Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Surely this is a no-contest.

Only one goal won goal of the season. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Surely this is a no-contest.

Do you mean between Bartlett and Stephens or the whole contest?

Dont forget there wont have been a Goal of the Season competition for some of the modern goals so bit hard to judge purely on that

Nor should the event dictate the goal either

i.e. I'll need to see Parker's goal against Leeds again but bet people will vote Mendonca because of the occasion
  • Dazzler21 said:

One goal won Golden Goal as well. Hales v Bartlett should be the final.
  • Worldy Cup - So the quality of goal should be more important than the occasion of the goal.
  • shine166 said:
    Gutted, thought this was about the WAGS 
    Same - I’m actually quite angry that it isn’t. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

No. I think if Mendonca's third in 1998 doesn't win the lot we have failed as a fan base.
  • shine166 said:
    Needs locking and the OP banned for time wasting 
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Needs locking and the OP banned for time wasting 
    I don’t like him.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

No. I think if Mendonca's third in 1998 doesn't win the lot we have failed as a fan base.
    Quality of the goal not the occasion. On that basis Bartlett wins hands down.
  • edited March 2020
    Kermorgant's against Hartlepool should win for me

Tightness of the angle, the way he hooked it back over his head - Absolutely class
  • Jensen at Highbury. 

The quality of not only the goal, but the opposition as well. 
  • Kermorgant's against Hartlepool should win for me

Tightness of the angle, the way he hooked it back over his head - Absolutely class
    It was a cross.

Any excuse to dig out this GIF - But if it wasnt Kermorgant then I'd agree ;)
  • Yeah Lisbie for the solo effort...
  • I honestly don't think you can separate the goal from its context, it's just not possible. That Lisbie goal is good. Starts off in his own half and the bend on the finish is lovely. Aside from that though, it's his hattrick goal against Liverpool in a match we won, and it's Kevin bloody Lisbie who did that. You can't not think about that when you watch it. Jacko's is also more significant based on the season we were having and what he'd done the week before. I'd go with Lisbie's as the better goal all things considered
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I the only one who was amazed and slightly confused when Bartlett won GOTS? It was a good goal but no way is it even in the top 10 of all contenders here
  • Voted for Bartlett and Lisbie. Quality of opposition has to be taken into account. 
  • Ross said:
    No drama, we all know Susan Boyle would have beaten Nicola Sturgeon in the final (only time Scotland would win something). 
  • Croydon said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Quality of the goal not the occasion. On that basis Bartlett wins hands down.
    Steve Jones absolutely hammers the ball in as a "cross" and Mendonca does unbelievably well to control it, then contort his body to put it past Perez.

And I don't think one can really divorce goal from occasion. Well, it's in the eye of the beholder, but I think Carlos Alberto's goal in the 1970 World Cup final is probably the greatest goal of all time. It wasn't influential in the match, sure, but it represented the zenith of football at its purest - the last time you could truly just send eleven players out on a pitch with instructions barely greater than "play football" and win a World Cup (though they were of course incredibly well prepared as footballers for the tournament, don't get me wrong).

That Brazil '70 team represents The Beautiful Game for me. But I digress.
  • Lisbie wins the second vote with 65%.
  • Kermorgant's against Hartlepool should win for me

If it was deliberate then definitely my favourite.
  • Worldy Cup - So the quality of goal should be more important than the occasion of the goal.
    You can't discount the occasion though. Had they have been of equal quality in themselves, Bartlett's would still be better than Stephens' because it was against better opposition. Of course, that's academic in this particular case because Bartlett's was better anyway.

Also, if the occasion of the goal was not important, Dmitar Mitov's 90 yarder would surely be in the final 32, but it isn't because it was at under-18 level. 
  • More important. Not completely discount