Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lewisham Road Closures

For those that are local, you may have seen recently a lot of road blocks/bollards put in place for various residential streets around Lewisham.

https://lewishamcovidresidentialstreets.commonplace.is/about

It is a 3-month trial aimed at increasing walking/cycling routes and to assist with social distancing, with a view to making it permanent. You can leave feedback about these road closures below:

https://lewishamcovidresidentialstreets.commonplace.is/overview

I do cycle to work so it has somewhat benefitted me. I don't use all of the roads mentioned but I think Upwood Road definitely needed it, the amount of grid locks there was a joke. I felt bad for the people that lived there and couldn't even get out of their drive in the mornings.

Reading the comments, it appears the general consensus is that it was a good move. But once the amount of cars on the road resumes to normality, I'd expect the South Circular to be chaos.

Comments

• This week the same has happened in Brentford/Ealing too on a 6 month trial. It seems councils are all coming together with this idea. 
  • Don't get me started.
    Absolutely appallingly implemented.
    I am all in favour of reduced car use, more pedestrians non intimidating abusive and aggressive road travelling  rule following cyclists (are there any?).
    However this particular scheme has been implemented appallingly, the effect has been to create a kind of gated community for the Lee Manor area and pushed pollution congestion and stress to the fringes of the community, which is now divided.
    All traffic must now only use the surrounding roads of the South Circular, Burnt Ash Road, Hither Green Lane and Lee High Road. 
    Local residents inside that area who sometimes use vehicles are sneered at as rat runners cutting through the area they actually live in.
    I cycle from time to time but now I am antipathetic to other cyclists of all ages, and if they come at me on the pavement I will stand my ground, use the pedestrian space and invite on a row, which I hope to film.
    If you think I am over reacting ask one group of local people, care workers, who are obliged to drive from house to house often with equipment. See what they say
    There is no room for compromise, and it looks to me like a posh persons anti pleb initiative.
  • Councils are doing this all over the place. All it does is push the traffic/noise pollution down someone elses road,causing the problems to get worse. I would gladly use public transport if a) it was cheaper, b)less shit and c) easier for me but it isnt and i need my vehicle at work with me. My 10 mile to work car journey can take me anything up to an hour and a half due to roadworks/weight of traffic and these road closures. Just another stick to beat motorists with.
  • Hither Green is a nightmare. 
    Poor signage and enforcement cameras. 
    Just an excuse to issue more fines. 
  • seth plum said:
    Don't get me started.
    I am all in favour of reduced car use, more pedestrians non intimidating abusive and aggressive road travelling  rule following cyclists (are there any?).
    However this particular scheme has been implemented appallingly, the effect has been to create a kind of gated community for the Lee Manor area and pushed pollution congestion and stress to the fringes of the community, which is now divided.
    All traffic must now only use the surrounding roads of the South Circular, Burnt Ash Road, Hither Green Lane and Lee High Road. 
    Local residents inside that area who sometimes use vehicles are sneered at as rat runners cutting through the area they actually live in.
    I cycle from time to time but now I am antipathetic to other cyclists of all ages, and if they come at me on the pavement I will stand my ground, use the pedestrian space and invite on a row, which I hope to film.
    If you think I am over reacting ask one group of local people, care workers, who are obliged to drive from house to house often with equipment. See what they say
    There is no room for compromise, and it looks to me like a posh persons anti pleb initiative.

I am one of those ;)

But yes I agree, poorly implemented. South Circular is going to be insane once the school traffic comes back.

I did notice that somebody unbolted and removed the bollard on Ennersdale Road on the way to work last week. By the time I was coming home, the council had bolted it back.

• seth plum said:
    Don't get me started.
    My Mum and Dad live in Lee and are absolutely raging about it. By the sound of things Burnt Ash Hill is an absolute nightmare already, and the signage in a lot of places is really badly placed so you only discover that you can't access the route you wanted to take once you've already turned in to the road concerned. I'd be interested to know what the emission measures are like on the main roads now.
  • I had a very funny conversation with a pair of neighbours on Upwood Road, where the barrier is on the borough boundary. Greenwich dragged its feet on closing the rat run, so Lewisham took unilateral action. https://853.london/2020/07/02/upwood-road-greenwich-and-lewisham-councils-divided-by-another-streetspace-scheme/

It’s a good idea, and should work in time, but the implementation has been somewhat naive. 
  • I had a very funny conversation with a pair of neighbours on Upwood Road, where the barrier is on the borough boundary. Greenwich dragged its feet on closing the rat run, so Lewisham took unilateral action. https://853.london/2020/07/02/upwood-road-greenwich-and-lewisham-councils-divided-by-another-streetspace-scheme/

It’s a good idea, and should work in time, but the implementation has been somewhat naive. 
    That's a good article, thanks for sharing.
  • seth plum said:
    Don't get me started.

I am one of those ;)

But yes I agree, poorly implemented. South Circular is going to be insane once the school traffic comes back.

I did notice that somebody unbolted and removed the bollard on Ennersdale Road on the way to work last week. By the time I was coming home, the council had bolted it back.

A fire appliance came to a halt at the metal pole at the end of Holme Lacey Road last Sunday afternoon. They had not been issued with a key.
    The firefighter used a pair of those pointed pliers and turned the thing.
    The appliance then drove out to Manor Lane.
    The fire fighter then had to use the pliers to restore the metal pole and lock down the metal plate.
  • aliwibble said:
    seth plum said:
    Don't get me started.
    My Mum and Dad live in Lee and are absolutely raging about it. By the sound of things Burnt Ash Hill is an absolute nightmare already, and the signage in a lot of places is really badly placed so you only discover that you can't access the route you wanted to take once you've already turned in to the road concerned. I'd be interested to know what the emission measures are like on the main roads now.
    They promised an air quality monitoring machine on the north side of the south circular between Manor Lane and Parkcroft road.
    It isn't there.
    This is about sealing off the so called 'conservation area'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely.
    People are also capable of taking direct action and accepting any consequences.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Don't get me started.

I am one of those ;)

A fire appliance came to a halt at the metal pole at the end of Holme Lacey Road last Sunday afternoon. They had not been issued with a key.
    The firefighter used a pair of those pointed pliers and turned the thing.
    The appliance then drove out to Manor Lane.
    The fire fighter then had to use the pliers to restore the metal pole and lock down the metal plate.
    Did you see this with your own eyes and did you speak to the firefighters or was this on social media? There’s been a lot of scaremongering about this kind of thing: https://853.london/2020/07/07/south-row-stop-start-streetspace-scheme-halted-but-not-because-of-fire-brigade/
  • I live in Lee and yes, Burnt Ash and surrounding roads are very busy first thing. Horncastle has a large queue by 8am coming onto Burnt Ash.
  • It was at 2.30 last Sunday afternoon.

Yes I spoke to the firefighters. They were unimpressed that they hadn't been issued with a key.

It was this type of bollard.

Coffin Bollard - Fold Down Bollard

You can see the 'lock' part.

This was very similar to the tool used by the firefighter as the lock bit was kind of triangular:

Round Nose Pliers 115mm Sprung Pliers - cooksongoldcom

• Live just off Lee High Road, nightmare driving around here at the moment, still that was probably what they were hoping for so people are put off going out in the car. No idea how closing roads aids social distancing though.
  • Is that actually in Lewisham somewhere?
  • No that's islington.
  • Ah...Scotland  :o
  • Sponsored links:

• Unless you’re disabled or elderly there’s no need for a car in London.

• Yes, but if you are disabled or elderly, having roads closed is really unhelpful...
  • TeslaGirl said:
    Yes, but if you are disabled or elderly, having roads closed is really unhelpful...
    Not necessarily. But in general the people of London would be better off using public transport, walking or cycling.
    It’s a mind set thing. Let go of cars and it’s actually liberating.
  • iainment said:
    Unless you’re disabled or elderly there’s no need for a car in London.

There are no circumstances in which people need to drive? I'd suggest a car is an essential form of transport for most people wanting to lead a functioning working life.
  • There can be no doubt that it would be better in London if there were much much less car journeys and the streets were better for pedestrians, cycling were safe and off the pavements and footpaths, and public transport was safe reliable and affordable.
    It seems to me unarguable.
    However cars, especially electric cars, are not automatically the enemy. The way the posh people describe local journeys as 'rat runs' (the true London term is 'back doubles') speaks to their prejudice and distain. The implementation in Lee, a supposed attempt to stop motorists travelling through the area, has been badly introduced and the price of discouraging through traffic has been to cause more pollution in some areas and to essentially imprison local people who sometimes need to use their cars not for through journeys but locally.
    At the moment the weather is good, but these measures in howling gales and driving rain will imprison more of the less robust members of the community. It is also telling that decisions made regarding implementation of this initiative benefits the richer districts at the expense of the poorer ones.
    In my local bit, the council call them 'cells' which is hugely ironic, the two most industrial/ light industrial parts are the Hither Green railway works and the Chiltonian industrial estate. These enterprises have been sealed off from the leafy Lee Manor area and the only way in and out is via the South Circular, no alternative whatsoever.
  • iainment said:

There are no circumstances in which people need to drive? I'd suggest a car is an essential form of transport for most people wanting to lead a functioning working life.
    I didn’t say there are no circumstances but in London there’s no need for a car. 

My family didn’t have a car until I was in my teens. We managed as did every other family I knew.
  • So many reasons why a car is needed even in london.

I just made a last minute dash to go up the shops to get a couple or crates of beer and meat for the bbq I'm having in a few hours. No chance would I be walking back with all of that or waiting for a bus/tube.
  • They have closed this road in bow to allow children to play in the road and draw pictures on the road with their chalk sticks. If only there was a park nearby for the children to play.

• iainment said:
    iainment said:

I didn’t say there are no circumstances but in London there’s no need for a car. 

My family didn’t have a car until I was in my teens. We managed as did every other family I knew.
    Same here.
    It was the minority had cars where i grew up.
  • edited July 2020
    Some of the posters on here can probably remember a time before proper roads, let alone cars!

Stand and deliver ......