Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Luiz

With Arsenal away at the Amex on Saturday, they have decided not to appeal David Luiz’s red card. But Brighton have.

Comments

• David Luiz should be  an inspiration to everyone & give us all some self belief.  If David Luiz can make it as a professional footballer, you can do anything!!!

• Man City’s man of the match last night , assist for a goal , winning a penalty and reducing Arsenal to 10 men , well played sir 
  • Some poor sod of a club is going to end with him soon.Something to look forward to!
  • I see in his post-match interview he said Arteta has told him he wants to keep him.... surely not? lol

He single handedly cost them the game last night. Had they gone in level at HT, they had subs in Laca, Pepe and Martinelli who could've come on and posed a threat.  

• Can see him end up and either West ham or Palarse. 

He wants to stay in London and both clubs love an old donkey
  • Luiz has always had a mistake in him. He has that touch of arrogance that says "I'm a footballer first and defender second".

The one season when he actually played consistently well was when Chelsea won the title in 2016/17 - but they played with wing backs and a back 3 that meant any mistakes of his were more easily rectified.  
  • Luiz has always had a mistake in him. He has that touch of arrogance that says "I'm a footballer first and defender second".

The one season when he actually played consistently well was when Chelsea won the title in 2016/17 - but they played with wing backs and a back 3 that meant any mistakes of his were more easily rectified.  
    He will have played alongside Gary Cahill, for some of that season. Let's hope he rocks up at Palace.
  • Never understood why he’s always turned up at top teams, the Brazilian Titus bramble. 
  • yeah luiz didnt help, you could argue having 27% possesion and 0 shots on target didnt help either - at least thats what it was when i last looked at around the 82 minute mark

True but they've gone from now and again to all the time as he's getting past it.

• Sponsored links:

• yeah luiz didnt help, you could argue having 27% possesion and 0 shots on target didnt help either - at least thats what it was when i last looked at around the 82 minute mark

Yeah it didn't really improve from there.

Arteta did show faith but maybe shouldn't have started Nketiah. He missed a few half-chances and didn't see a few passes to Auba when he was in a good position.

The injuries really didn't do Arsenal any favours. Arteta was forced to change his plans and once David Luiz got sent off, all attacking substitutions went out the window. Really from then on, it was all about damage limitation.

• I do feel a bit bad for Luiz. He's an absolute comedy act on occasion but he's also absolutely brilliant sometimes in a way that doesn't get quite so much attention. He's 33 now, which is starting to show, but in his career so far he's won the Portuguese league, the Premier League, the FA Cup twice, the Champions League (where he was near-perfect in a 10 man performance against Barce and a match against Bayern where Chelsea were missing key players), the Europa League twice, everything in France twice over and the Confederations Cup with Brazil. That's a record most footballers would kill for - I reckon Titus Bramble would trade his Wigan Player of the Year trophy for it - and he's been a big part of the teams that have won those titles. He's easy (and enjoyable) to make fun of because of his obvious errors but when he's on fire, out-muscling strikers, bringing the ball out of defence and playing brilliant 60 yard cross-field balls up the pitch he's incredible. I think those days are past him now but I hope he gets remembered as more than just a joke when he finally hangs up his massive hair.
    That’s fair enough, but my Nan could probably get a winners medal in France playing for PSG
  • At least he was strong enough to come out and do the interview after and admit the mistake. Far too many players would just hide away and hope things die down
  • edited June 2020
  • Yeah, he’s had some good games. But he’ll be remembered for his failures more than his successes because
    1) Too often he was directly responsible for those failures. and
    2) Even when he wasn’t the biggest culprit, he was the most obvious culprit. Best example of this:
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀
  • Yeah, he’s had some good games. But he’ll be remembered for his failures more than his successes because
    2) Even when he wasn’t the biggest culprit, he was the most obvious culprit. Best example of this:
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀
    I think he was the biggest culprit then though.  Went walk about so often leaving Dante about 3 on 1 every time.
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀
    I think he was the biggest culprit then though.  Went walk about so often leaving Dante about 3 on 1 every time.
    I was being a little diplomatic as the entire team played like strangers that day. My memory is of Marcelo being absolutely atrocious and Dante being a waste of space. Luiz was dreadful too, but that result wasn’t all about him.
    It was like the whole team was trying to outshit each other.

My favourite non-England related international football result of all time. 😎
  • edited June 2020
    Yeah, he’s had some good games. But he’ll be remembered for his failures more than his successes because
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀
    I was being a little diplomatic as the entire team played like strangers that day. My memory is of Marcelo being absolutely atrocious and Dante being a waste of space. Luiz was dreadful too, but that result wasn’t all about him.

I remember Germany scoring faster than we could comment on here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It was amazing to watch that 7-1..

To think Germany basically eased up in the second half too.
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀

Weirdly, I just rewatched that match on Tuesday. Luiz was ridiculous once they started losing, trying to get them back into the game through 60 yard sprints and shots from the back. Awful. Just like Gerrard after his slip against Chelsea where every time he got the ball he shot no matter where he was because he just HAD to be the one who fixed it. You're right though, Marcelo was the worst culprit by some distance. He was putting 8 yard passes behind his man, was lucky he didn't get about 7 yellows and sent some shots out for throw ins. Every player except possibly Oscar (who was still shit) looked like they'd agreed to all reduce themselves to the level of Fred just to make him feel better about his role
  • There's something about Marcelo that has always made me want to punch him. 
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀

Really? I mean I'm no lover of Brazil but does anyone enjoy Germany run riot like that? Jesus
    Brazil 1-7 Germany. 
    At home. 
    In the World Cup.

😀

Really? I mean I'm no lover of Brazil but does anyone enjoy Germany run riot like that? Jesus
    Yes, really. 
    It wasn’t about Germany winning, it was about Brazil losing. 
    It would have been even better if it wasn’t a country like Germany that wins so much already that did it, maybe like Holland or Belgium. But it was glorious to watch Brazil get there arses handed to them so publically and in there own backyard to boot. 
    The obsession so many people have with them drives me potty. Yes they’re decent and often do well in the World Cup, but they’re not entitled to just walk over everyone - there’s an attitude of entitlement that’s not attractive. 
    Germany gave them a lesson and rubbed their noses in it, and it was glorious.
  • I'd have Luiz here on £5k a week. 

He's reliable in that you know he'll be completely unreliable. 
  • Signed a one year extension to his contract.
    🤪

Arsenal's defensive woes continue for one more year. 
  • Not to mention signing Cedric Soares up for another year even though he's been injured the whole time and never kicked a ball for Arsenal.

Luiz works well in a back 3 as you can have 2 "conventional" CBs as the markers leaving him with a libero roll for which he is well suited.

Or play him in midfield as a deep playmaker. 

But never in a back 4 as a CB...