Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

EFL statement: ongoing disciplinary proceedings

The League continues to receive questions on a regular basis in respect of updates to ongoing proceedings involving the EFL and its member Clubs.

We recognise the desire amongst stakeholders, not least from our own members, but also their respective supporters and representatives of the media, for clarity on the current position.

At the point a Club is charged with misconduct, it is referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission and from that point onwards, the format and timing of the proceedings are controlled by that of the Independent Commission. Our stated position and the policy agreed with our Clubs is that we do not pass any comment on these individual matters, other than to confirm the charges at the outset and the subsequent outcomes.  

The EFL is committed to announcing any final outcome promptly following notification of the decision by the relevant Independent Disciplinary Commission, giving consideration to the issues raised above and in accordance with its regulations.

Independent Disciplinary Commissions are well aware of the challenges for any Club that is subject to proceedings, and the need for clarity for financial and operational planning purposes, particularly ahead of the summer transfer window opening later this month.  In addition, there is also the consequential impact to consider on how any decisions may affect other Clubs within a division who require the same courtesy to plan with as much certainty as is practically possible. 

Equally, there are the operational pressures this presents the EFL, in areas such as fixture scheduling in the event any decision(s) change a divisional line-up.  In the specific case of Wednesday evening’s final round of Championship matches for season 2019/20, and any potential impact on divisional standings, relegation will be confirmed for the Clubs in 22nd, 23rd and 24th positions in the Championship table following the conclusion of those matches and will be subject to the resolution of any ongoing proceedings.  In the case of Wigan Athletic the 12-point sporting sanction, as a result of the Club entering administration, will apply immediately following the end of the game against Fulham but is subject to appeal. 

Nevertheless, the primary objective of any Independent Disciplinary Commission is to deal with cases expeditiously and fairly.

We will be providing no further comment on any ongoing proceedings at this time. 

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-statement-ongoing-disciplinary-proceedings/

Comments

• So they are holding back some outcomes due to fixture scheduling and any impact on any divisional scheduling. Meaning they wont give a toss if they are down?But the clubs can then appeal these outcomes when they announce them sometime after Wed nights result. 
    Is that what that gobbledeyshit says?
  • aliwibble said:
    How can relegation be confirmed immediately if it's "subject to the resolution of any ongoing proceedings". It's either confirmed or it's not. As Nan in the Catherine Tate sketches would say "what a load of old shit!"
    confirmed immediately after they see where we finish 😉
  • So basically we win Wednesday we ain't safe all depends how the efl are feeling and what they want it to be. Sounds dodgy to me. 
  • Jokers. Gutless fucks.
  • What does give me some confidence is that we haven't been charged.  Because if we had they would have announced it. 

Anything the EFL now chuck at us won't be relevant this season.  

That doesn't make me confident about the future at all but it does kick the can some what. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What does give me some confidence is that we haven't been charged.  Because if we had they would have announced it. 

That doesn't make me confident about the future at all but it does kick the can some what. 
    Do they have to announce that they have charged us ? They didnt say anything about them putting a transfer embargo on us. If they had maybe Southall etc would have been rumbled earlier
  • Sponsored links:

• What a shambles. An absolute disgrace and an offence to fair play. 
    Respect? Stick it up your arse.
  • AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What does give me some confidence is that we haven't been charged.  Because if we had they would have announced it. 

Do they have to announce that they have charged us ? They didnt say anything about them putting a transfer embargo on us. If they had maybe Southall etc would have been rumbled earlier
    At the point a Club is charged with misconduct, it is referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission and from that point onwards, the format and timing of the proceedings are controlled by that of the Independent Commission. Our stated position and the policy agreed with our Clubs is that we do not pass any comment on these individual matters, other than to confirm the charges at the outset and the subsequent outcomes.  
  • Oggy Red said:
    This is the EFL's response to the letters from MPs and critiscm in the media.

There would have been no statement otherwise until after the final fixtures. They are feeling the pressure.

Pressure?  Not according to the spy camera at their office.

The Office Crazy GIF  Gfycat
    I honestly think Micheal Scott and co would be 10x better than this lot in charge.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

At the point a Club is charged with misconduct, it is referred to an Independent Disciplinary Commission and from that point onwards, the format and timing of the proceedings are controlled by that of the Independent Commission. Our stated position and the policy agreed with our Clubs is that we do not pass any comment on these individual matters, other than to confirm the charges at the outset and the subsequent outcomes.  
    So does that mean they would have to go public ? As if they only have to tell the club do you trust the current owners to be transparent about it ?
  • I'm confused. Are the points being deducted this season or next?
     Not a scooby.
    One thing is for sure, it gives ESI some more time to dip in the till.
  • Worst season on and off the pitch ever
    Agree. Just imagine if Lee and the staff wasn't here.
  • AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

So does that mean they would have to go public ? As if they only have to tell the club do you trust the current owners to be transparent about it ?
    Our stated position and the policy agreed with our Clubs is that we do not pass any comment on these individual matters, other than to confirm the charges at the outset

Sounds to me like they publicly announce the charges, have they have done with Wigan, Birmingham, the massive, Wayne Rooney County etc. 
  • Sponsored links:

• any potential impact on divisional standings, relegation will be confirmed for the Clubs in 22nd, 23rd and 24th positions in the Championship table following the conclusion of those matches and will be subject to the resolution of any ongoing proceedings

So relegation will only be subject to the conclusion of ongoing proceedings. i.e the mess at Wigan.
     We could just appeal relegation on the premise the ongoing proceedings have not been concluded.
  • I still think the most likely outcome is that the EFL will avoid making a big new decision: Wigan will get the 12-point penalty and Sheffield will get nothing this season.
  • any potential impact on divisional standings, relegation will be confirmed for the Clubs in 22nd, 23rd and 24th positions in the Championship table following the conclusion of those matches and will be subject to the resolution of any ongoing proceedings

So relegation will only be subject to the conclusion of ongoing proceedings. i.e the mess at Wigan.
     We could just appeal relegation on the premise the ongoing proceedings have not been concluded.
    I posted an Owls fan earlier who said something along the lines of “One of the most exciting nights in football is being ruined by the EFL“ .
    The EFL don't know yet.

• I still think the most likely outcome is that the EFL will avoid making a big new decision: Wigan will get the 12-point penalty and Sheffield will get nothing this season.
    Agree. Wednesday and maybe Derby will start next season on -x points.

Midway through next season some more clubs will be charged and the charade starts all over again. 
    Agree. Wednesday and maybe Derby will start next season on -x points.

Midway through next season some more clubs will be charged and the charade starts all over again. 
    Giving them all season to avoid relegation for being cheating fucks
  • It looks like the only points deduction this season will be Wigan. They have a right of appeal, although I fail to see how they can win an appeal. Other deductions, if there are any, will be next season. That's how I read the statement but it's very unclear.