can deflect any criticism which comes their way by referring to the independent nature of the disciplinary body.

So, who sits on this independent panel and how can they arrive at a decision which is so patently unfair?

Instead of firing off at the EFL it seems we are destined now to do our own detective work to find out who made it and more importantly how they arrived at their decision.

SICK

And I suspect it won't require much to find the EFL's grubby hands all over it. If we were a stable club we could take them to the cleaners. The timing of the announcement points to the stalling and manipulation that has been going on. But the length of time this has taken is simply not credible. There is a story here that the EFL has to think it can keep a lid on, but can it seriously do so?
  • I think we need to take a step back and think what Sheffiled Wednesday have actually been found guilty of. We know they have been found guilty and that is important. Birmingham fell foul of FFP but alerted the EFL and got a 9 points deduction because they co-operated/owned up saying it was a mistake.

Sheff Wednesday tried to hide it in a stadium deal that was bought by a company that didn't exist when the deal was purported and recorded to be done. This is serious cheating on a unheard of scale. And they have been given an opportunity to potentially escape any punishment at all, when they could have been punished this season. 
    Didn’t the crime take place in the 17/18 season? Which would give Burton or Barnsley grounds to appeal, as they were the ones directly affected by Sheffield Wednesday’s cheating?
    True, but you can't really turn back time.

HOWEVER

I would assume many of the players bought in that time period were playing this season. Fletcher, for example, who scored a last second equaliser against us that ultimately (you could say) sent us down. We (and Millwall) couldnt afford his wages.......but probably could if we cheated like they did.
    Fair point 
  • *Last second winner
  • Just astounding! 

Has there ever been a more useless organisation than the EFL?
  • Sponsored links:

• Says all you want to know about how bent / competent the EFL are.
  • IAgree said:
    Just astounding! 

Has there ever been a more useless organisation than the EFL?
    Probably, FIFA springs to mind. But it all caught up with Blatter. Parry probably just needs to resign. I suspect he will get a pay rise. That is how things work in these not fit for purpose organisations.
  • Can efl appeal the punishment if they don’t like it? (However doubtful).
    I'm wondering this too, I assume not otherwise I guess it defeats the purpose of this independent committee? 
  • Just a thought, but our predicament could have influenced this decision. The team that gets to stay up could also be sanctioned or, God forbid, not exist. That would mean promotion for the EFL from omni to mega-shambles. That said, given the EFL’s failure to do a decent job of its main purpose, running a football league, they probably haven’t considered it. 
  • It's a fun gamble for Championship teams now though if they've got a wealthy owner. Play the silly buggers stadium game, sell it to yourself for £200m, sod it. Then, if you don't go up that season, woops, points deduction next year. If you do go up though, you're untouchable by the EFL until you get relegated from the Premier League, which could conceivably never happen. Seems worth it to me.
  •  Justice delayed is justice denied.
  • I’d like to see their justification for delaying the punishment. Anyone think deferring it to next season was in exchange for Wednesday agreeing not to appeal. 
  • Well, that's an open invitation to drown out the noise from wanky Arsenal and Chelsea.
  • Kin joke, disgraceful, how are Steve G, Bows and JJ meant to put a squad together for next season - sure any half decent law firm would see us in The Championship next season
  • Sponsored links:

• This question may have been asked and answered previously but did these shananigans with the sale of the ground at Sheff Weds occur when Katrien Meire was there?  I seem to recall that she, along with Chansiri and the financial director were charged as individuals over this matter as well but those charges were earlier dropped - the substantive charge being brought against the 'club' itself.

But it was flesh and blood people who made the decision to cheat not the nuts and bolts of the stadium, the club name itself or however else you define the club.  How can they not be accountable for their actions but the club is?

When Meire left Charlton I remember writing that her brand of football 'marketing' should not be inflicted on any other club in Europe let alone the UK. Little was I to know that Meire, as well as being involved in one Charlton relegation when she was CEO here, is, if not personally responsible, then by some extraordinary twist of fate somehow involved in yet another .

• The EFL will now dock Derby the same 12 points this season to ice the cake. 
  • If it was fraud why weren’t the Sheff Wed owners charged with a crime?
  • edited August 2020
    Well, that's an open invitation to drown out the noise from wanky Arsenal and Chelsea.
    Except that, despite Chris Sutton's invitation, the BBC will only have ears for the fans of Arsenal and Chelsea. They don't give a shit about the Championship/League One and certainly not about Charlton. 

Funnily enough the story of Charlton's EFL meeting made the BBC online news this morning. Though a slight error in the price paid for the club!

• They do have a choice, and that is not to relegate us or Wigan and have two extra relegation places next season with both Wigan and Wednesday and possibly Derby starting on -12 points.
    Derby will probably be the season after next knowing the EFL.

No, media darling Wayne Rooney's Derby will probably have the points deducted this season so they have no meaningful effect!
  • Well, that's an open invitation to drown out the noise from wanky Arsenal and Chelsea.
    Except that, despite Chris Sutton's invitation, the BBC will only have ears for the fans of Arsenal and Chelsea. They don't give a shit about the Championship/League One and certainly not about Charlton. 

Funnily enough the story of Charlton's EFL meeting made the BBC online news this morning. Though a slight error in the price paid for the club!

I expect the reporter couldn't believe the notes when he read £1 & thought it must have been a typo...... 
  • The feeling on Owls talk seems to be quite mixed, some think they're fucked with an average squad, no chance of signing any decent players and starting on -12.

I think they've had a right touch.

With sides like Luton, Wycombe and Rotherham having hardly any income and probably not being able to spend much, i think Wednesday will get away with this big time. Some sides will struggle to get 40 points. Wednesday may only need to get 52-55 points to stay up even taking the -12 into account.