Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mad Magazine

At the grand old age of 99, Mad's Al Jaffee is hanging up his pencil.

https://forward.com/culture/448517/mad-magazine-legend-al-jaffee-folds-it-in-at-99-check-out-his-last-fold-in/?fbclid=IwAR2dDOUGY8Keh-JaS039b2Y_2Z-ZzgdKATyyuokgN8hKNlvoZnOfIomCTEU

I remember a time as a young teenager in the seventies when it was essential reading at school. Of course there were references that we Brits had to guess at, and sometimes they lampooned movies that were not even released in the UK at that point. But it was a little bit of the USA that we could grab hold of instantly at a time and age when we thought the US was so cool. 

Let's hope Al has another ten years in which to enjoy his retirement...  :)      

Comments

• Didn't read it much.....more got it for the fold-in bits. Very clever. 
  • Loved Mad. 
  • edited June 2020
    Didn't read it much.....more got it for the fold-in bits. Very clever. 
    Al Jaffee was the man who drew the fold ins, Golfie.  :)  
  • I have never heard of it !!!
    Must have completely passed me by
  • Loved Mad in its day, though didn't realise it was still going strong.

• MrOneLung said:
    I have never heard of it !!!
    Don't forget I was bought up in Biggleswade - this was excitement for us...  :D  
  • When I saw the heading I thought it was referring to the CAFC programme.
  • MrOneLung said:
    only know about it from American TV shows referring to it. didn't even know they sold it over here. 
  • edited June 2020
    Used to love Mad. I had the books and everything. I remember having an issue with a flexi-disc record too. I may remember the song later. It was a spoof disco song. Oh, it was called 'Making Out.' 'I tell myself I could be should be making out. And if all you're making out from all this making out, is that everyone's making out, but meeee.' Yeah, not hilarious, but very much of it's time.

But, yeah, some of the topical US references were a bit above my head. I remember a spoof on joggers done as a poem and it had the line, 'I can see his Pro-Keds clearly...' I knew they were trainers but I thought what sort of brand is that? Now I know that in US in the Seventies the two affordable brands were either Chuck Taylor Converse or Pro-Keds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    Loved MAD back in the day, nowadays Alfred E. Neuman would be running for President...or linked with owning Charlton.
  • Another MAD lover here. Got every issue for a few years in the 70s.

Always loved the fold-ins, Spy vs Spy and TV and movie parodies, even if some of it went over my head.
  • Often a work of genius, I too loved Spy vs Spy, used to buy it infrequently, as (being an import) it wasn't cheap or easy to find out in the sticks. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Don't forget I was bought up in Biggleswade - this was excitement for us...  :D  
    It’s all happening in Biggleswade at the moment . It’s the place to be !