Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Daniel Morgan - Murder In The Car Park

edited June 2020 in Not Sports Related
Daniel Morgan was a "private investigator" in south London.  He was investigating corruption in the Met and amongst journalists at the News of the World when  he was found, murdered, in the car park of a pub in Sydenham, in March 1987.  

I know that @Bedsaddick @Charltonparklane and @kigelia (and many others) all enjoyed Peter Jukes' podcast, The Untold, about Morgan, his murder and the strange, deeply disturbing evidence that has been trawled through in the years since then.  So they all might be interested to know there's a multi-part docudrama starting tonight on C4. 

If it's anywhere near as good as Jukes' work, it will be fascinating. 

Comments

• edited June 2020
    Edit: Murder in the car park -9pm
  • @chizz having a holocaust denier as your profile pic isnt a good look
  • Yes, I'll be watching I remember it well. 
  • I remember the podcast - will definitely be watching. 
  • We drove past the pub that night coming home from the Full members semi v Norwich, and saw a load of police vans etc, we thought it was just another lively night in Sydenham. Of course, the next day it turned out to be rather more horrific than that.  
  • I shall be watching. I've been keeping tabs on the investigation for years now. 

• I often used to bump into Daniel's son in what is now the White Horse in Beckenham. 
  • Thanks for the advance warning. Will watch this. It’s a strange story where I get the impression that everyone involved knows who did it and why and there is pretty much zero chance of any successful prosecution ever happening.
  • Loved the podcast and will be watching tonight. 
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a really good watch

I've read on Wiki about those arrested - Is there ever an opinion as to who they suspected as the murderer and has effectively gotten away with it
  • Excellent TV.

It very vaguely rings a bell but I didn't know any of the detail.

Look forward to the next episode.
  • Excellent TV.

I turned off before it was mentioned, when is the next episode?

Dunno what it is but just dont like something about Rees | Vein | Fillery - Might be because I've read about the further inquries that have happened over the years with there being a lot of focus on them, it almost feels as though it was them that did it, yet there just isnt enough evidence (whether thats the Met wanting it used, or whether it exists) to take them down
  • Gutted I missed this, will be catching up tomorrow for sure.
  • edited June 2020
    I didn't watch it, but know that the Morgan case is a fascinating mystery.

Another intriguing major crime of that era, with strong links to south-east London, was the Brink's-Mat robbery at Heathrow in 1983. A gang commanded by a bloke who lived in a council flat in Ilderton Road - next to the Millwall ground - netted £26 million in gold bars, a UK record at the time.

Some, but by no means all, of the gold was recovered; several of those involved were convicted.  Yet apparent infighting over the spoils has led to many of the gang being murdered, including John 'Goldfinger' Palmer, who was instrumental in melting down the gold and was shot dead in an unsolved murder in 2015.  Altogether a fascinating case; several racy books have been written about it.
  • Didnt know anything about the case & didn't see this thread until having just watched the programme tonight.

No idea who was responsible but Rees & Fillery look very dodgy to me. At the very least it was a conflict of interest Filery taking the statement from Rees the next day & although they tried to muddy the waters over their conection that was brought up at the Inquest, what did we learn at the very end of the programme.....that Fillery did join Rees at his Detective Agency after all. 

Definitely also think that Rees had a hand in the missing money from the car auction.....or was it just a coincidence that the day they couldnt bank the takings Ress was mugged. 

Theres nothing like a bent copper.

• edited June 2020
    Excellent TV.

I turned off before it was mentioned, when is the next episode?

Dunno what it is but just dont like something about Rees | Vein | Fillery - Might be because I've read about the further inquries that have happened over the years with there being a lot of focus on them, it almost feels as though it was them that did it, yet there just isnt enough evidence (whether thats the Met wanting it used, or whether it exists) to take them down
    Next Monday at 9. Then 3rd and final episode the Monday after.

but all 3 episodes are available now online on channel 4’s iplayer equivalent.
  • Didnt know anything about the case & didn't see this thread until having just watched the programme tonight.

No idea who was responsible but Rees & Fillery look very dodgy to me. At the very least it was a conflict of interest Filery taking the statement from Rees the next day & although they tried to muddy the waters over their conection that was brought up at the Inquest, what did we learn at the very end of the programme.....that Fillery did join Rees at his Detective Agency after all. 

Definitely also think that Rees had a hand in the missing money from the car auction.....or was it just a coincidence that the day they couldnt bank the takings Ress was mugged. 

Theres nothing like a bent copper.

Bent coppers and Freemasons, Catford nick was full of them at that time.

The programme was good and i look forward to the next part but the acting in the reconstructions was shocking! I mean really bad that i kept chuckling

• Episodes 2 & 3 are on the next two Mondays but they are available already on All 4.
  • Does anyone know when the next episodes are due to be broadcast, or where they can be viewed beforehand? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Does anyone know when the next episodes are due to be broadcast, or where they can be viewed beforehand? 
    Oh I do apologise for missing the odd comment beforehand. 
  • Would recommend a book called untouchables that covers this incident and a few others where corrupt police were allegedly involved. 
  • I didn't watch it, but know that the Morgan case is a fascinating mystery.

Another intriguing major crime of that era, with strong links to south-east London, was the Brink's-Mat robbery at Heathrow in 1983. A gang commanded by a bloke who lived in a council flat in Ilderton Road - next to the Millwall ground - netted £26 million in gold bars, a UK record at the time.

Some, but by no means all, of the gold was recovered; several of those involved were convicted.  Yet apparent infighting over the spoils has led to many of the gang being murdered, including John 'Goldfinger' Palmer, who was instrumental in melting down the gold and was shot dead in an unsolved murder in 2015.  Altogether a fascinating case; several racy books have been written about it.
    and not forgetting Mr Noye
  • I watched on more four which didn't have subtitles. Made it very hard to follow for me.
    I thought the standard of performances was below expectations.
  • Could only find last night's episode on On Demand
  • I heard this had links to a well known gang in Canning Town? The 'long fella"
  • kigelia said:
    Would recommend a book called untouchables that covers this incident and a few others where corrupt police were allegedly involved. 
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Untouchables-Laurie-Flynn/9781448209033?ref=grid-view&qid=1592323419754&sr=1-1

out of stock atm
  • 2 episodes available via Virgin media.
    3 episodes on All4.com on laptop.
  • Fumbluff said:
    kigelia said:
    Would recommend a book called untouchables that covers this incident and a few others where corrupt police were allegedly involved. 
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Untouchables-Laurie-Flynn/9781448209033?ref=grid-view&qid=1592323419754&sr=1-1

out of stock atm
    I have it in ebook. Although even that seems unavailable as well.