Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil May, The Pretty Things (RIP)

Just saw the singer from rock classics The Pretty Things (and Dartford boy) Phil May has died following a fall. Sad news and RIP.

Comments

• Sad news. Pretty Things drummer Twink was also a Pink Fairy.
    RIP Phil May, a musician from an era and culture I remember with affection.
  • Loved the Pretty Things.

Thought that SF Sorrow was one of the best albums of the 60s.

Sad day.
  • SF sorrow was reputed to be the first concept album. Saw the boys at the 100 club. Great night.
  • He was in lockdown with his family and had a fall from a bike and done his hip. Died from complications during op. So sad. Rip 
  • Very sad news. RIP
  • a friend of a friend .. genuine old time rocker and influential in his day .. R I P
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2020
    My Uncle, Peter Kitley, was I believe one of the early members on the drums? Would be early to mid 60s. My Dad has told me about it. He passed away a few years ago so can’t ask him. Would love to know if anybody may have seen them with him playing.

Edit - The bands debut single.... Rosalyn.

My uncles girlfriend when he was in the band - my Auntie Ros. She was the lady behind the song.
  • RIP, I’m sure my uncle told me that that a couple of the band lived either in or off Fen Grove in Sidcup. I’d planned to go to their farewell concert at the o2 in 2018 but never got round to sorting tickets out. Really wished I had, Van Morrison and Dave Gilmour guested on the night.
  • Played at Granada Woolwich about 1964
  • My Uncle, Peter Kitley, was I believe one of the early members on the drums? Would be early to mid 60s. My Dad has told me about it. He passed away a few years ago so can’t ask him. Would love to know if anybody may have seen them with him playing.

My uncles girlfriend when he was in the band - my Auntie Ros. She was the lady behind the song.
    I know that this is going to sound slightly obscure but was your uncle Pete also an expert on Social Role Valorisation (working with adults with Learning Disabilities)?

I note from Wiki that there was another Pete in the band so might have the wrong one. I think he was married to, or with, somebody called Catriona though (It was 30+ years ago though).
  • My Uncle, Peter Kitley, was I believe one of the early members on the drums? Would be early to mid 60s. My Dad has told me about it. He passed away a few years ago so can’t ask him. Would love to know if anybody may have seen them with him playing.

I know that this is going to sound slightly obscure but was your uncle Pete also an expert on Social Role Valorisation (working with adults with Learning Disabilities)?

I note from Wiki that there was another Pete in the band so might have the wrong one. I think he was married to, or with, somebody called Catriona though (It was 30+ years ago though).

No that’s not him - so I would assume it will be the other one.

He was married to my aunt Ros (Rosalyn) for his entire life. And met when he was in the band... he had some amazing pictures that my cousin showed me after he died..... he knew Mick Jagger and the rest of the Stones well. 

No that’s not him - so I would assume it will be the other one.

He was married to my aunt Ros (Rosalyn) for his entire life. And met when he was in the band... he had some amazing pictures that my cousin showed me after he died..... he knew Mick Jagger and the rest of the Stones well. 
    Ta Damo, a long shot I know. I may well have got his partners name wrong though!

Incidentally I used to work with a poor little  rich girl from Chelsea who as a bit of a casualty of the sixties. She used to fairly regularly break down in tears thinking of Brian Jones who she said she had a bit of a thing with.
  • That is sad news. Dick Taylor lives on the Isle of Wight now (ex Sidcup boy) so we've been lucky enough to have quite a few Pretty Things gigs here in the last 20 years. Although they had officially retired, Phil May and Dick Taylor appeared as the Pretty Things with 2 local musicians (JC & Angelina Grimshaw) at the Million Dollar Bash last August. Phil looked unwell then, frail, but still belted out the songs. He had a bottle in one hand and his inhaler in the other!
  • Sponsored links:

• "He had a bottle in one hand and his inhaler in the other!"
    Wow!
    RIP