Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plumbing question

Our kitchen mixer tap is having some problems. We are due to move house soon, but alas this isn't a crack I can paper over. The cold is not so much dripping as a constant trickle, and the hot leaks out the side when turned on. Realistically, are we talking new tap? I've heard changing a washer is a pain. I've replaced bathroom taps before, and quite frankly I'd rather pay someone than climb up inside the kitchen cabinet. I just don't want to pay them twice to tell me my tap needs replacing, and then for replacing it. 

Btw, the person we are selling to is annoying me, so it'll be the worst, cheapest tap I can find.

Comments

• I'm not great at DIY, but sounds like washers to me.
  • I reckon that's the problem, question is try to replace washers or the whole shebang
  • It's usually the ceramic mixer valve that goes. Fairly straightforward. 
  • As long as you can turn off the water then tap washers are generally an easy cheap fix. Worth trying first.
    It might be the seats, at which point maybe a new tap might be as well, but as tap washers cost pennies it makes sense to give it a go.

I cant turn off the water in this house as my stopcock is knackered and whoever plumbed the taps in didnt use any valves in the pipe runs, but I still managed to change a basin tap washer in the bathroom without flooding the place the other day - drip totally gone.
  • I’d have thought £60 ish to get a plumber to do it plus similar for a new cheap tap. Just guessing but that ball park I’d imagine. Maybe worth it to save the grief. Doubt replacing washers is much more viable as aren’t they ceramic discs or similar these days and really meant to be life of the tap. 
  • You tube videos can be handy for the simpler DIY tasks.
  • Thanks folks. Luckily there's a valve leading up to the taps, so I have switch off the dripping cold one
  • I changed a leaking outside tap last week with the help of Youtube and I've never done anything remotely to do with plumbing.

If you do it yourself change the tap to a decent one, then you have the old one to switch back after the sale has gone through...
  • If both hot and cold are leaking, then a new tap is probably the best idea.  If you have isolation valves on both the hot and cold supply, it's easy enough to close them, remove the old tap and replace with a new one.  Cheapish mixers are well under £100.

However, if you haven't done this kind of thing before, you'll need one or two tools.  Plus access under the sink can be tricky … especially when you try to tighten the retaining nut under the base of the tap.  If you're confident, it's quite easy, but if you are unsure … well, that's what you pay the pros for.

Shop around, buy yourself a tap and take the hit on a bit of a labour.  The new house owner will love you for it, and you will rack up 'good karma' which ensures that your new house doesn't come complete with similar problems.

That's how it works, doesn't it?

• Sponsored links:

• I do stuff like change taps.  But recently it went horribly wrong.  Needed to change a failing mixer and decided to buy a good one - a Grohe.

A big mistake.  The pipe tails had a 12mm fitting, so they would not attach to the standard isolating valves.  So had to call a plumber in to make up short lengths of 12/15mm adaptors. Beyond my skill levels.

So, if you're buying a new tap make sure it actually fits and don't buy stuff made by a German company that can't be arsed to make kit with UK specifications.
  • Give me a message tomorrow mate and I will FaceTime you and talk you through how to change the ceramic discs or tap  I'm a plumber 
    Where are you based?  or alternatively  what area's are you happy to cover.   I  have a couple of plumbing problems that need sorting. 
  • save yourself trouble & misery, call a masked up plumber and make sure you social distance from him and the mixer
  • Give me a message tomorrow mate and I will FaceTime you and talk you through how to change the ceramic discs or tap  I'm a plumber 
    Appreciate that mate, just dropped you a message. 
  • @cafcledbury Can I suggest you add yourself to the Marketplace Trades Directory ? That way we can point people your way if they're asking about plumbers in the neck of the woods you operate in.
  • Hi All unfortunately for all of you I live  near Gloucester. I’m more than happy to give you advice or even talk you through how to do it. Hope that helps. Thanks. 
  • Hi All unfortunately for all of you I live  near Gloucester. I’m more than happy to give you advice or even walk you through how to do it. Hope that helps. Thanks. 
     No thanks, I’ve heard about the puddles down there.
  • That's a bit of luck I live in Cheltenham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi All unfortunately for all of you I live  near Gloucester. I’m more than happy to give you advice or even talk you through how to do it. Hope that helps. Thanks. 
    Any knowledge of Air Source Heat Pumps for providing energy for water piped underfloor heating? Ta.