Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London (Inner City) Wildlife

Thought it would be another positive thread to keep the collective pecker up.

Any one interested, or with stories / photos of unusual wild life in London or other inner city areas?

Brother see this Black Capuchin Pigeon in Charlton Park today -

Comments

• Very fancy! 

I've been hearing chiffchaffs in Maryon Park (I mean, I've been there twice in the last month, but both times I've heard them)

• This was a Buzzard spotted over Eltham being attacked by crows

The old buzzards and carrion love a good punch-up with each other
  • Thought it would be another positive thread to keep the collective pecker up.

Any one interested, or with stories / photos of unusual wild life in London or other inner city areas?

Are they a wild species or an ornamental man made variety ......I’m guessing so?
    Do they actually breed and flourish in The UK, I have never heard of them, let alone seen one?
  • Thought it would be another positive thread to keep the collective pecker up.

Are they a wild species or an ornamental man made variety ......I’m guessing so?
    Do they actually breed and flourish in The UK, I have never heard of them, let alone seen one?
    That's got to be an escapee, surely. 
  • Just Googled this.....They are quite a rare fancy variety originating from The Netherlands.
    They cannot be found anywhere breeding in the wild therefore a captive species.
    As Uboat says, that one must be an escapee.
  • Yeah, escaped from a private collection I reckon mate.

Used to be a couple of blokes around Charlton who kept pigeons for racing etc. 

I worked for a courier firm down by the Barrier once and was asked to go to the top of Charlton Lane (Just over from Charlton Park) to "collect a pigeon" and take it to another one of our offices in Hartfordshire (I think). We had a bit of a laugh in the office and off I set to collect this pigeon, expecting it to be some sort of cardboard cut out or whatever. Anyway, knocks on the door and a bloke answers with a purpose made box to end up in Sheffield. Apparently, they post em to eachother to be released and timed as part of their training.

Also sure there also used to be a group of pigeon fanciers meet in the Lib with their machines to compare times
  • Plenty of inner city wildlife to be seen in S.E.16

• If it's wild non-escaped doves you want, this collared pair were recently in our garden
  • Sponsored links:

See buzzards pretty much everyday flying over where I live, and the last couple of days there has been a pair circling much lower than normal. Love seeing the crows buzzing them to protect their nests.
  • I have a big hedge and lots of feeders so get plenty of birds in my garden, including great tits and blue tits. There are a pair of collared doves that live nearby and visit every day, one has a damaged neck so easily recognisable. I occasionally see the parakeets that live near Darent Valley Hospital. Plenty of magpies around at the moment, usually waking me up at 5am with their racket, but they don't come into my garden, just annoy me from a distance! 

Last week I spotted a bat flying up and down the garden catching insects but this is the first time I've seen one here and haven't spotted it since. 

Other than that it's just foxes crapping on the lawn! 
  • Leuth said:

If it's wild non-escaped doves you want, this collared pair were recently in our garden
    Probably waiting for you to fill up the empty feeders! 
  • I was in the Pret in Eastcheap a while ago when I saw a fox run down Idol Lane. I think he must've lived in the church garden of St Dunstan's in the East ... unless he used to commute in of course :neutral: .  Either way he was a healthy, fine looking fellow with bushy tail.
  • Wilma said:
    I have a big hedge and lots of feeders so get plenty of birds in my garden, including great tits and blue tits. There are a pair of collared doves that live nearby and visit every day, one has a damaged neck so easily recognisable. I occasionally see the parakeets that live near Darent Valley Hospital. Plenty of magpies around at the moment, usually waking me up at 5am with their racket, but they don't come into my garden, just annoy me from a distance! 

Last week I spotted a bat flying up and down the garden catching insects but this is the first time I've seen one here and haven't spotted it since. 

Other than that it's just foxes crapping on the lawn! 
    You can never grow tired of viewing great tits in all their glory.
  • Strange Raith, a Goldcrest flew into our house yesterday and stunned himself bouncing off the living room window. I picked him up and took him back out and he flew off unperturbed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:
    We get red kites flying over Barnet these days. Unimaginable a decade ago. 
    That's brilliant. They've been so successful since being reintroduced to the Chilterns not that long ago, but I never realised that had reached the edge of London now
  • edited May 2020
    Saw a crow stabbing the shit out of another bird on Wandsworth common yesterday. Like pinned it down and repeatedly pecked for about 4 minutes to make sure the other bird was dead. Before seeing that I kept hearing what sounded like a bird calling in panic. Fucking nuts. Nature, you scary. 
  • Not inner city but my daughter who lives in Hextable was surprised by a visit from a badger. Picked up on security camera.
  • Our pond also attracts loads of dragonflies
  • Uboat said:
    We get red kites flying over Barnet these days. Unimaginable a decade ago. 
    Red Kites are surely the feelgood story of the new millennium.  It's amazing to think that none of our kites are real native-natives but the descendants of European imports.