Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who would be the best supported clubs if everyone supported their local team

In terms of pure numbers I wonder who would be the best supported club if everyone had to support the club (of the 92 league clubs) nearest to where they grew up.

London clubs' support would be diluted by there being so many clubs.  Liverpool and United the same.  One city and town clubs like Newcastle wouldn't necessarily have the numbers of population to be huge.

Would be really interesting to know what the landscape would look like if people of this nation weren't such a bandwagon jumping bunch of glory hunters.

Comments

• edited June 2020
    Bet Gillingham would do alright as they'd virtually have the whole of Kent to themselves...
  • Bet Gillingham would do alright as they'd virtually have the whole of Kent to themselves...
    Not a massive population though and once you start getting to NW Kent you are moving to Charlton being nearer or palace if you go further round.
  • Leeds must be the largest one club city?
  • Plymouth would probably have all Cornwall and Devon so they’d be up I’d imagine.
    also Gillingham would be bigger.
    I know you mention one club city but they've still got a smaller population than Cornwall as their local League team would be Plymouth
  • edited June 2020
    Leeds must be the largest one club city?
    Surrounded by other clubs though, Bradford, Huddersfield, York etc. so once you start moving away from the immediate centre you'd be losing support to the others by catchment area.
  • Cardiff or Swansea?
  • Carlisle United.

They'd have all those sweaty's supporting them
  • Addickted said:
    Carlisle United.

They'd have all those sweaty's supporting them
    Biggest town in Britain!
  • edited June 2020
    Plymouth would probably have all Cornwall and Devon so they’d be up I’d imagine.
    Exeter would presumably split up cornwall
  • Sponsored links:

• LTKapal said:
    Plymouth would probably have all Cornwall and Devon so they’d be up I’d imagine.
    Exeter would presumably split up cornwall
    But if your travelling to your most local League team then people from Cornwall have to go past Plymouth...

So no fans from Cornwall should be supporting Exeter
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Been banging this drum all week ever since Liverpool won the title when hundreds of so called liverpool fans popped up on my facebook and I dont think actually of them were born or have family from Liverpool. For me there are only two legitimate reasons to support a football club which is geography and family. Either where you are from or where your family are from,  and I wont except 2nd generation glory hunters who say well my dad was a liverpool fan though , yh and wasn't from Liverpool  either.

The only exception to this rule I sometimes allow, is what I class as the weird ones , for example I have friend who avidly follows Dover Athletic because he managed them once on a football manager game , or the kid from Scotland in Argyle and Bute who decided to follow Plymouth.

I always say though if choose to support a team just because they are a big club you are only short changing yourself,  you will never experience the real emotions and feelings a true football fan goes through. 
    Well, my boys are third generation Charlton fans, so I'll take that! One born in Oxford, one born in Frimley, Surrey. Both brought up and live in Norwich, but support Charlton.

They could quite easily have been Norwich, or the stereotypical Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, but they're Charlton. That's fine by me. 
  • edited June 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    ...The only exception to this rule I sometimes allow, is what I class as the weird ones , for example I have friend who avidly follows Dover Athletic because he managed them once on a football manager game , or the kid from Scotland in Argyle and Bute who decided to follow Plymouth...
    Your 'weird ones' sounds like a very Danny Baker topic. The one that sticks in my mind is they guy who follows Norwich because one Christmas his nan gave him a green and yellow scarf. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Been banging this drum all week ever since Liverpool won the title when hundreds of so called liverpool fans popped up on my facebook and I dont think actually of them were born or have family from Liverpool. For me there are only two legitimate reasons to support a football club which is geography and family. Either where you are from or where your family are from,  and I wont except 2nd generation glory hunters who say well my dad was a liverpool fan though , yh and wasn't from Liverpool  either.

The only exception to this rule I sometimes allow, is what I class as the weird ones , for example I have friend who avidly follows Dover Athletic because he managed them once on a football manager game , or the kid from Scotland in Argyle and Bute who decided to follow Plymouth.

I always say though if choose to support a team just because they are a big club you are only short changing yourself,  you will never experience the real emotions and feelings a true football fan goes through. 
    Well, my boys are third generation Charlton fans, so I'll take that! One born in Oxford, one born in Frimley, Surrey. Both brought up and live in Norwich, but support Charlton.

They could quite easily have been Norwich, or the stereotypical Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, but they're Charlton. That's fine by me. 
    Yh I'm a 4th generation charlton fan born in stoke , that's fine   my point is when people say there dad was say liverpool fan and the only reason they were liverpool themselves was because they were a glory hunter.
  • Leuth said:
    Bad news, folks: Croydon + Bromley = over 700,000 people :grimace:
    Bromley is the biggest London Borough, which I was very surprised to find out last week
  • Sponsored links:

• barstool said:
    Leuth said:
    Bromley is the biggest London Borough, which I was very surprised to find out last week
    About 3/4 of it is Kent 
  • I think Reading and Northampton are the largest towns in England

wakefield largest city without professional club maybe. 
  • Croydon said:
    barstool said:
    Leuth said:
    About 3/4 of it is Kent 
    No it’s not - the clue is in the name........London Borough of
    Surrounded by other clubs though, Bradford, Huddersfield, York etc. so once you start moving away from the immediate centre you'd be losing support to the others by catchment area.
    True but they also have Wakefield which would be split mostly between them and Barnsley. 
  • I'd be forced to be a welling United fan.

Would probably lose interest...if it wasn't the 92 club rule.

Maybe Charlton would be the local? Can't be Gillingham

It's likely Newcastle and Sunderland would be exactly the same and have close to same amount of fans that they have now.

Millwall would be a huge club? London bridge population?
  • The Mumbai Indians 

• Gillingham & Brighton have fairly large, well populated, parts of the country to themselves.
  • The infographic posted further up says the top 3 are:

1. Brighton
    2. Birmingham
    3. Brentford

Cardiff and Swansea were 3rd and 4th but technically some of their nearest support lives in Devon and Somerset so they removed them.