Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Segway - RIP

Closing down on 15th July.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53160518
Always fancied a Segway - but put off by the high price.  Think they've been superseded a bit by e-scooters and e-bikes.  Anyone been on one?

Comments

• Always a fine balance. 
  • The time has fairly scooted by!
  • A millionaire businessman who fell from a cliff while riding his Segway scooter probably died after trying to make way for a dog walker, an inquest has heard.

Jimi Heselden, 62, reversed the machine to make way for another dog walker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14167868#:~:text=A%20millionaire%20businessman%20who%20fell,way%20for%20another%20dog%20walker.
  • Chizz said:

A millionaire businessman who fell from a cliff while riding his Segway scooter probably died after trying to make way for a dog walker, an inquest has heard.

Jimi Heselden, 62, reversed the machine to make way for another dog walker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14167868#:~:text=A%20millionaire%20businessman%20who%20fell,way%20for%20another%20dog%20walker.
    I feel really awful saying but... "Bet he didnt see that coming"
  • Looks like the wheels have come off. 
  • The laid off workers will now be within Giro scope.
  • <Insert> pun about wheels or balance </insert>
  • edited June 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    <Insert> pun about wheels or balance </insert>
    Lifers do seem able to segue a news story into puns
  • Sponsored links:

• That is sad. They are great fun to ride. I will miss them.
  • I think Segway is still operating, just not producing the OG two-wheeler anymore.

My friend has one of these Segway escooters, had a go on it the other day. Pretty decent as an short commute to work. He travels from Horn Park to Lewisham on it everyday:

https://www.halfords.com/scooters/electric-scooters/segway-ninebot-e22e-electric-kick-scooter-438422.html

• Just keep mine in the lean to.
  • edited June 2020
    How will they get from one pointless item on The One Show, to the next, now, without a segue?
  • edited June 2020
    A Sinclair C5 for the new century.

Not reinventing the wheel, but close enough
  • I worked for a tech company a few years ago and they arranged for us to have a go on some Segways round the car park at lunchtime. Great fun but I managed to come off at speed by hitting a pothole and that rather spoilt my afternoon in the office.  :D
  • Worked in Oakland last year and commuted from my apartment to the office on an escooter. Great fun 
  • I love a Segway, great fun to do tours and stuff like that on them when abroad. I don't think I'd want to be on one for commuting but I understand those who do 

That said I also love quad bikes and choppers, I think its wheels are my kink
  • think I'm right in saying that Segways, e-scooters, hover boards etc still remain illegal to use on public roads in the UK. I can see that legislation changing relatively soon as we move to shorter commutes and reduction in car /fossil fuel use.
  • Sponsored links:

• I went on one once at centre parcs , bit of fun for 5 mins but surprisingly slow as I was over taken by bikes with kids in trailers attached to them , think maybe they limited them , what’s the usual top speed?
  • Carter said:
    I love a Segway, great fun to do tours and stuff like that on them when abroad. I don't think I'd want to be on one for commuting but I understand those who do 

That said I also love quad bikes and choppers, I think its wheels are my kink

Not all choppers have wheels '-)
    Helicopter flights over the st tropez bay adventure vacation
  • I went on one once at centre parcs , bit of fun for 5 mins but surprisingly slow as I was over taken by bikes with kids in trailers attached to them , think maybe they limited them , what’s the usual top speed?
    90mph off a cliff.
  • For me Segways always equal...

• edited June 2020
    I went on one once at centre parcs , bit of fun for 5 mins but surprisingly slow as I was over taken by bikes with kids in trailers attached to them , think maybe they limited them , what’s the usual top speed?
    5mph restricted, 13mph unrestricted. 2 modes changeable on the control unit from memory.

Started out popular in the events industry, then everyone came and operated them to differing standards. Too many accidents with people usually getting too cocky too quickly. They are great machines. Take a sec to get used too.

At Centre Parcs and Go Ape people frequently hit stuff on the ground likes roots and kids, and in Europe it was people that got hit. I've been run over numerous times at 5mph running them for Events, and they aren't half weighty. Never had anyone fall off in the 8 years been running them apart from myself...being cocky!

In the UK all hoverboards, electric scooters, segways are illegal on public land. Private only.
  • For me Segways always equal...

GOB from Arrested Development for me.