Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Martin Ford RIP

Shocked to hear its my old VCD managers funeral today. Fordy apparently had a formidable partnership with Paul Walsh at youth level with Charlton before Palaces Billy Gilbert ended his playing career. Fordy was like marmite.  He gave me shed loads of stick. But in his words, '" get out of muggy Sunday football" , I did & even tho we would disagree over different things, he went on to offer me the VCD reserve team managers job, but watching Charlton always used to pull back. With my limited career, Fordy made me, again in his words, "wafty" the player I was. Sad loss to non league football. Gutted, VCD legend.

Comments

• edited June 2020
    As in big nose Martin Ford? I had no idea he passed away that’s awful. I know his son Joe was ill recently and had his leg amputated due to sepsis. Really shocked at this news.
  • Yeah, remember we was in a mini bus on the way home from some presentation having a sing song & he got, "it's by far the biggest nose, the world has ever seen" etc. Yeah, got a phone call this morning, my minds been going over different things with him. Whatever happened with him leaving VCD I don't care, he made them what/where they are. Proper footballing man.
  • Yes my dad used to drink with him and as we were all Phoenix people, we had a banter type relationship. Just spoke to my brother who went this morning, also gave him his first coaching job. Really taken back by this, lovely bloke.
  • Lot of banter between Phoenix & Vickers. Think that was my last game for Vickers against Phoenix. From memory, I was marking a pacy lad called Sweeting & centre half with me that night was the former Welling manager Dean Frost. 
  • Lot of banter between Phoenix & Vickers. Think that was my last game for Vickers against Phoenix. From memory, I was marking a pacy lad called Sweeting & centre half with me that night was the former Welling manager Dean Frost. 
    Yeah Barry Sweeting. I know Frosty as well. You probably know my brother Scott Saunders, played for pretty much every club in Kent.
  • Rings a bell, would probably recognise him. Think we had ' Pea ed' come to us briefly.
  • Rings a bell, would probably recognise him. Think we had ' Pea ed' come to us briefly.
    Yeah he’s one of my brothers mates. Good friendly rivalry Phoenix and VCD, plenty of mutual friends.
  • my mates brother managed VCD for quite a while and played for them - i guess you guys would know him?  Ricky Bennett , charlton fan as well
  • Yeah, remember him. Another pacy forward from memory.
  • yes, he was, as my mate Dave Curtis (Danson centre half) describes him a 'pest' - very quick not giving defenders a minute to settle on ball 
  • Sponsored links:

• My Son in Law Lee Coburn ( Cobes) went to the memorial yesterday.
    He told me that he had loads of respect for him.
  • OMG ... I grew up with Fordy. We used to have a kick about on King George’s Field opposite the Welcome Inn. Was a good lad. Hadn’t seen him for years so sad to see that he has passed. RIP
  • my mate went to his funeral - said there must have been 300 people back at VCD after - socially distancing of course