Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Local Parks, Trails and Walks

edited February 2021 in Not Sports Related
Morning all,

In this Lockdown, both Danson Park and Shooters Hill/Sevendroog area have really come to my rescue for daily walks in spacious areas. 

Foots Cray Meadows looks pretty nice? Any others I may have missed in my local area?

Comments

• There's Eltham North Park and then Avery Hill Park further on as well if you're in the Sevendroog area. You can essentially chain all those walks together and as a local (I can see sevendroog from my house), it's pretty decent.
  • I am lucky enough to live on the Sidcup/New Eltham borders and have plenty of parks near me to have two different loops. 

First half of lock down was where I walk up sparrows lane into Avery Hill Park and the full loop round the outside of the park and back via the metrogas path. 

Then for the past 4 weeks I've been walking from my house - through The Goats Field, Willersley Park, Marlborough Park, Lamorbey Park, The Hollies and back home. it's just over 5k and the highlight is the Fishing Lake in Lamorbey Park where I often chat to the ducks, geese and squirrels.  

It's glorious and empty at 7am. 
  • If you want a big open area that's a lot quieter than Danson Park then you could try East Wickham open space in Welling/Plumstead. 

It's part of the Green Chain Walk. 
  • Bexley Rec, next to Dartford Rugby Club is good for a stroll and a sit down along the river there, and Hall Place Gardens, loads of space to walk and plenty of seats in the gardens themselves. (Assuming they are still open?).
  • edited May 2020
    East Wickham open space is ok, but we discovered Bexley Woods the other day, little gem tucked away there with the stream running through it
  • edited May 2020
    A trip to castle woods is ideal for dogging. 
  • I am lucky enough to live on the Sidcup/New Eltham borders and have plenty of parks near me to have two different loops. 

First half of lock down was where I walk up sparrows lane into Avery Hill Park and the full loop round the outside of the park and back via the metrogas path. 

Then for the past 4 weeks I've been walking from my house - through The Goats Field, Willersley Park, Marlborough Park, Lamorbey Park, The Hollies and back home. it's just over 5k and the highlight is the Fishing Lake in Lamorbey Park where I often chat to the ducks, geese and squirrels.  

You mention loops. 

I always walk in circles too.  I noticed in my 'lockdown' route that I naturally walk clockwise.  I tried anticlockwise one day but it didn't feel quite right. I even googled to see if there is a phenomenon surrounding this.  Turns out I'm a bit unusual as every major athletics stadium, race track, dog track or car race is set up to travel in a counterclockwise direction.  I s'pose that's because we can watch the competitors finish from left to right on the home straight.

I put my clockwise preference down to being a Charlton supporter. Being different to everybody else and going against the grain seems to come naturally to me ...  Jeez even baseball players run to their bases the wrong way round  :o       
  • A trip to castle woods is idea for dogging. 

Not lately.  Went there on Sunday night and there was hardly anyone about.

You mention loops. 

I always walk in circles too.  I noticed in my 'lockdown' route that I naturally walk clockwise.  I tried anticlockwise one day but it didn't feel quite right. I even googled to see if there is a phenomenon surrounding this.  Turns out I'm a bit unusual as every major athletics stadium, race track, dog track or car race is set up to travel in a counterclockwise direction.  I s'pose that's because we can watch the competitors finish from left to right on the home straight.

I put my clockwise preference down to being a Charlton supporter. Being different to everybody else and going against the grain seems to come naturally to me ...  Jeez even baseball players run to their bases the wrong way round  :o       
     I walk clockwise for both loops typically.  I was actually going to go out after logging off today and walk/run it anti clockwise to see if i notice anything different - I listen to podcasts as I'm walking but am more aware of what is around me, the sounds and how it changes on a daily basis.  It's my first day of double exercise outside since lock down began.  

Lamorbey Park??? Surely you mean The Glade
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2020
    A trip to castle woods is idea for dogging. 

Not lately.  Went there on Sunday night and there was hardly anyone about.
    You need to flash your headlights. I was there and desperate to try out my face mask with the mouth cut out. 

Lamorbey Park??? Surely you mean The Glade
    I wrote that originally and then thought those not in the know would think i meant Bromley shopping centre. 
  • East Wickham open space is ok, but we discovered Bexley Woods the other day, little gem tucked away there with the stream running through it
    I used to live near there and have happy memories of paddling in the stream, catching tiddlers under the bridges and making dams. Happy days.
  • edited May 2020
    I am lucky enough to live on the Sidcup/New Eltham borders and have plenty of parks near me to have two different loops. 

You mention loops. 

Didn't know you were from the good ol' goddam US of A ;)
  • edited May 2020
    Despite being suburbia we are blessed with such beautiful green space still (which makes council approvals to dig up parks for houses so annoying).

Oxleas Wood branching out to Eltham Park South, Avery Hill Park, Danson, Hall Place, The Glade, Footscray Meadows, all wonderful walking spots (and picnics when you can).

In the last week though we discovered Scadbury Park by the A20 just past Queen Mary’s on the other side of the A20. Live a mile way, yet had never even heard of it before. The most wonderful 3 mile wood land walk with set trails, fields with horses etc. Felt like you was 30 miles out in the deep countryside. 
  • I’ve had my outing! When we’ve been out for walks to parks during this we take the kids out early (8am) to try and beat the wallies, been successful so far you just have to deal with the joggers and dog walkers that think it’s all for them. 
  • Footscray meadows has just been mentioned. I'm lucky enough to live just a 3 minute walk from it, at Sidcup.
    Most days I walk the dog there and the place never fails to lift my spirits.

My walks often end up at, what's known as, the penny farthing bridge. From the bridge I once saw a massive pike, estimated two and a half feet long.
    I know, sounds like a fishy story.
    Sadly my dogs arthritis means he doesn't want to walk that far very often.
  • Despite being suburbia we are blessed with such beautiful green space still (which makes council approvals to dig up parks for houses so annoying).

Oxleas Wood branching out to Eltham Park South, Avery Hill Park, Danson, Hall Place, The Glade, Footscray Meadows, all wonderful walking spots (and picnics when you can).

In the last week though we discovered Scadbury Park by the A20 just past Queen Mary’s on the other side of the A20. Live a mile way, yet had never even heard of it before. The most wonderful 3 mile wood land walk with set trails, fields with horses etc. Felt like you was 30 miles out in the deep countryside. 
    Another endorsement for Scadbury Park here. Its amazing considering what's around it, that the moment you are within the park it feels like you could be deep out in the countryside.
  • Footscray meadows has just been mentioned. I'm lucky enough to live just a 3 minute walk from it, at Sidcup.

My walks often end up at, what's known as, the penny farthing bridge. From the bridge I once saw a massive pike, estimated two and a half feet long.
    I love Footscray Meadows. Only went for the first time about two years ago despite living in the same borough virtually all my life
  • Sponsored links:

I love Footscray Meadows. Only went for the first time about two years ago despite living in the same borough virtually all my life

I've always known it as 5 Arches. We used to go there a lot as kids but haven't been there for years, despite living about a 15 minute walk away.
  • Despite being suburbia we are blessed with such beautiful green space still (which makes council approvals to dig up parks for houses so annoying).

Scadbury connects to Petts Wood, Hawkswood, St Pauls Cray Common and Chislehurst (and then Elmstead Woods if you want!)

I think there's something like 500 acres in total and can take you hours to do the lot.

I'd say give me a shout next time but not much point at the moment!
  • Great tips guys. Foots Cray Meadows looks good...although it's 2 entrances looked to be closed on Sunday. Will try again with eyes open :)
  • Joydens Wood is pretty magical. So easy to get lost if you decide to veer off the marked routes and go exploring. Very peaceful indeed
  • Really getting to realise how restricted mobility cuts down on life quality.  My Mum can only get about in a wheelchair and the roads and pavements (and hills) are so bad round here (Alexandria, Scotland) we basically can take only one route and our choice is clockwise or anti-clockwise.  However, that daily walk does take in the River Leven and (on a good day which, to be fair, has been pretty much every day since lockdown) a stunning view over Ben Lomond. :)
  • I used to call it 5 Arches after the 5 arches on the bridge.

Scadbury connects to Petts Wood, Hawkswood, St Pauls Cray Common and Chislehurst (and then Elmstead Woods if you want!)

I think there's something like 500 acres in total and can take you hours to do the lot.

I'd say give me a shout next time but not much point at the moment!
    I'm literally a 4-5 min walk away from the entrance to Petts Wood on Birchwood Road.
    About 100 yards away from where I go in under the railway bridge, there's a Range Rover with the reg no AD11CKS.  No doubt whoever owns that Range must be on here lol.

Its a fantastic place on our doorstep to go take yourself away from the hustle and bustle of life.  I've been over there twice during the lockdown and we found there were far too many people on the paths which made social distancing a problem, especially on some of the narrow paths so we've decided to stay away until lockdown is over.  

• I was plotting a walk over to Petts wood through the woods from Scadbury a few weeks ago and then remembered the narrow paths at times down the side of the fields and thought the fun would be taken out of the walk by the 2 metre navigation rule.  One for when it's raining I think in the proper walking boots when it'll be quieter. 

Going to do the shuttle river walk to Bexley Village this weekend I think and might head into Hall Place and loop round. 

• Went for a very long walk on Saturday and ended up at East Wickham Open Space - you'd think from the name that it was some dog-shit green on an estate, but it's superb. I need to explore it properly one day. (Would make a good parkrun, I reckon, saw it'd been marked out as a running route.) Got lost in Shrewsbury Park/ Dothill on the way, walked back through Oxleas Woods which I haven't done in years.

EWOS is know as Fanny on the hill.