Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite / Worst Smells?

Moving on from the Whole Hog thread and discussion of what cooking smells people love or struggle with I thought I'd throw out the question about what makes your nose happy or very sad?

What is your favourite smell?
And
What is your worst smell? 

Mine are the smell of freah rain on grass etc
And
Fox shit (on the dog - in the back of the car)

Comments

• Best smell probably fresh mown grass, or sea air
    worst by a very long way (pure) ammonia
  • Best - food - bacon frying, or freshly baked bread. Other - coal tar.

Worst - when the farmer muck spreads the fields around my house! Usually reserved for a hot and sunny bank holiday!
  • Favourite- petrol
    worst - baby sick 
  • bobmunro said:
    Best - food - bacon frying, or freshly baked bread. Other - coal tar.

Worst - when the farmer muck spreads the fields around my house! Usually reserved for a hot and sunny bank holiday!
    Fyi hat’s mix containing pure Ammonia normally
  • Cant beat the smell of freshly baked bread. Love driving past the hovis factory up by north heath.

As much as I love cheese, walking into or past a cheese shop makes me gag.
  • Best - freshly baked bread
    Worst - freshly baked bread when I was working might shifts unloading lorries next to a bakery. Never been hungrier. Also, cat poo, which I discovered unleashes it's full potential when stepped on with bare feet. And Durian fruit
  • Best: Freshly cut grass

Worst: any cooked fish, vile.

• I've got a very strong sense of smell, often detect things that my wife & daughter can't. Probably compensation for terrible hearing.

Best - The smell of Castrol R as a grid of classics accelerate away from a starting grid. Freshly mown grass, a lit BBQ & cooking bacon.

Worst - Dog or cat shit. Could never own a dog as there's no way I could pick up it's crap without being sick. Hypoid gear oil has an awful sulphur like odour. I always manage to get it all over me when changing the oil in my diff.

• Best: Love the smell after it has rained on a hot day, also love the smell of petrol

Worst: The flowers that smell like cat piss (Valerian?) and the smell of sick is enough to make me sick
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah summer rain is a good shout Pelling. 

Although I’d go for the smell of a Christmas cracker after it’s been pulled (or a party popper/ cap gun).  

Worst: my old house mate used to microwave Admiral’s Pie for dinner. It’s one of the many reasons I hated that housemate.  
  • Best - rain when it hits hot tarmac, closely followed by mown grass, aviation fuel and personal farts.
    Worst - Other peoples sick
  • Best Grass & Fresh baked bread.
    worst walking past a Lush Soap store.
  • An early morning dewey field in the countryside, with fresh air next to some pretty woodland. That start of the day smell you might experience when camping.
    I agree doggie doings on your shoe when you get in the car is rank.
  • Best- The glue they use in the shoe menders and Tar they  used to mend the roads back in the 70`s

Worst - The smell of Parma Violets , just makes me want to gag 
  • Worst smell is bullshit. Unfortunately being a Charlton fan that smell is everywhere lately 
  • Used to love the smell in the air at a speedway track.

Stale piss in a men's public toilet is not a favourite.

• One of the worst smells used to come from the factory's in lower Charlton, always used to be at its worst about 4pm on a sunday, especially in the summer.

Made Charlton Park stink. 

This is going back 35 years though mind. 
  • Macronate said:

Used to love the smell in the air at a speedway track.

Stale piss in a men's public toilet is not a favourite.

You probably ought to stop hanging around in them to be honest.
  • Best - 2 stroke engines, petrol, fresh cut grass, rain, barbecues, fireworks, pub smell, deep heat, hemp hand cream, conifer trees, fried garlic, bacon frying, roast beef cooking. Football smell, a mixture of cigarette smoke, burgers, horse shit, cut grass and deep heat

Worst - cat urine, fox shit, other peoples shit, bad breath, ammonia, tar, burnt out clutches, burning rubber, bonfires, slurry, train smell, gloss paint, rotting chicken, burned plastic. 

A new one, wheel cleaner. The ones that react to brake dust and grime. Dragons blood, trolls breath that type of thing. They stink 
  • Sponsored links:

• Best - Tom Ford aftershave. I dunno what he puts in it but I could eat myself when I put it on.

Worst - Gone off milk. That shit stays in your nostrils for days.
  • fadgadget said:
    Best- The glue they use in the shoe menders and Tar they  used to mend the roads back in the 70`s

Worst - The smell of Parma Violets , just makes me want to gag 
    Love Palma Violets, probably my favourite sweet.
  • Lost my sense of smell years ago. This thread is discriminatory 😡
  • Best - freshly baked bread
    Worst  - rotting dear carcass after road kill 
  • A shout out for the smell of a bumper car/dodgems rink.
  • Best - Tom Ford aftershave. I dunno what he puts in it but I could eat myself when I put it on.

Worst - Gone off milk. That shit stays in your nostrils for days.
    Tried Soya?
    Tip: By mouth. Not nose.

Taste is somewhere between 70-90% smell.

Try tasting something whilst pinching your nose closed - it will be, to all intents and purposes, tasteless.