Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Windows or whatever it is update ... don’t do it !

I know sweet fa about computers but a recent automatic update has stopped my Toshiba LX830-11D from working 
it’s a good few years old but touchscreen , keyboard and mouse not working all I can do is turn the poxy thing on and off 

I’ve looked on Microsoft guff and lots of people having similar problems 

so be aware 

Comments

• @oohaahmortimer - sounds like you're having trouble getting enough juice into your floppy RAM dongle. 

How old did you say it was?
  • edited July 2020
    Windows 10 is awful for updates if you (like me) don't know what you are doing.

They release the updates on the 2nd Tuesday of each month I believe and the best thing to do is to run the update that night and just leave your laptop plugged in and connected to the wifi overnight and install it that way.

I always forget and usually lose and hour or so every couple of months with my lenovo laptop having a tantrum or just outright crashing for half a day.

Infuriating as don't even want Windows 10 and all its great functions as only need it for the odd thing like browsing Charlton life and occasionally using Google incognito to secretly shop for presents for loved ones like in the advert.

• edited July 2020
    Off_it said:
    @oohaahmortimer - sounds like you're having trouble getting enough juice into your floppy RAM dongle. 

How old did you say you were?

• edited July 2020
    Off_it said:
    @oohaahmortimer - sounds like you're having trouble getting enough juice into your floppy RAM dongle. 

How old did you were?
     Yoda confused a said

• edited July 2020
    Yes, I hate updates too. Surely the structure of a computer should be a Rom chip that cannot be altered containing the operating system. You have all these programmes running functions you don't need on startup or in the background. If you can't alter it, it can't go wrong. You would even have less issues with hard drive problems as the operating system would be fine.

I can understand security fixes, but as you say - why force Microsoft Edge on people. It should only be security fixes, nothing else.

I have had my Epson printer for 6 years and use non official inks. I have disabled Epson updates as they want to stop me using them, or make it very complicated, even though they are legal and just as good as the original inks as my usage history shows. Not windows but shows why if something is working, why do you need an update? How will an update make the printer print better?

BTW, have you tried going back to the setup before the update?
  • Yes, I hate updates too. Surely the structure of a computer should be a Rom chip that cannot be altered containing the operating system. You have all these programmes running functions you don't need on startup or in the background. If you can't alter it, it can't go wrong. You would even have less issues with hard drive problems as the operating system would be fine.

I can understand security fixes, but as you say - why force Microsoft Edge on people. It should only be security fixes, nothing else.

I have had my Epson printer for 6 years and use non official inks. I have disabled Epson updates as they want to stop me using them, or make it very complicated, even though they are legal and just as good as the original inks as my usage history shows. Not windows but shows why if something is working, why do you need an update? How will an update make the printer print better?

BTW, have you tried going back to the setup before the update?
    It’s literally the turn on and off button the only one that works 

touchscreen , mouse, keyboard non responsive 

it’s definitely linked to Microsoft edge , I’ve been on a Microsoft forum (new highs on geekiness) and quite a few punters got the hump with it but of the posts I’ve read they’ve all got a bit of life to go backwards and change things , I can’t do a thing 
  • You could go into safe mode and do a system restore back to a previous date
  • My laptop died yesterday, had a look this morning, turned out it was no more than the battery coming loose. I got it going, checked it was OK and shut it down, at which point it started doing the dreaded update. When England declare I’ll go and see what horrors await....
  • Sponsored links:

• Huawei can't come soon enough.
  • seth plum said:
    Huawei can't come soon enough.
    That'll result in another set of problems you can't even envisage yet.
  • edited July 2020
    It really annoyed me when I found I had Microsoft Edge. It didn't affect anything else, but I'll download it if I want it. Windows isn't free, it is part of the cost of your computer and consequently it is wrong to impose these things on people. Deleted it straight away.
  • my laptop crashed using windows 10. spent £50 on repair, and was advised it was due to a Windows Update, great.
  • Turn it off and on again. Usually works...!
  • WSS said:
    Buy a Mac...
    This. They're a lot more expensive but for good reason, everything just works without agg
  • edited July 2020
    Lol this thread. So much disinformation.

Try this link - if its the May update that's caused your problem, then it should fix it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/07/21/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-2004-may-2020-breaks-internet-connections-update-free-windows-10-update/amp/
  • Lol this thread. So much disinformation.

Try this link - if its the May update that's caused your problem, then it should fix it. 
    Great link.
  • Lol this thread. So much disinformation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/07/21/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-2004-may-2020-breaks-internet-connections-update-free-windows-10-update/amp/
    That's the thing though Leroy, many of us aren't IT literate or interested in learning about stuff which probably seems like absolute basics to professionals like yourself and it's marketed for the mass public. 

You shouldn't have to research fixes etc or read about updates if you just want to use your laptop to piss about on the internet and use iTunes and photos occasionally.

Compared to windows 7 which was excellent for average Joe users I think windows 10 is very user unfriendly causing unnecessary hassle with updates etc whilst at the same time I appreciate it is excellent in other respects.

Example being that I love windows 10 using it at work for its functionality etc and IT take care of all the updates etc whereas at home I can be on the internet and it'll just freeze and crash as the update hasn't been installed which may then take a good few hours of ctrl alt delete restarts.

I think it is aimed at the more IT literate and let's face it pretty much all generations herein will be so, so probably more of a case of me being behind the times in mindset and education.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'e just bought new laptop with Windows 10. My previous laptop had Windows 8 & when upgrading to 10 last year crashed. I re-set oy back to 8 & left it alone.

Just found on the new one a delay button to the update function. Only delays it for a week......but wondering if you can repeatedly delay it every week so that it never updates.
  • Do you normally leave your back door open when you go for dinner? If not, do the updates. 
  • Do you normally leave your back door open when you go for dinner? If not, do the updates. 
    Tell me that's not a euphemism..... 
    I wish they’d stop changing my back door without asking me
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this, Microsoft shouldn't be forcing the updates on people and it certainly shouldn't be installing Edge or any other piece of software the owner of the machine doesn't currently have installed.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a legal case in the US about this.

I know not everybody likes Apple and its products but on this they get it right.  The OS and other software updates just sit there until you want to install them, same for the 'phones.
  • Nothing was more frustrating than when I found Eidos had left out Ipswich on my version of Championship Manager 2, 97/98 season 

PS - I have mentioned this before and will likely do so again if any computer bug type threads crop up 
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment of this, Microsoft shouldn't be forcing the updates on people and it certainly shouldn't be installing Edge or any other piece of software the owner of the machine doesn't currently have installed.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a legal case in the US about this.

I know not everybody likes Apple and its products but on this they get it right.  The OS and other software updates just sit there until you want to install them, same for the 'phones.
    Is it any different to Apple forcing their products outside of the main OS software onto systems? Not 100% sure on Macs, but I remember a time when phones use to install things like GarageBand or remember the whole thing with that U2 album?

Windows updates are easily permanently disabled if wanted, but generally wouldn't advise it.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Do you normally leave your back door open when you go for dinner? If not, do the updates. 

Is it any different to Apple forcing their products outside of the main OS software onto systems? Not 100% sure on Macs, but I remember a time when phones use to install things like GarageBand or remember the whole thing with that U2 album?

Windows updates are easily permanently disabled if wanted, but generally wouldn't advise it.
    I think Apple learnt from that bit of hubris.  I don't think Microsoft ever learn anything.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Do you normally leave your back door open when you go for dinner? If not, do the updates. 

I think Apple learnt from that bit of hubris.  I don't think Microsoft ever learn anything.
    Edge is the replacement of Internet Explorer, it's no different to Apple / Safari.
  • edited July 2020
    cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:

Edge is the replacement of Internet Explorer, it's no different to Apple / Safari.
    I am finding Edge to be quicker and better than chrome or firefox at the moment.  It loads up searches and web sites really quickly.

BTW, if you've got an old machine that windows 10 has broken, and you haven't got any expensive games/other windows-dependent software on your machine, just load up a copy of Linux Mint onto a USB stick and run your machine off that.  It will run besides 10 until you decide it's better, which it is in many respects and it is free.  You can then load it up as your primary OS if you wish.  I use the Cinnamon version on my ancient desk top, together with LibraOffice which is also free and does everything the windows suite of office tools does.

Edited to add:  here's the guide: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html   (I never bother with the complex-sounding verifyig ISO image bit but that's me being lazy)