Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andre Green released by Villa

Good news for us even if he goes elsewhere as he is playing for a contract. Would you sign him or has he not proved himself yet?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/confirmed-callum-ohare-among-14-18491216?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar 

Comments

• We've got pretty much close to no chance of signing him but it'd be a great free transfer 
  • Jury is out for me. He started quite well but disappeared bit as the season wore on. Possibly was carrying a knock though and morale was ebbing away too. Will be interesting  to see if he picks up again now the mood in the camp seems to have been somewhat rejuvenated by the break. If his form picks up, I'd be after him on a free transfer. If it's more  of the immediately pre-lockdown anonymity then it'd be a pass from me.
  • Villa, meanwhile, have confirmed Ross McCormack's contract has formally expired after an ill-fated four years which materialised into just 23 appearances and three goals after the Scot's £12m transfer from Fulham in 2016.

I forgot about him. He was a good player. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    scruffle said:
    We've got pretty much close to no chance of signing him but it'd be a great free transfer 
    Trickle down effect.  I think there is close to zero chance villa would have released him, and some of the others, before they knew what division they would be in next season.  In normal times. 

There are going to be dozens, if not 100s, of out of contract players who could "do a job" in the championship next season. You also have to factor league 1 teams are releasing some players they never normally would because they now can't afford thier wages. 

Player wages are going to nose dive, more than ever.  I still think Taylor will get a "set for life" contract, but will be on a lot less than he thought 12 weeks ago. 

That's not necessarily true about Lyle. It depends on where he ends up going and who else is interested in signing him. As a free transfer he is going to be in demand and strikers will always demand a premium. 
  • Amazed they have let him go with them still being relegation threatened. I would expect his wages to be too high even in this economy - would be a great signing though
  • Jury is out for me. He started quite well but disappeared bit as the season wore on. Possibly was carrying a knock though and morale was ebbing away too. Will be interesting  to see if he picks up again now the mood in the camp seems to have been somewhat rejuvenated by the break. If his form picks up, I'd be after him on a free transfer. If it's more  of the immediately pre-lockdown anonymity then it'd be a pass from me.
    I think he injured his knee after the bright start and was managing it. Hopefully he's fit now
  • Remind me, how tall is he? 
  • Stewart said:
    Villa, meanwhile, have confirmed Ross McCormack's contract has formally expired after an ill-fated four years which materialised into just 23 appearances and three goals after the Scot's £12m transfer from Fulham in 2016.

I forgot about him. He was a good player. 
    I thought he was released last June? He will be 34 in August and hasn't kicked a ball for anyone in 20 months. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Will he be playing for a contract or playing to stay injury free?  Who knows.

Poor man's Leko though.

Poor man's Leko though.
    Agree with the last sentence. Not sure I would sign either, but Leko is the better player.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    scruffle said:
    We've got pretty much close to no chance of signing him but it'd be a great free transfer 
    Trickle down effect.  I think there is close to zero chance villa would have released him, and some of the others, before they knew what division they would be in next season.  In normal times. 

There are going to be dozens, if not 100s, of out of contract players who could "do a job" in the championship next season. You also have to factor league 1 teams are releasing some players they never normally would because they now can't afford thier wages. 

Player wages are going to nose dive, more than ever.  I still think Taylor will get a "set for life" contract, but will be on a lot less than he thought 12 weeks ago. 

That's not necessarily true about Lyle. It depends on where he ends up going and who else is interested in signing him. As a free transfer he is going to be in demand and strikers will always demand a premium. 
    Whether a club thinks he is a premium worthy striker may be determined by how many goals Lyle scored after coming back from injury; and whether it was really true he was worried about getting injured in the last period of his contract
  • In Bowyer (and Gallen) we trust. They saw something that piqued interest enough to sign him loan, if they think he's good enough to sign permanently I will trust that judgment, if he's not impressed in training etc so be it.

• Quick and strong but he isn’t a natural , I’d take him in league one but would prefer Leko in championship , all that is based on us having normal owners with a bit of dough .... well that isn’t happening so we’ll take what we can get whatever league we’re in .
  • I'd sign him up. Get him now and maybe get him cheap due to providing him a security blanket. It just depends on how much he wants. But the pedigree is there. And he's still young, consistency will come. 
  • he seems to be able to beat a man on the outside and get a cross in which is a key reqt for a wide man / forward and not all can so that's certainly a good starting point but probably needs to become more consistent and show more more influence in games before we commit to anything - as has been said, jury still out 
  • thenewbie said:
    In Bowyer (and Gallen) we trust. They saw something that piqued interest enough to sign him loan, if they think he's good enough to sign permanently I will trust that judgment, if he's not impressed in training etc so be it.

I think, with the transfer embargo in place, they had to take what they could get so we can't assume he was one they would have gone for under normal circumstances - yes, I know nothing at Charlton has been 'normal' for many a year, but you know what I mean.
  • Hope we see more of him this season, he’s looked very exciting so far. 
  • Sponsored links:

Poor man's Leko though.
    Agree with the last sentence. Not sure I would sign either, but Leko is the better player.
    I’m really not sure, Leko has some good natural abilities but is waaaay too unpredictable at the moment. I would say Leko has greater potential, but I don’t think he’s a better player than Green today.
  • Would definitely take Green permanently. He'll be 22 in a month, I'm actually really surprised at how young he is. He's scored two goals for us while learning on the job with no lead up, and playing in a team pretty bereft of confidence and shorn of its best players. People compare him to Leko a lot but forget that Leko had a lot more playing time and wasn't exactly winning hearts at the start. Green has moved between playing up front and out wide as Bowyer has experimented and scored 2 goals for us in his first 4 games; Leko on the other hand took 9 games to score two goals. He scored on his fifth game for us, Green on his second. Leko ended up with 5 goals in 21 appearances, including scoring in three games in a row when he hit a good patch, Green has 2 in 11. I do think Leko had adapted to his new role better over time but there's clearly potential in Green, he seems to be willing to learn from Bowyer and he works hard. Plus I get the feeling Bowyer will get more wide men in over the summer as he looks to be wanting to play with more width, so Green would be well suited for that. If he wants to come and we can offer him a deal he'll take then we'd be nuts not to snap him up.
  • A no brainer if we can get him on a free.
  • Really rate him, doesn't have Leko's magic moments but does seem to have a lot of consistency - always think that's one of the most important attributes for an attacking player, esp out wide.
  • I think he would be worth signing but it doesn’t matter what I think or anybody else on this site, it’s whether the gang of three think they want him in their plans for next season.
  • I might be wrong but when we signed Green didnt Bowyer say that he was more used to playing out wide and would have to get used to playing up front in the role that Leko was playing?

If so then its definitely worth remembering that Andre's performances are coming from a player out of position effectively

As a result we may well choose to go after other targets and so try for round pegs in round holes rather than signing a player because there are no other options
  • If wages were agreeable he would be a great free transfer.  You’ve got to hope he feels settled with us and maybe we could do a “Jonny Williams” type agreement and get a year out of him.

if Leko were available (ie if WBA get promoted) I’d take him in a heartbeat as those two would be young, English and would terrorise championship defences. 
    Both players are likely to improve

• Certainly worth signing but I expect he would be out of the question on our wage budget.