Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's it all about Ralphie ?

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
This months 4 4 2 claims a book of the above title is out about the 'former Dundee United and Manchester United star'.

Anyone read it ? How does he describe his brief spell with us ?

In a recent thread it was reminded his MOM display against Watford and I think it was Ralph who layed on Melrose's goal against Leeds.

That apart he did not pull up tress with us

Comments

• if I remember rightly big Ralph hit the bar on his debut and never left
  • We warrant a brief mention in the Herald review:
    His time at Charlton was miserable, then a move to Bristol City was briefly rejuvenating

Strachs was clearly a little surprised when he signed up at Man U!
    I walked into the dressing room and wee Gordon [Strachan] looked up and said, ‘what the f*** are you doing here?.” Milne says.
  • Was Watford his home debut? At my admittedly young age I remember after that game thinking he was amazing. Then he ruined my 13th birthday scoring against us at Old Trafford. A sobering moment for me, although maybe not for him
  • Debut was I think at home to Nottinham Forest. Lost 0-1 Nigel Clough. Att 5,050.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]if I remember rightly big Ralph hit the bar on his debut and never left[/quote]

Saw him stagger out of The Kings Head in the village once or thrice.
  • I bet this book is a really great read.....................not.
  • I bought the book a few years ago and found it very interesting. Until reading it, I did not realise what a fantastic player he was when he was young and before he got to the booze. He was one of the stars of the greatest ever Dundee United side. Once you realise that fact, you can understand why Ferguson took a low cost chance on him. The transfer fee when he joined Manchester United was negligible. He knew  what a talent he had been, but sadly he had lost it all by then. Well worth a read.
  • Richard J said:
    I actually purchased this on my Kindle yesterday for £2.99. I must be incredibly bored. 

It is a very sad story and the book is mainly aimed at Dundee United and Manchester United fans. 

I read his chapter about his time with us called ' A Fresh Start Goes Pear-Shaped' and have dipped in to other chapters. 

In the previous chapter he describes his battles with Jim McLean and how he never really wanted Dundee United but his 'hand was forced', and ' with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd never left'.

In terms of the Addicks he describes that he ' knew virtually nothing about them or their history'. Apparently he had a foot injury and Charlton paid for him to be seen at Harley Street.

He then speaks of how Dundee United had a successful run in the UEFA Cup which he felt sad not being part of.

Charlton moved him into a hotel in Blackheath and he describes how he 'partook in some bevvy sessions' with the other players. It seems he was particularly close to Colin Walsh as well as the other Scots Jim Melrose and Mark Reid in a 'tight-knit little group' and that Robert Lee was the 'stand out' player. 

He mistakenly describes his debut as being against Manchester United and tells the story of the Simod Cup Final. 

As a sub in the first play off game with Leeds, Micky Adams broke his cheekbone which meant he couldn't play in the following games. He tells an interesting tale of how his stiches were removed in America when awaiting the St Andrews result whilst staying with his uncle. 

The next preseason he tells stories about drinking sessions pre season with Walshy although he had 'slowly and uncharacteristically been gaining weight which was affecting my fitness'. He didn't rate the Coach Brian Eastwick and compared him unfavourably with Dundee United. 

At the start of the next season Ralph purchased a house in Crayford 'down in Kent'.He says he 'didn't like London' and was starting to 'detest' it. He describes going back to Scotland at Christmas with his wife so she could give birth because the Hospital in Dartford was getting 'bad reports'. 

Lennie allowed him to stay for the birth but when he returned he was told Bristol City wanted him on loan. When Terry Cooper suggests he wants to sign permanently Ralph says 'Let's do it, get me out of London'. 

Ralph has an interesting theory why he never scored as an Addick. It was because we were always defending. 

The book then tells how he moved from Bristol City to Manchester United. The Addicks get mentioned when he scores against us. Apparently he had lost a lot of weight by then and he enjoyed silencing the travelling fans. 

Other interesting insights are how he moved on loan at West Ham as a favour from Fergie to Lou Macari when he was 'pissed and injured' and how his one sub appearance against Derby that 'he didn't want the ball near me and managed to stay out of harms way'. 

He then describes his time in Hong Kong and a West Country publican with a member of the Wurzels. He describes how Walshy commented his 'recovery' rate from hangovers was legendary. 

In all this is quite a sad read especially when you consider Ralph died a few years ago. 

I always thought he’d scored for us in the 4 3 win against Watford at Selhurst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ricky....that's brilliant thanks.

Watched that game from the top of The Holmesdale in steady rain. Tried to warm up with boiling hot chicken soup.....which worked because I managed coat myself in it, when Jim Melrose scored the winner! 
  • Simonsen said:
    Ricky....that's brilliant thanks.

Watched that game from the top of The Holmesdale in steady rain. Tried to warm up with boiling hot chicken soup.....which worked because I managed coat myself in it, when Jim Melrose scored the winner! 
    Dad and I were driving around Woodhatch near our house that morning. It was pouring with rain and dad said, “shall we give it a miss? Rent a film instead and just go home?” and I agreed. 

That later became “doing a Watford” for the next 25 years, anytime one of us suggested giving the football a miss

Much like Ralph Milne’s name was shorthand for bad performances. 
  • Richard J said:
    This months 4 4 2 claims a book of the above title is out about the 'former Dundee United and Manchester United star'.

Anyone read it ? How does he describe his brief spell with us ?

In a recent thread it was reminded his MOM display against Watford and I think it was Ralph who layed on Melrose's goal against Leeds.

That apart he did not pull up tress CRESS with us
    Sorry it was an old post but inaccuracies must be corrected
  • Simonsen said:

Was a great game - probably one of my favourite “home games” at that dump. 
  • Simonsen said:

Other highlights at Sell-Out Park: beating Man Citeh 5-0, and Everton 3-2 with a Melrose hat-trick.  I woz there.
  • City before the millions.  Always preferred them to the other lot.
  • Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.
  • Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.
    Was that a midweek game? I remember it being the first time in my supporting time that we’d survived relegation without going to the last game of the season! 
  • Simonsen said:

Other highlights at Sell-Out Park: beating Man Citeh 5-0, and Everton 3-2 with a Melrose hat-trick.  I woz there.
    I did a full edit of the Everton game with replays and such! 

• Sponsored links:

• And we beat Man Ure 2-0.  I was hanging about after the game, and saw Fergie conduct his interview with the press outside the main stand.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.
    Was that a midweek game? I remember it being the first time in my supporting time that we’d survived relegation without going to the last game of the season! 
    This was classic game. I remember that my mates Grandad missed all 3 goals. 1st he went to the toilet  the 2nd one he was getting burgers. He said “I bet if I go toilet again we score....sure enough...
  • Richard J said:
    I actually purchased this on my Kindle yesterday for £2.99. I must be incredibly bored. 

It is a very sad story and the book is mainly aimed at Dundee United and Manchester United fans. 

I read his chapter about his time with us called ' A Fresh Start Goes Pear-Shaped' and have dipped in to other chapters. 

In the previous chapter he describes his battles with Jim McLean and how he never really wanted Dundee United but his 'hand was forced', and ' with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd never left'.

In terms of the Addicks he describes that he ' knew virtually nothing about them or their history'. Apparently he had a foot injury and Charlton paid for him to be seen at Harley Street.

He then speaks of how Dundee United had a successful run in the UEFA Cup which he felt sad not being part of.

Charlton moved him into a hotel in Blackheath and he describes how he 'partook in some bevvy sessions' with the other players. It seems he was particularly close to Colin Walsh as well as the other Scots Jim Melrose and Mark Reid in a 'tight-knit little group' and that Robert Lee was the 'stand out' player. 

He mistakenly describes his debut as being against Manchester United and tells the story of the Simod Cup Final. 

As a sub in the first play off game with Leeds, Micky Adams broke his cheekbone which meant he couldn't play in the following games. He tells an interesting tale of how his stiches were removed in America when awaiting the St Andrews result whilst staying with his uncle. 

The next preseason he tells stories about drinking sessions pre season with Walshy although he had 'slowly and uncharacteristically been gaining weight which was affecting my fitness'. He didn't rate the Coach Brian Eastwick and compared him unfavourably with Dundee United. 

At the start of the next season Ralph purchased a house in Crayford 'down in Kent'.He says he 'didn't like London' and was starting to 'detest' it. He describes going back to Scotland at Christmas with his wife so she could give birth because the Hospital in Dartford was getting 'bad reports'. 

Lennie allowed him to stay for the birth but when he returned he was told Bristol City wanted him on loan. When Terry Cooper suggests he wants to sign permanently Ralph says 'Let's do it, get me out of London'. 

Ralph has an interesting theory why he never scored as an Addick. It was because we were always defending. 

The book then tells how he moved from Bristol City to Manchester United. The Addicks get mentioned when he scores against us. Apparently he had lost a lot of weight by then and he enjoyed silencing the travelling fans. 

Other interesting insights are how he moved on loan at West Ham as a favour from Fergie to Lou Macari when he was 'pissed and injured' and how his one sub appearance against Derby that 'he didn't want the ball near me and managed to stay out of harms way'. 

He then describes his time in Hong Kong and a West Country publican with a member of the Wurzels. He describes how Walshy commented his 'recovery' rate from hangovers was legendary. 

In all this is quite a sad read especially when you consider Ralph died a few years ago. 

I always thought he’d scored for us in the 4 3 win against Watford at Selhurst.
    https://youtu.be/ertWAKAPSsM
    Brilliant, Ricky ...... really enjoyed watching that again!

Our defending never get's better, does it? haha

• JiMMy 85 said:
    Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.

Yes mate, if memory serves correct we played Forest away on the following Saturday and got thumped 4-0.
  • I swear that every time we played forest away we got thumped on teletext. 
  • edited March 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.

Yes mate, if memory serves correct we played Forest away on the following Saturday and got thumped 4-0.
    Yes indeed.  Conga on the terraces.  At final whistle Bob Bolder threw his gloves to the crowd - and my pal, a grown man, shoved kids out of the way and scrambled after 'em.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.

Yes indeed.  Conga on the terraces.  At final whistle Bob Bolder threw his gloves to the crowd - and my pal, a grown man, shoved kids out of the way and scrambled after 'em.
    Can I have one of the gloves?!
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Simonsen said:

Derby in '89.
    This was classic game. I remember that my mates Grandad missed all 3 goals. 1st he went to the toilet  the 2nd one he was getting burgers. He said “I bet if I go toilet again we score....sure enough...
    Yeah, I remember that one, Tuesday night beating Derby 3-0.

Can still picture in my mind's eye, Paul Williams streaking away 1-on-1 with England keeper Peter Shilton and slotting home.