Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Young, Gifted and Black

The majestic but troubled Nina Simone original from 1969 or the 1970 reggae hit for Bob and Marcia?

Listen to both without prejudice (in all senses of that phrase) and say which you prefer.

https://youtu.be/RTGiKYqk0gY

https://youtu.be/ubDVUQon5BE

Comments

• Bob and Marcia for me -Great song
  • Bob and Marcia for me -Great song

+1
  • No contest for me, Bob and Marcia. I didn't like the Nina Simone one at all, another one of hers with that awful school piano sound and dreadful pregnant pauses. Great singer, but but I wish she'd found a better producer. The Bob and Marcia one was another kettle of fish altogether. So uplifting and positive, as an old, ordinary and white man I couldn't help tapping along to its infectious rhythm. Wonderful stuff. 
  • It's Bob and Marcia for me 
  • Another vote for Bob and Marcia, the uptempo arrangement was a far more effective way of spreading the message too
  • Nina is musical genius but in this instance I prefer Bob and Marcia.
  • Every other cover to cover someone pops up saying they prefer the Nina Simone version not mentioned so I include one of her songs and no one picks her!

😁
  • Nina Simone for me. 

I’ll listen to it later when I can find my headphones 👍
  • Bob and Marcia
  • Every other cover to cover someone pops up saying they prefer the Nina Simone version not mentioned so I include one of her songs and no one picks her!

😁

Well I will changed that, love Nina Simone one of the greatest female singers of all time, like the  Bob and Marcia version as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bob and Marcia
  • Perhaps the most one-sided cover to cover yet?
  • Love them both, but Nina Simone for me.

• Bob and Marcia for me too, even got a copy of it on 7" vinyl.
  • Bob and Marcia for me. 

just watched the really good documentary "I am not your Negro" - that was on last week. BBC2. which James Baldwin mentions the play/film. 

the original song sung by Nina Simone was inspired by Lorraine Hansberry who wrote the play "A Raisin in the Sun" (the first play to be written by a black woman for Broadway) with Sidney Poitier in the lead role. 
  • Bought the B&M album 70/71? Hearing this now just sounds very light weight. Reggae with strings ? Guess there were a few doing it to try & get some commercial success. I'll have to go with Nina.
  • can I say I prefer the Areatha Franklin version?

No
    No.

You can mention the Elton John version though.
  • Bob & Marcia  without doubt.