Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

American Addicks/Addicks in the US.

124»

Comments

• Just joined recently, I'm a Charlton supporter living in San Francisco. Where in Oregon are you at SDAddick? I grew up in Portland, love the state
    Out of interest @StatesideAddick, what caused you to start following Charlton?

(I know some have explained before, but that question goes for the rest of you too. I’m always fascinated by the personal journeys non-british fans take to end up becoming Addicks!)
  • ct_addick said:
    I am in Connecticut although spent 2 months on Cape Cod at our house there. We are back in CT as it reopened and my wife has to go to work. She was earning more on unemployment as she was furloughed but she carries our health insurance and was 'asked' to come back. I am an IT consultant and have been working remotely. Biggest thing I miss is going for a beer with my footie mates and of course watching Charlton games on Valley Pass. The weather has picked up here after a cold spring so will probably be allowed to sit outside a bar. Looking forward to it and hopefully CAFC pulls thru these ownership issues and start playing again. 
    My mate in LA was earning more on unemployment and spending less and is gutted that he has to go back to work soon
  • edited May 2020
    Just joined recently, I'm a Charlton supporter living in San Francisco. Where in Oregon are you at SDAddick? I grew up in Portland, love the state
    I'm in Eugene! Love Portland. Might move there when this whole mess is over with. I grew up in LA and went to school in Berkeley, so know the Bay Area pretty well. Oh, and my brother lives in SF. We should try and do a West Coast Addicks get together sometime once freer movement is allowed. I've never met anyone from the board and I think @Rob is the only other one remotely close (think he's in Walnut Creek). Awesome to have you on board!
  • Oh awesome! 

@lordromford  Although I'm in America, my mother's English, and my family has supported Charlton since my great grandfather. Family legend has it that he was on his deathbed on the day Charlton played and lost, and when he asked how Charlton did, my grandmother lied and told him that we had drawn (he would have seen right through her if she had told him that we had won). 

@SDAddick For sure! I'd be very interested in a West Coast Addicks get together - perhaps once soccer is being played again we could all meet to watch a match

Count me in! Will travel from Seattle.
  • Oh awesome! 

@lordromford  Although I'm in America, my mother's English, and my family has supported Charlton since my great grandfather. Family legend has it that he was on his deathbed on the day Charlton played and lost, and when he asked how Charlton did, my grandmother lied and told him that we had drawn (he would have seen right through her if she had told him that we had won). 

@SDAddick For sure! I'd be very interested in a West Coast Addicks get together - perhaps once soccer is being played again we could all meet to watch a match

Count me in! Will travel from Seattle.
    Oh brilliant, I think I knew you were up there but had forgotten. Would love to have you, and if I ever end up in Seattle I'll ping you. 
  • Love seeing this.

Big high fives and a woop yeah baby being sent from this side the pond

Are you sure?!?!  We may decide to band together and invade the Valley from across the pond!
  • Been about a month since we last checked in on our health here. Masking up and playing it safe here in Kansas. How is the reopening going out there? Everybody healthy? 
  • Sponsored links:

• All good here in DC thanks @mikegaughan Glad you’re ok too.
    School term is nearly over, thank goodness, - online teaching got tedious quickly, then slightly annoying before becoming soul destroying!
    We had to cancel our summer holiday to the west coast - so we’re likely to stay here, but we might drive to a bit of nice countryside just to get away. Certainly not planning on visiting anywhere too busy - too many people seem to not give a toss about staying safe in the US, so we’re, like you, playing it a bit safe.
  • SDAddick said:
    Just joined recently, I'm a Charlton supporter living in San Francisco. Where in Oregon are you at SDAddick? I grew up in Portland, love the state
    I'm in Eugene! Love Portland. Might move there when this whole mess is over with. I grew up in LA and went to school in Berkeley, so know the Bay Area pretty well. Oh, and my brother lives in SF. We should try and do a West Coast Addicks get together sometime once freer movement is allowed. I've never met anyone from the board and I think @Rob is the only other one remotely close (think he's in Walnut Creek). Awesome to have you on board!
    I always presumed the SD meant you were from San Diego? 
  • @lordromford what level of school do you teach? We have a incoming 7th grader and I'm not sure how we go more than a week or two into the coming school year without an outbreak. Any preview of what the 20-21 school year will look like for you as an educator?
  • edited June 2020
    @lordromford what level of school do you teach? We have a incoming 7th grader and I'm not sure how we go more than a week or two into the coming school year without an outbreak. Any preview of what the 20-21 school year will look like for you as an educator?
    I teach secondary in a British school in DC. The school runs right through from age 3 to 18 though.
    Our school is planning for limited contact in the Fall term. Maximum 11 kids in a room, Compulsory masks onsite, weekly rotation of year groups to be remotely educated, that sort of thing.
    The thing is, we don’t know what the situation will be in August/September. We might be in lockdown again for all we know. I think the school is doing the right thing by planning for as many eventualities as possible, but nobody knows what’s actually in store.
    If there’s another outbreak, I’d assume we’d be told to do as we have been this term. This will mean less effective learning and more disengaged kids, which is an unfortunate inevitability in the circumstances.
    It’s likely to be a tough term.
    🙁
  • I don’t think planning a trip to The Valley is workable given the rest of the world is gonna bar travel by Americans. Can’t blame them. The highest single day of cases in the USA so far was... yesterday. 
  • Are any states locking down again?
  • My nephew lives not far from Syracusse NY state, although not heavily into football/soccer  his English team is Charlton, took him & his mates to a game a few years ago.  I am trying to persuade him to get an Addick sword tattoo. 

Yes good old Texas went back into "lockdown" on Friday. Bars closed with immediate effect, restaurants down to 50% capacity.
  • People were losing their minds in Wisconsin without their bars and drinking establishments, so they have all been packed to the gills since reopening. Expecting a massive increase in Wisconsin in the next few weeks.

The most shite of the 3 Milwaukee football bars (Liverpool bar) has reopened but I have no desire to be back in a space like that until the situation calms down 

Yes good old Texas went back into "lockdown" on Friday. Bars closed with immediate effect, restaurants down to 50% capacity.
    Texas is in lockdown but restaurant capacity reduced! Sound more like an inconvenience than a curfew
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t think planning a trip to The Valley is workable given the rest of the world is gonna bar travel by Americans. Can’t blame them. The highest single day of cases in the USA so far was... yesterday. 

We just have to be a bit creative and have time on our hands.  We could travel to a country and quarantine for 14 day (Australia) and then fly from Aus to London to watch our beloved Addicks!
  • I would be up for a West Coast meet up when we can get it arranged.

We just have to be a bit creative and have time on our hands.  We could travel to a country and quarantine for 14 day (Australia) and then fly from Aus to London to watch our beloved Addicks!
    You joke, but a colleague of mine returned to the UK for a wedding in February and hasn’t been allowed back since. The school’s lawyers have now advised him to fly to Mexico and stay there for 2 weeks before returning to the US. Farcical.
  • If there’s craft beer involved, I’d pop over to the west coast. If we could arrange it around a Portland game, that would be a bonus. I just missed one my last trip  
  • If the current takeover goes through, shall we plan a gathering in Denver?
  • Yes Addicks convention in Denver and TS is paying !