Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

15th May, 2005. | Charlton Athletic 2-2 Crystal Palace

Ten years ago today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4525099.stm
Charlton: Kiely, Young, El Karkouri, Fortune, Konchesky, Kishishev, Johansson, Holland (Thomas 67), Murphy (Sam 76), Hughes, Bartlett (Rommedahl 79).
Subs Not Used: Perry, Andersen.

Booked: Konchesky, Fortune.

Goals: Hughes 30, Fortune 82.

Crystal Palace: Kiraly, Butterfield (Freedman 56), Hall, Popovic, Granville, Leigertwood, Soares (Powell 86), Watson (Riihilahti 89), Hughes, Routledge, Johnson.
Subs Not Used: Speroni, Ventola.

Booked: Soares, Johnson.

Goals: Freedman 58, Johnson 71 pen.

Att: 26,870.

Ref: M Clattenburg (Co Durham).

Comments

• Sha la la la la la la.
  • This game makes up for any hardship we suffer in a relegation.
  • 10 years ago. Bloody hell.
  • edited May 2015

I'm not ashamed to say one of my happiest football related memories - and we didn't even win!
    For me, it finally put to rest the memories of "groundshare" and all the other Palace related shite over the years.
    What's more, our Shalala's really got under Jordan's skin. Haha
    I swear to God the whole ground was singing it.

Great day, think only 3 of the 4 sides of the ground were singing it.
  • I'm not ashamed to say one of my happiest football related memories - and we didn't even win!
    For me, it finally put to rest the memories of "groundshare" and all the other Palace related shite over the years.
    What's more, our Shalala's really got under Jordan's skin. Haha
    I swear to God the whole ground was singing it.

Great day, think only 3 of the 4 sides of the ground ere singing it.
    Haha (aah ya know what I meant:-)
  • In the long term this game bit us on the arse, with the appointment of Dowie 14 months later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's remember the positives. Murray was stupid with the Dowie appointment but this was a great day.

In those days I would normally get the bus to Woolwich,but as childish as it seems I decided to travel by train so I could watch the Palace fans on the other side of the Station.
  • 10 years ago.............., well you can all fck off, this has pissed me right off.

Where does the time go
  • Ross_cafc said:

It turns out that I sacrificed a place at medical school for this game - should have spent the day revising, went to the game instead and just missed out on my grades - all down to the specific exam the next day!

Yeh Ross but... "SHA LA LA, LA LA LA LA LAH..."
  • edited May 2015

Ross_cafc said:

It turns out that I sacrificed a place at medical school for this game - should have spent the day revising, went to the game instead and just missed out on my grades - all down to the specific exam the next day!

Yeh Ross but... "SHA LA LA, LA LA LA LA LAH..."
    Haha! Exactly! Although for a little while after, their retort of 'who the f**k is laughing now' felt particularly personal!
  • The local plod were my friend that day. 3 of us left right on full time and about 15-20 Nigels had a pop at the top of Floyd Rd. thought we were going to get a slap so decided to go down "fighting" mate chinned the closest one and I managed a boot in the ribs as he went down. His mates weren't happy and it was looking bad until mr plod arrived on a horse and belted 2-3 of them with a stick. Funnily enough the others bolted.
  • Bloody hell was it really 10 years ago?
  • I felt sick when we were losing. Almost as if we were getting relegated.
  • Fifteen years ago today.
  • What's even the point of having relegated Palace any more, look at them now and look at us now. We should have lost, kept them up and then the butterfly effect wouldn't have played it out like this, the Worst Possible Timeline
  • Sponsored links:

• Quite possibly the most enjoyable game I've ever had as a Charlton fan as there was a great prize at stake, but at the same time if Palace had stayed up, there were no real consequences for us either
  • edited May 2020
    Quite possibly the most enjoyable game I've ever had as a Charlton fan as there was a great prize at stake, but at the same time if Palace had stayed up, there were no real consequences for us either
    I played Amarilo for days after.

"Sha la la la"

This day was what dreams were made of.
  • Leuth said:
    What's even the point of having relegated Palace any more, look at them now and look at us now. We should have lost, kept them up and then the butterfly effect wouldn't have played it out like this, the Worst Possible Timeline
    Spot on.  Dowie would have stayed at Palace. We would have got someone else. A whole different parallel universe.
  • Leuth said:
    What's even the point of having relegated Palace any more, look at them now and look at us now. We should have lost, kept them up and then the butterfly effect wouldn't have played it out like this, the Worst Possible Timeline
    Spot on.  Dowie would have stayed at Palace. We would have got someone else. A whole different parallel universe.
    Ah, maybe. But would you still be trying to piss on peoples chips?

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88977/15-years-ago-today#latest
  • edited May 2020
    Leuth said:
    Dowie came to us 13/14 months later.
    However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season.  A dream for the rest of the country, although City did it{at Old Trafford} against United in '74.
    City fans will tell you @Leuth is wrong.

• Funnily it was featured on Match of Their Day tonight, well worth a watch, I'd forgotten how bonkers that afternoon was, with WBA coming from nowhere to survive!
  • Funnily it was featured on Match of Their Day tonight, well worth a watch, I'd forgotten how bonkers that afternoon was, with WBA coming from nowhere to survive!
    One of the reasons why PPG  should not decide any football season. 
  • Leuth said:
    Dowie came to us 13/14 months later.
    However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season.  A dream for the rest of the country, although City did it{at Old Trafford} against United in '74.
    City fans will tell you @Leuth is wrong.

Point of order, our biggest rivals are Millwall. Always have been, always will be. 

(I know the season isn't finished but I'm starting this perennial summer thread early)

:-) 

• However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season. 
    As Bournemouth says , point of order , no way can palace be our most hated rivals , they’re so far away from us.  Prolly takes as long to get to them as it does palace to get to Brighton and we take the piss out of that .
    although coming from Bromley , a palace area , is why some of these outside SE postcodes don’t understand that our one true rival is the scum .

• However, so f****** what, we relegated our most hated rivals at home on the last day of the season. 
    As Bournemouth says , point of order , no way can palace be our most hated rivals , they’re so far away from us.  Prolly takes as long to get to them as it does palace to get to Brighton and we take the piss out of that .
    although coming from Bromley , a palace area , is why some of these outside SE postcodes don’t understand that our one true rival is the scum .
    Indeed distance wise, West Ham are nearer to us that Palace (and a lot easier to get to by public transport too!)

Without the ground sharing years, the Palace rivalry would have stayed fairly minor you imagine, around the level of our rivalry with Gillingham or West Ham