Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Restaurants With the Worst Hygiene Rating across SE London

Always get very nervous reading this list, in case anywhere I’ve been is on it!

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/18592912.restaurants-worst-hygiene-ratings-across-se-london/

Comments

• If memory serves me correct, the Japanese place opposite the civic centre in Catford has a rating of zero.
  • edited July 2020
    I always check scores on the doors before I eat somewhere lol
  • How can places with scores of zero or one be allowed to stay open? 
  • edited July 2020

A restaurant can be marked down as much by its record keeping as by its hygiene:-

The Food Standards Agency classes businesses with a one-star rating as 'major improvement necessary' and those with zero as 'urgent improvement necessary'.

Inspectors consider how hygienically food is handled, how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored.

Also key is how the business manages and records what it does to ensure food is safe.

• edited July 2020
    Again thats why  i always check scores on the doors  there actual food hygiene may be a 4 but Confidence in management or building structure could be a 1 or 2 and thats gonna rake the overall score down, at least if you actually see each section on scores on the doors you can decide if you want to eat there still.

As long as the food hygiene is 4 or 5 i am normally happy, whether they have been marked down because the building is a bit old doesn't really bother me lol
  • PopIcon said:
    If memory serves me correct, the Japanese place opposite the civic centre in Catford has a rating of zero.
    As with most low end 'Japanese' restaurants it is run by Chinese charging a premium for pseudo Japanese food.
    Eaten there twice. Never again. 
  • Street food is best
  • edited July 2020
    MrWalker said:
    Street food is best
    What, dead cats, foxes and badgers? 
    Badgers? I can’t say I recall ever seeing a badger around Kilburn. In fact, I’ve never seen a badger. *Note my things to do or see before I die list. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    MrWalker said:
    Street food is best
    Badgers? I can’t say I recall ever seeing a badger around Kilburn. In fact, I’ve never seen a badger. *Note my things to do or see before I die list. 
    You need to get out more.
    At night.
    ;-)
  • Solidgone said:
    MrWalker said:
    Street food is best
    come to my house, you can watch the fuckers dig up my garden every night.
  • Was in Kem's Café last week lol won't be going again.
  • I’ve found the scores on the doors thing a bit of a joke & a waste of time in general ,most people are able to judge better for themselves without the opinions of one man on one day
  • MrWalker said:
    PopIcon said:
    If memory serves me correct, the Japanese place opposite the civic centre in Catford has a rating of zero.
    As with most low end 'Japanese' restaurants it is run by Chinese charging a premium for pseudo Japanese food.
    Eaten there twice. Never again. 

I'm really surprised by that. When I used to live in Forest Hill my wife and I ate at Sapporo's regularly. The food was great and most evenings half the tables were taken up by Japanese customers which is always a good sign. It must have gone down hill badly in the last decade.
  • They seem to re-hash this article on an almost monthly basis.
    Yup, it's all the Shopper can do now. It's finished as a news outlet.
  • Absolute old tosh of a newspaper. 
  • Get really decent kebabs from Mez Mangal all the time on deliveroo/just eat. Thankfully it seems they are different to Meze Mangal that feature on this list, on is on Lewisham Way the other on New Cross Road
  • sam3110 said:
    Get really decent kebabs from Mez Mangal all the time on deliveroo/just eat. Thankfully it seems they are different to Meze Mangal that feature on this list, on is on Lewisham Way the other on New Cross Road
    Meze Mangal was once featured in the Standard as one of the best restaurants in London - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/kebab-shop-in-lewisham-beats-the-ritz-for-customer-satisfaction-on-tripadvisor-8069063.html

Paid it a visit off the back of that article and was entirely underwhelmed.

Mez Mangal is superb, would be surprised if there's a better Turkish Restaurant in South London. Worth eating in if you get the chance. There's a dip they serve with bread when you first arrive - worth visiting for that alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• I always check scores on the doors before I eat somewhere lol

Anywhere with 3 or less will not put it on the door.
  • There’s a fantastic Turkish restaurant opposite Catford Bus Garage (part of the Turkish Supermarket)......It’s the dogs bollox actually!
  • There’s a fantastic Turkish restaurant opposite Catford Bus Garage (part of the Turkish Supermarket)......It’s the dogs bollox actually!
    Literally!
    Literally!
    I was wondering who would be the first to make a smart arse comment.....well done MIA.👏
    Literally!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

No mention of Turkey on here tbf. Rather comments like that just weren't said.
  • edited July 2020
    There’s a fantastic Turkish restaurant opposite Catford Bus Garage (part of the Turkish Supermarket)......It’s the dogs bollox actually!
    Turkuaz I think it's called, been there before and it's very nice but not out of this world
  • sam3110 said:
    There’s a fantastic Turkish restaurant opposite Catford Bus Garage (part of the Turkish Supermarket)......It’s the dogs bollox actually!
    Turkuaz I think it's called, been there before and it's very nice but not out of this world
    It’s pretty basic....no table cloths or plush furnishings but the food is most certainly excellent.
    All the produce is fresh from the shop, if they need anything it’s right there on the spot for them.....I believe it’s run by some of the family and is quite clearly freshly prepared and cooked with genuine Turkish traditional methods.
  • I’ve found the scores on the doors thing a bit of a joke & a waste of time in general ,most people are able to judge better for themselves without the opinions of one man on one day
    "Most people" have better judgement about a businesses food hygiene practices, staff training, record keeping, etc. and the state of the parts of a premises, that they've not even got access to, than a fully qualified Environmental Health Officer do they?

Here you go again digging out local authority staff. 

Ps a lot of EHO's are women btw. 
    "Most people" have better judgement about a businesses food hygiene practices, staff training, record keeping, etc. and the state of the parts of a premises, that they've not even got access to, than a fully qualified Environmental Health Officer do they?

Here you go again digging out local authority staff. 

Ps a lot of EHO's are women btw. 
    I’m sure there are female ones too although after the 30 odd inspections I’ve had I’ve not had the pleasure yet . I can’t comment on how they are lately as they haven’t been to see me for over two years although that is now common place , one restaurant I know of local to me has had 3 different owners since the last inspections several years ago but if you think they can keep accurate records of owners hygiene practices, staff training , record keeping and the state of parts of the building, without ever seeing the owners or ever going to the business under the owners than you keep believing their scores are a true reflection of the business.