Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Premier League Days

Just seen a good article on the TalkSport website about the seasons we spent in the Premier League. Makes you realise even more just how things have deteriorated and how far we have fallen.

Comments

• That run of London derby wins. 
    Priceless. 
  • Dennis in the last minute at Palace being the most enjoyable.
  • Lisbie at Chelsea was pretty good as well. 
  • The only regret about the Premier League for me is that we never beat Man Utd. The only team we never beat!
  • Dennis in the last minute at Palace being the most enjoyable.
    Was probably the most mental celebrations after Wembley last season.
  • Does slightly annoy me when you hear journalist describing Charlton as a team we remember in the premier league. Always feel like it a lazy uninformed comment.We’ve been gone for almost 15 years. 

I’m 27 and seen 6 years of league 1 football. I hope one day we will get back to the top flight and I won’t take it for it granted this time around. 

Haven’t seen us win a London Derby away in the championship since Todorov was scoring winners for us. Couldn’t imagine what is like winning away in the top flight.
  • Ross said:
    The only regret about the Premier League for me is that we never beat Man Utd. The only team we never beat!
    And Curbs then went and beat them in his first game for West Ham!

Still, I'm not complaining. Regular wins over Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool, any trip to White Hart Lane was at least a draw but usually a win, we picked up a few results from Arsenal despite their lofty status, Millwall were a lower league team that we occasionally played in pre-season. Great times.
  • edited May 2020
    MrLargo said:
    Ross said:
    The only regret about the Premier League for me is that we never beat Man Utd. The only team we never beat!

Still, I'm not complaining. Regular wins over Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool, any trip to White Hart Lane was at least a draw but usually a win, we picked up a few results from Arsenal despite their lofty status, Millwall were a lower league team that we occasionally played in pre-season. Great times.
    MrLargo said:
    Ross said:

Still, I'm not complaining. Regular wins over Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool, any trip to White Hart Lane was at least a draw but usually a win, we picked up a few results from Arsenal despite their lofty status, Millwall were a lower league team that we occasionally played in pre-season. Great
  • E_cafc said:
    Lisbie at Chelsea was pretty good as well. 
    The smallest fella on the pitch wins it with a late header. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    Best them in Selhurst days home and away. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Ross said:
    I remember that at Sh@thurst, didn't we win 2-0 and Paul Williams got one?🤔😁
  • MrOneLung said:
    Ross said:

April '88?
  • MrLargo said:
    Ross said:

And we still didn’t beat them🙄
  • We beat them 4.1 down there in a friendly I recall.  
  • E_cafc said:
    Lisbie at Chelsea was pretty good as well. 
    The smallest fella on the pitch wins it with a late header. 
    And that was after he had tripped himself up to win a free kick. The defender never touched him. But did we care........
  • edited May 2020
    Hahaha that's true,  never a free kick. 
  • I met my Chelsea mate after the game, he was not impressed little old Charlton beat them.
    He lived in Dartford and was not a fan of us, apparantly not having 40k inside a football ground meant we were not suitable for Premier League football.
  • That night was when Jorge Costa came on as sub for his debut as well.  What a privilege it was to have him with us for that loan spell . 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Ross said:

April '88?
    Sounds like it....I know I was just about to leave secondary school. Hated going to that sh#thole..........and school too.😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Our problems now ,date back to the premiership days, when Murray et.al should have sold the club to a wealthy individual or consortium who could afford to run a premiership club. I remember the conversations of the time which went on about how we were a family club and not sell to a Abromavich type owner as it would break the link.
    The season after we reached 9th in the league would have been a good time to sell to some billionaire, at that  time there was a lot of interest in the premiership by foreign owners.
    Murray et .al did not have the resources to keep up with the exploding costs of the premiership, as shown by relegation.
    Now it will be a miracle to find a new owner who has the money to keep us in the EFL leagues and will be willing to spend it.
    I think we are a lesson to any small club that makes it into the top flight against the odds, find a new billionaire owner as soon as possible while in the top league. 
  • we finished 7th the year we sold Parker in 03/04. Just 3 pts off a UEFA spot