Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Field, Pratley Substitution

Did anybody else notice that as the discusion was going on, whether to make the sub or not, one of the coaches, I don't think it was Jackson, appeared to throw the set play book down in disgust.

Because of the timing that it took place during the discussion I took it to mean that he couldn't believe that Field was maybe staying on.

Comments

• The frustration was that Field couldn't receive the treatment he needed to stay on
  • It was Jackson.

I think it was because they were told they had to make the sub and couldn't just bandage up. Jacko threw it when the Ref was talking to Bowyer, the physio and the 4th official.
  • I'm surprised the ref allowed the Cardiff guy to stay on, he was wobbling all over the place until subbed. 
  • My guess would be that Field needed stitches and there was no where for him to get this treatment done. 
  • Just watched Bowyers press conference.  They wanted field to stay on so they could sub him at half time.  Making the sub when they did meant they only had two opportunities to sub in the second half meaning they had to make 2 changes each time.  If field had been able to play on until half time they could have changed him and still had three sub opportunities in the 2nd half.  Physio said that the cut needed stitches and that because of where it was it wasn't possible to bandage it so he had to come off.  Thats probably when Jacko lost it.  Also probably the same reason why the Cardiff player was asked to play on.  
  • Don't the three substitution periods include half-time?
  • Leuth said:
    Don't the three substitution periods include half-time?
    Half-time doesn't count
  • Leuth said:
    Don't the three substitution periods include half-time?
    No, also it doesn't include the drinks break so you can technically use them aswell.
  • So you can technically make changes at five different times? That doesn't seem to have happened much though
  • Sponsored links:

• I only say that I thought that Jacko was dissapointed that the sub was NOT going to be made is because he had gone through the set play book with Pratley and then there was the discussion that the sub is not going to be made.

I have not got the chance to watch it back so cannot say for definite.
  • Leuth said:
    So you can technically make changes at five different times? That doesn't seem to have happened much though
    True, its seems a bit ott. Not the other week when Arsenal had 2 players off in the first half. Perhaps the rules are used loosely, 5 subs in 3 intervals doesn't seem much but when you can do at half time or drinks breaks its plenty. 
  • How did Field play till then? 
  • You love to see it from Jacko...the passion. These lot will fight till the end! 
  • Leuth said:
    So you can technically make changes at five different times? That doesn't seem to have happened much though
    5 subs within 4 occasions.
    3 occasions at stops during play plus 1 during half time.
  • Poor Field .. as injuries go, he has been well & truly Charltonised !
  • Hopefully he’ll be back in the squad on Friday, thought he looked calm on the ball
  • mendonca said:
    How did Field play till then? 
    I thought he played ok, didn't pull any punches so to speak but was doing a job and we looked solid in the middle and he worked well with Cullen. Assuming he is fine to play could be similar on Friday i think. 
  • Field was fine, but no better than Pratley really. I'd be happy with either playing, whoever is fresher