Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A gofundme page for a Seb statue

I posted about this on the RIP thread but @Uboat mentioned it would be a better idea to start a new thread so it doesn’t lost in the discussion.

A gofundme page has been started, so people can donate towards a statue for Seb that will ideally be built inside the ground, similar to the one Valencia built in honour of one of their fans.

RIP Seb, a true Charlton legend. 

https://t.co/LKzsRHyJuB?amp=1

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Josh. It's building nicely.
  • Options
    I see a lot of people commenting on Facebook that the club/family should have been contacted about this.

I have donated however, I’m sure it will go to a good cause. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Just want to say a thank you to Brogue Stevens who started the gofundme page. Not sure whether he posts on here or not
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Excuse me for saying this. Everyone has a right to spend their money where they wish.
     Seb was a legend at Charlton and will remain so for a long time.
     However, in the situation we find ourselves, my money will be going towards helping people who have no income at present, have lost their home, have problems feeding and looking after their children and to those who have lost their jobs in companies which will disappear during this epidemic. Ask me for a donation when this mess is showing signs of getting better. 
    Lincs start a fund up for the NHS and I will donate there aswell
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Excuse me for saying this. Everyone has a right to spend their money where they wish.
     However, in the situation we find ourselves, my money will be going towards helping people who have no income at present, have lost their home, have problems feeding and looking after their children and to those who have lost their jobs in companies which will disappear during this epidemic. Ask me for a donation when this mess is showing signs of getting better. 
    great offer @clb74 .. I donate to causes, Salvation Army, NSPCC, local food banks etc. who are very able and have the experience and infrastructure to help those in need. I lack the expertise to start a fund and distribute any money raised. I recommend that anyone who is able to make a donation, however small, to a charity or organisation of their choice.
  • Options
    Donated. Can't help think £1,000 isn't going to get us a statue. Hopefully some players and the club can also contribute.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Me too. Everyone who can should be giving to relevant causes to help the fight against covid, but we will be past this one day, and when we are we will want to and must remember those who are being taken by it - especially those so young like Seb. Statue seems a great idea to me, strike while the Iron’s hot I say. 
  • Options
    Donated. Can't help think £1,000 isn't going to get us a statue. Hopefully some players and the club can also contribute.
    The speed it’s increasing, I could see it being well over £1000
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The £1000 target has been reached
  • Options
    BDL said:
    This is a great idea, one I wholeheartedly support but we need to realise what costs are involved. I've spoken to Steve Sutherland and I have Suthers permission to post this. He headed up the committee that raised funds for the Sam Bartram statue outside the entrance and I messaged him to get an idea of costs etc.

The Bartram Statue cost just over £50k and the podium was provided free of charge by Aggregate Industries. This was back in 2005.

Now what is proposed is a lot smaller, but it will still need to be done professionally, by someone like Anthony Hawken (he sculpted Sam). It will take time, about a year to plan, fundraise and build. So £1k is great but it's going to be a lot more most probably.

BUT, I'm sure that this can be done.

A statue or plaque would be a fitting memory - he deserves it as he represented our club.
  • Options
    Over £1800 now
  • Options
    personally love the idea of a statue where he always sat, saw an imagine on twitter that Valencia did this for a loyal fan..
  • Options
    personally love the idea of a statue where he always sat, saw an imagine on twitter that Valencia did this for a loyal fan..
    On my last visit to the Mestalla Stadium that statue was in place - a great idea. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    How much did the bronze of Sam Bartram cost ?
  • Options
    £50k, BDL posted it above mate
  • Options
    £50k, BDL posted it above mate
    Sorry. Missed that. A tall order but let’s see. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think a plaque is probably more appropriate and easy to maintain.

Would like to see the players carry his flag out onto the pitch the first game back.

Money for a plaque is already passed I would think. What maintenance does Sam get ?
  • Options
    Only a couple of hundred pounds short of the 2.5K target.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    BDL said:
    This is a great idea, one I wholeheartedly support but we need to realise what costs are involved. I've spoken to Steve Sutherland and I have Suthers permission to post this. He headed up the committee that raised funds for the Sam Bartram statue outside the entrance and I messaged him to get an idea of costs etc.

The Bartram Statue cost just over £50k and the podium was provided free of charge by Aggregate Industries. This was back in 2005.

Now what is proposed is a lot smaller, but it will still need to be done professionally, by someone like Anthony Hawken (he sculpted Sam). It will take time, about a year to plan, fundraise and build. So £1k is great but it's going to be a lot more most probably.

BUT, I'm sure that this can be done.

Anthony was very keen to make a statue of Jimmy Seed to match the one of Sam, but the cost was more than double the cost for Sam’s, so £100k +

Half of the money raised for Sam’s came from one donor.