Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• Just finished it. Have to say not a patch on series one but very moving. I am no prude but the completely unnecessary usage of the C Word in the first two episodes were cringe worthy. 
    Agreed, I've never heard it so much for no reason at all.
  • really liked it, only gervais thing i cant stand is derek as i just dont find it funny. 
    Derek wasn't meant to be funny as far as I'm aware.
    Yes, there was occasional humour.
  • Glosfan said:
    Loved Series 1 and 2, the scene with the breast milk being used for rice pudding was one of the funniest scenes I've seen for years. Being both moving and funny it ticks lots of boxes, but I'm afraid I really struggle with the constant use of the C word. I suppose I'm just from a time when it was just a no no on any programme and it just seems so unnecessary. I also found the shrink painful this time, almost like the writer was just trying to shock, rather than be funny. Apart from those two small gripes, I thought it was great television. Roll on series 3!
    This.
  • Never understood the taboo with the C word. It’s just a noise coming out someone’s mouth.
    I usually agree with most everything you say, but that isn't right is it?

If I spouted a load of the most terrible foul mouthed abuse at your kids, I'd like to think that you would intervene, rather than think it acceptable as it is just noise coming out my mouth.
  • Enjoyed it but felt that it laboured a little bit through certain episodes, as parts of the storyline (especially his relationship with the nurse), never really seemed to progress.

The Paul Kaye therapist guy was just too manic and angry - funny in parts, but overall you couldn't buy into that at all.

The editor of the paper was sleeping on the floor of his office, when Ricky Gervais character was living alone (with the dog) in a huge house - why?

Agree with the over-use of the C-Bomb, I am by no means easily offended, but less is often more, when it comes to shocking language, and I think that he overplayed it.

Very surprised that there will be 3rd series, as not sure where it can go from here, without becoming a little bit tedious.

• Surprised there will be a 3rd series mainly because Gervais rarely deviates from a successful formula and his previous TV series have all been stopped at 2 series, then followed by 1 or 2 Christmas specials.
    The Office, Extras and Derek were all 2 series.
  • I tend to agree, he could finish this now and have a genuine masterpiece but there are plenty of angles he could take for a third series and I imagine the reward of working with people he clearly enjoys working with not to mention the phenomenal financial clout of Netflix a third will be made 

Some of the criticism has been, not unfair but a bit skewed. The use of the c bomb I think is completely contextual and if you thought Annete Crosbies character wouldn't behave like that I would have loved you to meet my dear old aunty Jess. She could truly embarrass a sailors parrot with her mouth and utilisation of the english language to its fullest and most vulgar.

Swearing is all about context and the situation. I can't think of many occasions when I haven't either dropped a c bomb or really felt the need for one to be in the room. I'm a fan, but overused it loses its potency and I think contextually it was got spot on in afterlife.

It's also meant to be a jarring comedy, that didnt happen by accident, Ricky Gervais learned how to write sensitive stuff years ago but truly mastered the art of making people cry with Derek and he has gone big with this programme and it works. Crucially he can also create situations that are genuinely very amusing to me, it's how comedy works. 

That said, we are all allowed an opinion and the world would be less interesting I suppose without them 

• edited April 2020
    really liked it, only gervais thing i cant stand is derek as i just dont find it funny. 
    Derek wasn't meant to be funny as far as I'm aware.
    Yes, there was occasional humour.
    This mockumentary-style comedy drama follows a group of outsiders living on the fringe of society. At the group's core is Derek Noakes, a tender, innocent man who works at a retirement home. 

Either way I did not find it that entertaining or something I wanted to watch. 

Paul Kaye you just want to smack in the face 
  • Carter said:
    I tend to agree, he could finish this now and have a genuine masterpiece but there are plenty of angles he could take for a third series and I imagine the reward of working with people he clearly enjoys working with not to mention the phenomenal financial clout of Netflix a third will be made 

Some of the criticism has been, not unfair but a bit skewed. The use of the c bomb I think is completely contextual and if you thought Annete Crosbies character wouldn't behave like that I would have loved you to meet my dear old aunty Jess. She could truly embarrass a sailors parrot with her mouth and utilisation of the english language to its fullest and most vulgar.

Swearing is all about context and the situation. I can't think of many occasions when I haven't either dropped a c bomb or really felt the need for one to be in the room. I'm a fan, but overused it loses its potency and I think contextually it was got spot on in afterlife.

It's also meant to be a jarring comedy, that didnt happen by accident, Ricky Gervais learned how to write sensitive stuff years ago but truly mastered the art of making people cry with Derek and he has gone big with this programme and it works. Crucially he can also create situations that are genuinely very amusing to me, it's how comedy works. 

That said, we are all allowed an opinion and the world would be less interesting I suppose without them 

My late Nan on my mother’s side, Irish traveller stock, swore and drank like a sailor, in fact Catherine Tates nan is eerily close 
  • edited April 2020
    DA9 said:
    Carter said:
    I tend to agree, he could finish this now and have a genuine masterpiece but there are plenty of angles he could take for a third series and I imagine the reward of working with people he clearly enjoys working with not to mention the phenomenal financial clout of Netflix a third will be made 

My late Nan on my mother’s side, Irish traveller stock, swore and drank like a sailor, in fact Catherine Tates nan is eerily close 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C88m_XOUJfI

you may find this funny.  @da9
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    Watched the first 2 episodes of s2 at the weekend and it seemed noticeably sadder in parts than last series, some real focus on the loneliness and depression Gervais' character is facing. And then the elephant joke had me in stitches, I think it's genius.
  • Gervais has confirmed series 3 will happen.
  • Never understood the taboo with the C word. It’s just a noise coming out someone’s mouth.
    I usually agree with most everything you say, but that isn't right is it?

If I spouted a load of the most terrible foul mouthed abuse at your kids, I'd like to think that you would intervene, rather than think it acceptable as it is just noise coming out my mouth.
    Eh?

At no point do I think spouting foul mouthed abuse at my kids would be acceptable. It’s context isn’t it, whether you use twat or cunt. Both are still noises but the context is that you’re abusing my kids, that’s the problem.
  • I enjoyed it, but not so much for laughs - as in series 1, he’s recycling jokes and themes that he’s done repeatedly on previous work, so that’s disappointing. But I did appreciate the emotional stuff. I think Gervais has got better and better at this over the years and did this very well. 

I liked that they started the development of Kath’s character. I felt she was a bit one dimensional in the first series. She gained a little bit of personality this time. I also liked postman pat. Joe Wilkinson nailed the part.
    For me, the psychotherapist was the worst thing about the series. There’s willing suspension of disbelief, but the scenes with him were just annoying in their lack of realism. No mental health professional would talk to his clients like that and still be in a job. I didn’t feel like those scenes added anything to the story either. It was one joke: ‘psychotherapist is a massive wanker.’ Hilarious.

One last thought - I liked how they got Peter Egan and Penelope Wilton together at the end. I was waiting for a reference to Ever Decreasing Circles - half expected a line containing those very words!
  • Wow surprised it got such a good review, i put on the other thread i dont think it lived up to the first series. It was good and defo worth a watch but not as funny for me, not as many LOL moments 
  • Just finished it. Have to say not a patch on series one but very moving. I am no prude but the completely unnecessary usage of the C Word in the first two episodes were cringe worthy. 
    I agree, especially with the old woman in the care home. Really unnecessary. 
  • Wow surprised it got such a good review, i put on the other thread i dont think it lived up to the first series. It was good and defo worth a watch but not as funny for me, not as many LOL moments 
    I thought it was every bit as good as the first series. I also found season 1 to be funnier, but enjoyed this season in other ways. It had a wider range of characters too. 
  • Have watched the 1st 3 episodes and so far really enjoying it.

1 minute I'm in tears of laughter and the next it's pulling on the heart strings. Really makes me wonder how I'd cope without the mrs as much as she gets on my tits :lol:

Love postman pat. Proper cracks me up every time.

1 minute I'm in tears of laughter and the next it's pulling on the heart strings. Really makes me wonder how I'd cope without the mrs as much as she gets on my tits :lol:

I was 50/50 on whether I found the therapist funny or OTT, but thought Joe Wilkinson was great. I know he was in Series 1 but Gervais gave him a lot more airtime and it was successful. 
  • Think it's the only show I've ever watched that stirs such extreme emotions both ways
  • Sponsored links:

I was 50/50 on whether I found the therapist funny or OTT, but thought Joe Wilkinson was great. I know he was in Series 1 but Gervais gave him a lot more airtime and it was successful. 
    I agree about JW. The series is not for me, though I've watched both series, but I think JW is a fine actor who elevated the material.
  • Not gonna lie, as someone who’s dad has dementia that’s come on rapidly, it had me in tears, especially with not being able to go see him at the moment. Thought Gervais did it brilliantly.
  • More of a peaceful pleasant emotional drama then a sitcom. 

It's really funny in patches and quite impressive in that sense.

At times, it felt it was a tad repetitive and dull but the emotional side came back and it was more understood, overall.

It's a really good show and it's good for the mind. It makes you feel warm. A lot of people can probably relate to it. It's nice and opens up the mind in a more friendly understanding way.

The bad sides....

1. The therapist character is really ott, pointless and not funny at all.

He is and was too much of a souless one dimensional twat. 

An ott extremely dumb unrealistic but typical "Alpha male" would not be doing a job as serious as that. It was a pointless character.

Could have just had a simple disappointing "but typical" therapist (plenty of those exist) 

Could have been more funny if it was more realistic and not just about Ricky Gervais making himself laugh while directing and filming.

2. Tony's brother in law who is the paper firm manager, is an incredibly unrealistic character.
    No way in hell would anyone have been returning to that "therapist". 

He is likeable but the character itself is really odd.

His own sister died but he sort of acts and behaves like it hasn't actually effected him and that Tony is the only person hurting from it.
    Surely does not make any sense.

3. It's a bit of an overload of actors and actresses that have previously been in Extras, life's too short, Dexter, Life on the Road...and probably maybe some other stuff.

It's quite nice to see a few of those old faces. They are really good and funny but it's just a tad too much.

It reduces the originality of the show.

4. Every character Ricky Gervais plays, apart from David Brent...always feels a need to openly admit he is an Atheist.

It's not something to celebrate.

Being realistic is all fine and dandy. It's also internally helpful and peaceful, but there really isn't any point in always openly reminding yourself "IM GOING TO BE DEAD SOON".

Let's be honest....

Life, is really weird.

Natural history is beautiful and really interesting.

Astronomy and cosmology is really interesting.

Let's just leave it at that and go along with the tide.

We don't really have much control over things.

• First season pretty good. Second and only 2 episodes in but pretty dire imo. Cheap gags, repetitive  scenes. Really poor 
  • Yeah. I started watching it last night. Series 1. We're 2 in.
    Thought it was funny in places but not earth shattering. It also didn't register too big a score on the emotional scale for me either. I will persist
  • First season pretty good. Second and only 2 episodes in but pretty dire imo. Cheap gags, repetitive  scenes. Really poor 
    I think series 2 got better as it progressed.
  • On the final penultimate episode.

Clever what he's done with Peter Egan and Penelope Wilton...even given the characters the same names Paul and Anne as their roles in Ever Decreasing Circles.

Clever what he's done with Peter Egan and Penelope Wilton...even given the characters the same names Paul and Anne as their roles in Ever Decreasing Circles.

I was about to post exactly the same. I don't think this is coincidence either. Just an extra little plotline for those of us old enough to remember that excellent, underrated sitcom. I hope this continues in series 3.

I was about to post exactly the same. I don't think this is coincidence either. Just an extra little plotline for those of us old enough to remember that excellent, underrated sitcom. I hope this continues in series 3.

Read about it on wikipedia after posting that and it appears Gervais was a huge fan...

"The actor and writer Ricky Gervais cited the series as one of his key influences, and following Briers' death said he would waive the repeat fees on The Office if they repeated Ever Decreasing Circles on BBC One"
  • edited April 2020
    I never even twigged that Egan and Wilton's characters had the same names (Paul and Anne) as their characters in EDC. Thought I was smart picking up the link to EDC. Apparently not as smart as others then! Nice touch though. I have got the EDC box set at home. Will have to get back into it as I can't remember if Paul and Anne finally got together? I don't think they did.