Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• It's really encouraging to read thoughtful considered comments from a professional player.

"Fans often worry just how committed a loan player is to his temporary club. While this is a valid concern, my personal experiences as a loan player and also my observations of the loan players I have worked with leads me to suggest that lack of commitment in these circumstances is very rare. There are a number of reasons for this, including the desire to regain match fitness after injury and, of course, to show what you are capable of to your parent club and those who might be interested in giving you another permanent football home.

The bottom line is that it is essential for every player to give 100%, regardless of who he is playing for. One thing I have learned in 13 years of professional football is that someone is always watching you and if your commitment to a game of football is not what it should be, it will be noticed, be it by fans, managers or other players."

One point of view from inside football. It may not apply to every player but some of these boys are fighting for new contracts and are desperate to prove themselves.

It would be interesting though, to learn how our loanees this season were received by the permanent contract players, from the inside perspective?
  • The worst example I've seen in an Addicks shirt was Carlton (I'm too good for this place) Cole.
  • At the Bromley Addicks meeting early in the season Robbie Elliot and Scott Wagstaff (who have both been out on loan) said pretty much the same thing about themselves and loanees then at the Club. Scott was keen to go out on loan again and said that he advised the other younger players to do so. Robbie felt that his loan at Accrington helped him mature both as a player and a young man out on his own for the first time.

I would guess that the biggest factor is the individual. Robbie and Scott maybe hard working and keen to impress while others may be less so. Yes, I'm talking about you Lee Cook! : - 0
  • Interesting insight on 2 of our ambitious youngsters desperate to prove themselves, Henry.

But my finishing question was, what was the reaction of permanent contract players' response to loanees coming in (and perhaps taking their places) ....?

How were the loanees received by the playing staff inside the club and the Charlton players' perspective of their impact?
    Does anyone know?
  • he is right and something i always thought

So why does it not happen at ours?
  • We've got far more out of the loan system when it comes to sending young players out on loan than we have bringing players in. Even when we've brought young players in, it hasn't worked out (Scott Sinclair, Carlton Cole etc).

It helped Wagstaff and Elliot, same can be said about Josh Wright, Darren Randolph, Grant Basey, Rashid Yussuff etc.

• Agree, decent posts from a footballer, who despite great connections, has worked hard to make a career out of the game.
  • edited January 2009
    The bottom line is that it is essential for every player to give 100%, regardless of who he is playing for. One thing I have learned in 13 years of professional football is thatsomeone is always watching you and if your commitment to a game of football is not what it should be, it will be noticed, be it by fans, managers or other players."[/i]

One point of view from inside football. It may not apply to every player but some of these boys are fighting for new contracts and are desperate to prove themselves.

It would be interesting though, to learn how our loanees this season were received by the permanent contract players, from the inside perspective?[/quote]

Then having noticed that a player hasn't given 100% he will still be signed by some other mug club anyway ad infinitum eg Marcus Bent (on his way again).
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We've got far more out of the loan system when it comes to sending young players out on loan than we have bringing players in. Even when we've brought young players in, it hasn't worked out (Scott Sinclair, Carlton Cole etc).

It helped Wagstaff and Elliot, same can be said about Josh Wright, Darren Randolph, Grant Basey, Rashid Yussuff etc.

Very true.
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Interesting insight on 2 of our ambitious youngsters desperate to prove themselves, Henry.

But my finishing question was, what was the reaction of permanent contract players' response to loanees coming in (and perhaps taking their places) ....?

How were the loanees received by the playing staff inside the club and the Charlton players' perspective of their impact?
    Does anyone know?

as I said - turn of that Reggie music and pay attention Oggy ; - ) - Robbie and/or Scott (can't recall which one) said that it was the same for the players coming into CAFC on loan re-impressing our boss, their parent club's boss or any other bosses watching. Waggy said that loan players are watched at most games by their own team so are in the spotlight. Kins had been down to watch him at Bournemouth I think.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]At the Bromley Addicks meeting early in the season Robbie Elliot and Scott Wagstaff (who have both been out on loan) said pretty much the same thing about themselves and loanees then at the Club. Scott was keen to go out on loan again and said that he advised the other younger players to do so. Robbie felt that his loan at Accrington helped him mature both as a player and a young man out on his own for the first time.

Different situation though. They are in reference to kids that go out on loan and get their first taste of being an involved part of a first-team squad. To them, its a big learning experience.

We've only really had Waghorn in that category in the last 18 months. All the others have come to us with different individual motives and experiences.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]At the Bromley Addicks meeting early in the season Robbie Elliot and Scott Wagstaff (who have both been out on loan) said pretty much the same thing about themselves and loanees then at the Club. Scott was keen to go out on loan again and said that he advised the other younger players to do so. Robbie felt that his loan at Accrington helped him mature both as a player and a young man out on his own for the first time.

Different situation though. They are in reference to kids that go out on loan and get their first taste of being an involved part of a first-team squad. To them, its a big learning experience.

We've only really had Waghorn in that category in the last 18 months. All the others have come to us with different individual motives and experiences.

I refer you to the answer I gave some minutes ago.

Agree, you expect a younger player to be busting a gut to impress and build a career but other, older players should have reasons to want to impress as well. You could argue that Bouazza's performances did more to get him a move to Premiership bound Brum than 6 months in Fulham reserves would have.

Maybe the problem with Loanees is not who they are or their contract status but how they are used and managed. So same as the other players really.
  • Why is it assumed that players who have secured (long) contracts are likely to commit more than loanees etc.

I seem to recall Keith Peacock saying that Lisbie got a good new contract after that hat trick against Liverpool and really didnt put in a decent performance (for us) after that.

I would have no problem with a team made up of the max number of loanees provided it won consistently.
  • "I got my reggae, in my Jeggae, man ...Ooh-hoo...hoo"
    Sh!t, I've been found out .... (!)

Thank you, Henry. ;o)

Interesting that loan players are trying to impress their old boss, rather than just their temporary one.
    Especially if they're being watched and assessed by their parent club..

So perhaps loan players have other concerns, rather than just trying to apathetically idle their time away....?

Right where was I ...? "Just a jammin', jammin in de name of de Lord, man"
  • edited January 2009
    Come on Oggy, lay off the 'erb ; - )