Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help me find Carlo’s classic goal

My memory tends to conflate things so I’m hoping you lot can help me figure this out... if I remember correctly, this happened around 1993 or 1994. It’s at The Valley, we have a free kick. The kick is blocked or something, and the ball breaks loose to Carl Leaburn in the box. He tries to finish it but the referee somehow managed to get between the ball and the goal, so Carlo bundled them both over the line. 

Did I imagine this? Did it happen like this? When was it?! Does anyone have a video of it? I need to know. 

Comments

• Easy-peasy. CAFC 5-1 Notts County 13 Nov 93. I'm sure it will be on the season's video.

• Brilliant, thanks Alan! I now have to dig out the tape. And a VCR. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Brilliant, thanks Alan! I now have to dig out the tape. And a VCR. 
    Do share once you’ve found it @JiMMy 85
    😎
  • My old school friend Tony Agana scored for County that day. 
    Lovely bloke and a bit of a legend at Sheffield United.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Brilliant, thanks Alan! I now have to dig out the tape. And a VCR. 
    The former will probably be easier than the latter!

• It was a 43' equaliser by the big man, scored at the JS. We saw it from the Covered End, so it was well distant but clear enough that Carlo had scored a remarkable double. It energised a four goal second half. IIRC Kim Grant was taken off on 58' because of and/or accompanied by serious abuse from the crowd. Quite an afternoon!!

• Easy-peasy. CAFC 5-1 Notts County 13 Nov 93. I'm sure it will be on the season's video.

I thought, sweet, Ive uploaded all my videos from 88/89 to 02/03 and havent got 93/94

Odd
  • My old school friend Tony Agana scored for County that day. 
    Kemnal Manor then. I played in a under 14 team with Colin Foster who also went to Kemnal Manor. I was in a year below Tony and Colin.
  • edited March 2020
    Shaun newton scored a screamer and Kim grant missed an open goal in that game as well. 

My first real season going every home game and have such great memories of that season. 

• Just watched it on Valley Pass. Grant missed a sitter, not for the first time, and I'm sure you can hear the first rumblings of the crowd's great displeasure. Super video. I'm going to watch again. From a long-bygone age.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2020
    Shaun newton scored a screamer and Kim grant missed an open goal in that game as well. 

My first real season going every home home and have such great memories of that season. 
    Is that where you go after going Out Out?
     ;) 

• Just watched it on Valley Pass. Grant missed a sitter, not for the first time, and I'm sure you can hear the first rumblings of the crowd's great displeasure. Super video. I'm going to watch again. From a long-bygone age.
    I remember the covered end shouting off off off to grant. curbs had the right hump and did not want any players clapping the fans after.

• Shaun newton scored a screamer and Kim grant missed an open goal in that game as well. 

My first real season going every home game and have such great memories of that season. 

Were the other ones on Football Manager?
  • Quality game from a time I had a season ticket. Felt sorry for Grant when he received so much abuse when he was subbed but tbf he didn't help himself that day. He was having a proper 'mare.

• It was a 43' equaliser by the big man, scored at the JS. We saw it from the Covered End, so it was well distant but clear enough that Carlo had scored a remarkable double. It energised a four goal second half. IIRC Kim Grant was taken off on 58' because of and/or accompanied by serious abuse from the crowd. Quite an afternoon!!

This is a fair example of GlassHalfFull's extraordinary, encyclopaedic memory.  He can also recall the number of passengers on the 177 bus to the ground, and the speed and direction of wind at kick-off.
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_r2vzm0ns

Link for those with Valley Pass.

What on earth was the referee doing running across the goal line?

• KettsJohn said:
    My old school friend Tony Agana scored for County that day. 
    Kemnal Manor then. I played in a under 14 team with Colin Foster who also went to Kemnal Manor. I was in a year below Tony and Colin.
    I knew Colin really well, he was in the same form class as me. We, (them two), and about five others used to play 3 Card Brag each lunchtime. A good training for a career as a footballer. Tony could beat you at anything, even a card game of chance. He was down at Charlton for a while but never got on for whatever reason, remember him telling me some years later that if your face doesn’t fit you don’t play. He, like Colin went on to in the premier league so I tend to agree with him. 
    I played against Colin when he played for Elmstead. I never played football on the same team at school as Colin, I was in the school rugby team, he obviously had more sense. I remember that when he had school boy terms at Orient the football club really dictated a lot what he could play and when. He also came down Charlton with me a few times but I don’t really think he was taken with the 1970’s atmosphere quite as much as me.

Both were good friends but as is the way when you’re young, you stay in touch for a while but inevitably go in different directions. 

Was this the same game when Kim grant got a chorus of “off off off” leading to curbs going tonto at the covered end?

• The atmosphere was undeniably unpleasant. I'd forgotten that Curbs was extremely angry at Grant's treatment. Not the usual reaction to a 5-1 win. 

I thought, sweet, Ive uploaded all my videos from 88/89 to 02/03 and havent got 93/94

Odd
    I’ve uploaded mine too but the early to mid 90s videos have rights protection and when I tried to digitise them, the image went all green. 

As for the game, Grant got worse as the crowd increased the booing. It’s the one and only time I’ve booed my own player - my excuse is that I was 14 and didn’t know any better! Felt dreadful about it when I saw how sad he was, especially when he didn’t celebrate the goals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Checked on Youtube to no avail.  However, I did find a classic clip of Carl picking up his 'man of the match' award at the Woolwich branch of Rumbelows - a 21 inch colour TV no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxmZkQpRVv8
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Easy-peasy. CAFC 5-1 Notts County 13 Nov 93. I'm sure it will be on the season's video.

Odd
    I’ve uploaded mine too but the early to mid 90s videos have rights protection and when I tried to digitise them, the image went all green. 

As for the game, Grant got worse as the crowd increased the booing. It’s the one and only time I’ve booed my own player - my excuse is that I was 14 and didn’t know any better! Felt dreadful about it when I saw how sad he was, especially when he didn’t celebrate the goals. 
    I used Arcsoft and googled it. 

I'm not very tech savvy and found a cheat you had to upload
  • Was this the same game when a fella jumped out of the Covered End and shoved one of their players? Happened in a flash and I'm not sure the fella even got nicked. 
  • That clip of Carlo scoring while the ref ended up in the net even made the "what happened next" round on A Question of Sport
  • Oh that reminds me - does anybody remember which away game it was where one of our fans ran on the pitch to celebrate with the players, slipped, and took three of them out?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Oh that reminds me - does anybody remember which away game it was where one of our fans ran on the pitch to celebrate with the players, slipped, and took three of them out?
    Think that was Huddersfield away in 95/96, after a Mark Robson pen
  • Chunes said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_r2vzm0ns

Link for those with Valley Pass.

What on earth was the referee doing running across the goal line?

Seeing as most of is are effectively locked in at home & need some light relief, any chance the club could make Valley Pass free & so us plebs could watch these classics. 
  • DA9 said:

Easy-peasy. CAFC 5-1 Notts County 13 Nov 93. I'm sure it will be on the season's video.

Was this the same game when Kim grant got a chorus of “off off off” leading to curbs going tonto at the covered end?
    Curbs understood the importance of the crowd and I always thought he managed us as if we were a player.  
  • It’s a long time since I binned all my old end of season VHS’s but I’d love to rewatch 1987-8 and 88-9 now...
  • Fumbluff said:
    It’s a long time since I binned all my old end of season VHS’s but I’d love to rewatch 1987-8 and 88-9 now...
    A few years ago, Aliwibble linked us to extended highlights of the Battle of Stamford Bridge and the play-off final against Leeds.  Probably on YouTube?  I was there for both games, but looking back was astonished by our high energy and attacking spirit at St Andrews.