Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clubs impacted by the EFL/ football authorities?

As an off-shoot to the EFL Petition thread (
https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/89549/reply-review-the-statutory-owners-and-directors-test-urgent-petition) clubs with fans most negatively impacted by the EFL in one way or another (or will be, like Hull)- that could be candidates for signing the petition, or joining other protest actions if contacted:

EFL group:

Charlton
Blackpool
Blackburn
Bolton 
Brighton
Bury
Coventry
Hull City
Leyton Orient
Luton
Portsmouth 
Wigan -> Barnsley 
Macclesfield

Not including EFL action/inaction against clubs where we know investigations have happened, I.e:
Birmingham 
Derby
Sheffield Wednesday (hopefully)

We could also show which clubs have had contact with anyone connected to ESI or IPS law, either before, during or since their troubles, e.g. us, Bolton, Bury, Coventry ...

And is there another category of clubs otherwise impacted by Premier league/FA sanctions or inactivity, which may have had knock on effects, to the detriment of other clubs, e.g.;

Others:

West Ham
Crystal palace
Aston Villa
Southampton
Leicester
Bournemouth
Wolves

Dubious practices:

Watford

Comments

• You can add Bournemouth and QPR  to the bottom list.

Probably Wolves as there is no way they legally achieved FFP by buying a champions league team to play in the championship. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    You can add Bournemouth and QPR  to the bottom list.

Probably Wolves as there is no way they legally achieved FFP by buying a champions league team to play in the championship. 
    You mean Watford?
  • shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You mean Watford?
    No, instead of which? 
  • edited July 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You mean Watford?
    No, instead of which? 
    Wolves I guess, what about Bournemouth?
    edit; Doh! You've already mentioned them.
  • edited July 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You mean Watford?
    No, instead of which? 
    Instead of wolves, I got confused though.. was meaning when there owner shipped a load of players over from Italy. So more bending ffp/dual ownership rules than being fkd over by it.  Its what Roland could have done if his teams were not shit 😅
  • RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You mean Watford?
    No, instead of which? 
    Wolves I guess, what about Bournemouth?
    Massively missed FFP to get promoted.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44721788

It wasn't the fairytale some piant it as. 
  • shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You mean Watford?
    No, instead of which? 
    Instead of wolves, I got confused though.. was meaning when there owner shipped a load of players over from Italy. So more bending ffp/dual ownership rules than being fkd over by it.  Its what Roland could have done if his teams were not shit 😅
    Yup if Roland employed someone that knew what they were doing..... 

Yeah Wolves bought a loads of players with a mixture of "methods" but there is no way on earth they met FFP. 
  • Granted awareness exists among fans in general of wrong doing (so added to the second list) but were Bournemouth, or Wolves accused by either the EFL or Premier league of cheating? Or did each escape by some loophole in gaining promotion?
  • Granted awareness exists among fans in general of wrong doing (so added to the second list) but were Bournemouth, or Wolves accused by either the EFL or Premier league of cheating? Or did each escape by some loophole in gaining promotion?
    Bournemouth were and paid a poultry (by Premier league standards fine).

The EFL said "oh you spent to much money getting the premier league, if you give us less than 5% of your first years revenue increase we will let you off".

The fact that that happened in thier 3rd premier league season makes it worse.  They cheated made over £300 million (by that point) and had to pay a £5 million fine.

Wolves have just finished thier second season so expect an EFL announcement some time after next Christmas. 
  • edited July 2020
    Thanks.

Fining clubs from the rewards of their wrong doings is no deterrent. In fact it's collusion isn't it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Portsmouth in the past. They had a series of very dodgy owners. Good to see them stable now 
  • Can add Leyton Orient to the list 
  • edited July 2020
    Can add Leyton Orient to the list 
    Good shout.
    That initiative from 2017 went well Mr Harvey (article actually spells out the constitutional difficulties efl has as a members club)-

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/football-league-to-consider-new-rules-for-incompetent-owners-after-leyton-orient-crisis-a3533996.html
  • I would guess fans of clubs that weren’t relegated a few days ago will probably be less enthusiastic. Not the way it should be, but I think results on the pitch have play huge factor in motivating wanting to take on the authorities/ownership. 
  • Hull City - not sure if there's a case for the EFL to answer but I'm sure their supporters would want a bigger voice on what happens at the club
  • se9addick said:
    I would guess fans of clubs that weren’t relegated a few days ago will probably be less enthusiastic. Not the way it should be, but I think results on the pitch have play huge factor in motivating wanting to take on the authorities/ownership. 
    Absolutely and that's perfectly understandable. But that's also why we have political parties amd lobby groups. Supporters trust's will have a role in keeping pressure on the EFL and government over time.

It's not much different to many other hardships that don't effect the majority of people until one day it does.

The wording of the current petition is fairly narrow too in citing only Wigan's situation and suggesting a stronger Owner and Director Test as a solution. It just so happens we know as Charlton fans that we are right there in the same situation at the same time. Both clubs happen to have been relegated together as well.

As said elsewhere I think there'll be more support for this petition and other similar ones after 31st when Wigan's appeal is heard. Then an increasing awareness when announcements are made about SWFC and Derby, and the maybe the EFL's covid response which could impact clubs differentially.
  • Hull City - not sure if there's a case for the EFL to answer but I'm sure their supporters would want a bigger voice on what happens at the club
    I think you're right. Deeper ownership troubles at Hull are predictable. Just read this article and apparently the owner has been trying to sell the club and is expected to try to get his £42m back. A Roland type situation on it's way.

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/from-the-podcasts/hull-city-how-did-a-formerly-beloved-owners-relationship-with-the-fans-disintegrate/

" the supporters hugely resent the owners. It can be traced to two major events, one of which was the attempt to change the name from Hull City AFC to Hull Tigers, and the fallout that resulted from that – the relationship has never recovered.

“Then on top of that, there’s been other issues, such as the removal of concession ticket prices for children or pensioners at home matches. I think that explains a lot of the reasons why.

“It’s a huge shame because…this isn’t a case of an owner who may be from a far flung place in the world and has no interest in the local area. This is a guy who has made the city his home and clearly has a local interest, but for several reasons that relationship between the fan base has been destroyed.”

• What about Leeds?
  • edited July 2020
    Not sure about leeds. Certainly had some iffy owners but stabilised since Cellino? Then again, I thought Portsmouth was a good call. Their promotion puts them is good stead obviously, but they could be over-reliant on their sole owner who was fairly recently looking for new investors.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/andrea-radrizzani-stance-on-potential-leeds-united-investors-discussed/
  • I came across this short summary of MP Damien Collins' proposal to set up a Football Finance Authority. Quite interesting list of clubs and their reps at the end too, that possibly hints to other troubled clubs.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/efl-owners-mps-football-finance-18322852
  • Sponsored links:

• ct_addick said:
    What about Leeds?
    Deducted points 2 seasons running for the same offence.  
  • edited July 2020
    Couple of sites giving accounts of clubs in crisis, but not kept up to date;

We're one of the 4 here-
    http://clubsincrisis.co.uk/

But this longer list doesn't include us-
    https://twohundredpercent.net/clubs-in-crisis-on-200/

And between 10 - 15 clubs are on an EFL watchlist according to the recent DCMS committee into the impact of Covid-19 on sporting and cultural sectors.

Committee chair, Julian Knight MP, told the PA news agency: “There are 10-15 clubs on a watchlist right now in terms of whether they go bust. That’s from the EFL. That is one in five.

“That would be absolutely tragic for many communities around the country. There needs to be a reset.

“This has been broken for years but the fact EFL clubs (now) cannot get people through their turnstiles means some of them are effectively facing extinction. They don’t have the big TV deals that the Premier League does.

“Any idea there would be a government bailout is for the birds, in my view, when there is a £9billion TV deal at the very top of football. The football family needs to come together and work together in order to sort this out.”

Full article at https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/15-professional-football-clubs-risk-4355149