Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Haircuts

So, as I get more and more like Captain Caveman every day and given that hairdressers are still banned from opening, where on Earth is every bloke and his dog getting their hair cut?  We’re not all married to hairdressers. I don’t just mean the countless self attempts at a number two all over with newly purchased trimmers which are pretty obvious. Watching the footy and wandering around Sainsbury’s today, there are some serious quiffs on show and very few unkempt hayfields like my ageing bonce.  There is clearly a black economy going on out there.  How is this happening please?  I’m desperate. 

Comments

• You shouldn’t have a number two all over mate, they’ll never let you in the hairdressers when they reopen because of the smell....
  • I've had the best haircut in ages and I did it myself. Practice makes perfect. The BBC has a useful video on how to use trimmers and scissors to do it yourself.

Thinking barbers are overrated even if it is just a tenner or so.
  • Going for the Tom Hanks in castaway look myself. Proper mop on top after almost 4 months, and a few stray pubes as a beard given that I can’t grow one. Not sure what you’re worrying about - other than the beard being super itchy (having never had one before)
  • Apart from watching our lads once again, I now have something else to look forward to.....

I have an appointment in 402 hours 15minutes time ! 

Can't wait !!!
  • So, as I get more and more like Captain Caveman every day and given that hairdressers are still banned from opening, where on Earth is every bloke and his dog getting their hair cut?  We’re not all married to hairdressers. I don’t just mean the countless self attempts at a number two all over with newly purchased trimmers which are pretty obvious. Watching the footy and wandering around Sainsbury’s today, there are some serious quiffs on show and very few unkempt hayfields like my ageing bonce.  There is clearly a black economy going on out there.  How is this happening please?  I’m desperate. 
    I'm in the same boat, desperate for a cut. I'm not used to long hair in summer, going to be really uncomfortable this week...

Going for the Tom Hanks in castaway look myself. Proper mop on top after almost 4 months, and a few stray pubes as a beard given that I can’t grow one. Not sure what you’re worrying about - other than the beard being super itchy (having never had one before)
    I grew a sort of beard for the first 2 months of lockdown, but didn't need the warming effect of a dead rat sleeping on my neck and shaved it off!
  • I think the secret to doing it yourself is not to be over-ambitious; just a little, all-over trim the first time, stay in for a few days if necessary, then a week later do it again. No- one will notice or saying anything outside the immediate family and each time your confidence, and results, will improve.

Result: money saved, summer-ready, no queuing, and banal chat about holidays while nervously waiting to see if the barber got it right this time.
  • edited June 2020
    My girlfriend has been cutting my hair all throughout lockdown. She cut it again for me on Friday, and kid you not, it’s the best haircut I’ve had in a long time.

Thankfully I’ve got a professional hair and beard trimmer and we have scissors and thinning scissors too, so basically all we need. Not sure if I’ll be going back to the barbers when it reopens. Saves me well over £100 a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    My girlfriend has been cutting my hair all throughout lockdown. She cut it again for me on Friday, and kid you not, it’s the best haircut I’ve had in a long time.

Thankfully I’ve got a professional hair and beard trimmer and we have scissors and thinning scissors too, so basically all we need. Not sure if I’ll be going back to the barbers when it reopens. Saves me well over £100 a year.
    I admire your bravery! The thought of my girlfriend going anywhere near me whilst holding sharp implement petrifies me ;) 
  • Sage said:

I admire your bravery! The thought of my girlfriend going anywhere near me whilst holding sharp implement petrifies me ;) 
    Haha! Sure it wouldn’t be so bad? :joy:

My hair grows so fast anyway, at the beginning of lockdown I figured I’m not going out anywhere, what’s it matter? If it messes up, it’ll grow back in a couple of weeks. Turned out alright and been pretty good since.
  • My daughter trimmed mine this afternoon as a Fathers Day treat. Used her brothers beard trimmer & a pair of hairdresser scissors. Looks ok but I will still be in the line at our local barbers on July 4th. 
  • Andros Townsend showing the way forward. That is some Barnet 
  • It all depends on what you want and how fussy you are.

Number 2 shaved all the way around your head, to about an inch above your ears. Then a number 4/5 all over the top and a number 3 used to blend the two shaves together.

Had to convince my missus that she could do it and have since had 3 cuts during lockdown. The last of which was last Thursday.

I'm with @swords_alive in that barbers are overrated, but only if you have a simple buzz cut.
  • I recall making the drastic change when male pattern baldness got the better of me.  'Number one all over', I said.  

The female hairdresser said, 'Are you sure?' 'Yes' I said.

When I went back she said 'What did they all say?'  'Nothing', I said.  'What do you mean nothing?' she said.  'Nobody noticed',  I said.  'What about your family?' she said. 'Nothing', I said ... 'Nobody said nothing, they didn't notice, not one person, not even my family'.    

I suppose this could be a sad indictment on my life, but I rather fancy we shouldn't get too het up about all this stuff, yer average Joe/Jo doesn't give a toss what you do with your hair.
  • Mrs Plum excitedly offers to cut my hair every few days.
    She has never cut hair in her life but insists she would be good at it.
    In fact she is bored and it would provide entertainment for her, I am not letting my hair be her plaything.
    I think the term 'style it out' is appropriate in these circumstances.
    PaddyP17 has enough hair to create a nouveau Bayeux Tapestry 20 meters long!
  • I purchased a pair of clippers a couple of weeks back as with the warmer weather I needed to cut it, I didn't mess it up!! Was so pleased with it. Not quite the same style but it looks smart at least. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad I put this thread up. A few genuine laugh out loud moments. Cheers guys. My worry is that I’ll end up looking like one of those golfers who takes his cap off and reveals that his head has been in shadow for too long! I give you Mr Stewart Cink, Open Champion and Cue Ball Head virtuoso. I’d buy a pair of clippers but I’m awaiting shoulder surgery so to reach my bonce with my right hand. The thought of trying it left handed (down Mehmet, down!) or letting Mrs SB loose doesn’t fill me with joy. 

• My missus has been cutting my hair since we moved to Portugal 17 years ago, so no change for me. Though I have grown a beard just for shits n giggles...

Number 2 shaved all the way around your head, to about an inch above your ears. Then a number 4/5 all over the top and a number 3 used to blend the two shaves together.

Had to convince my missus that she could do it and have since had 3 cuts during lockdown. The last of which was last Thursday.

I'm with @swords_alive in that barbers are overrated, but only if you have a simple buzz cut.

So your missus does all that hard work, only for you to then permanently put your flat cap back on until the next cut.

Miiiiiiii........

2, 3, 4/5 ?  Too much poncing about, always kept my hair short apart from a mad couple of years in the 70s :-) so opted for a 0 (1mm) all over, can't go wrong. No worries about is that level with the other side etc, get it all off.

2, 3, 4/5 ?  Too much poncing about, always kept my hair short apart from a mad couple of years in the 70s :-) so opted for a 0 (1mm) all over, can't go wrong. No worries about is that level with the other side etc, get it all off.
    Been doing this for decades. 
  • My missus does mine and my boys. Well she does the scissor work and I do the clippers. Done my own and I have to say looks pretty good.

It's my poor old barber I feel sorry for. He's been in the same shop for nigh on 25 years. He got hammered when all the Turks started popping up all over the place and now this. Reckon it it will tip him over the edge.
  • No 1 all over since lockdown.....love it, doubt I'll change it now
  • Have been doing mine and my son’s hair. On the third cut now. 

My hair trimmers have different length combs you fit in and then the trimmers can be adjusted to go from 0.5 to 2.5 themselves.

So the 2mm comb really cuts between 2.5mm and 4.5mm.

Anyway the back and sides are short, shorter as you go down. I haven’t blended in the top, there is length there. Last time had to do the top as well and just lifted it up and took the trimmers to the ends. 

Could be worse

• Could be worse

Hmmm - possibly ;-)