Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Play Off Finals combined XI

edited March 2020 in General Charlton
Who would be in your team from the players that played in the 2 games against our bitches Sunderland?..... I’d go with:

Phillips
Brown | Rufus | Bauer | Bowen
Cullen | Jones | Kinsella
Williams
Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

Well that killed 2 mins - only another 3 months to go. 

Comments

• Robinson over Williams. Different class and Robinson scored goals.

Ilic over Philips. I rate Dillon but Ilic was brilliant that season.

Would be interesting if you'd included the Leeds play-off team.
  • Robinson over Williams. Different class and Robinson scored goals.

Ilic over Philips. I rate Dillon but Ilic was brilliant that season.

Would be interesting if you'd included the Leeds play-off team.
    The Leeds Play Off team certainly changes the thinking. Def have to have Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Shirtliff and Walsh in my team. 
  • Ilic 

Mills Rufus Youds Bowen 
    Newton Jones Kinsella Heaney 
    Bright Mendonca 

Subs Robinson, Brown, Jones, Taylor, Williams 
  • Who would be in your team from the players that played in the 2 games against our bitches Sunderland?..... I’d go with:

Phillips
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

It's interesting that you have picked Brown over Mills, despite Brown not starting in 98
  • Chizz said:
    Who would be in your team from the players that played in the 2 games against our bitches Sunderland?..... I’d go with:

Phillips
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

It's interesting that you have picked Brown over Mills, despite Brown not starting in 98
    Brown surely never played Right-Back? - Then again he wasnt a Goalkeeper!!
  • Although Brown played over 200 games for us I still think he was underused at times. Remember in the premier league he'd often be back up centre back, play brilliantly when called upon, then straight out the team as soon as the main man was back. 
  • Talal said:
    Cullen is not better than Keith Jones. 
    Kinsella up there as one of my all time faves, but having watched that rerun of the Play off final at the weekend, Jones actually had a better game than Kinsella, he was class
  • Sponsored links:

• Williams for Heaney, Taylor for Bright. The other nine all from 98.
  • Chizz said:

Phillips
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

He played at right back quite a lot to start with. I believe he was playing right-back when we beat Bradford 4-1 and he scored from about 35 yards, for example. I'd agree that he was probably better at centre back though, and I particularly remember him keeping Cole and Yorke quiet for the first 89 minutes at The Valley in our first season in the Prem.

He seemed like a real Curbs-type player, but Curbs only seemed willing to use him on a short term basis, either in the absence of another player or to change things up a bit. 
  • Phillips

Mills (although diabolical in that game), Rufus, Bauer, Bowen

Aribo, Kinsella, K Jones, Robinson

Mendonca, Taylor. 
  • edited March 2020
    MrLargo said:
    Chizz said:

Phillips
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

He played at right back quite a lot to start with. I believe he was playing right-back when we beat Bradford 4-1 and he scored from about 35 yards, for example. I'd agree that he was probably better at centre back though, and I particularly remember him keeping Cole and Yorke quiet for the first 89 minutes at The Valley in our first season in the Prem.

He seemed like a real Curbs-type player, but Curbs only seemed willing to use him on a short term basis, either in the absence of another player or to change things up a bit. 
    Indeed - when he first got in the team it was at Right Back. He certainly played there at Old Trafford in the 94 Cup Quarter final, he did pretty well against Giggs. 
  • edited March 2020
    MrLargo said:
    Chizz said:

Phillips
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

Indeed - when he first got in the team it was at Right Back. He certainly played there at Old Trafford in the 94 Cup Quarter final, he did pretty well against Giggs. 
    He was a better centre half- particularly in the long winning spell that we had in 99/00, but my early memories of him were as a right back.  
  • edited March 2020
    MrLargo said:
    Chizz said:

Phillips
    Williams
    Mendonca | Taylor

Manager - Curbishley 

Cheers, I always saw him as a Centre-Back or emergency Defensive Midfielder

Andy Hughes was a modern version of him!! - Would say Lapslie is the closest we've got in the current squad to them
  • God to have a Midfield of Cullen and Kinsella!!
    Not the way Cullen has played lately.  K Jones was quality; great energy and battling quality.  No great passing range but neither does Cullen.  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Phillips

Mills (although diabolical in that game), Rufus, Bauer, Bowen

Aribo, Kinsella, K Jones, Robinson

Mendonca, Taylor. 
    This is a good team I think. As much as I love Sasa, I never actually rated him that highly in terms of technical ability. Taylor pulling out wide to create space chances for Super Clive would be tasty.
  • Ilic 

Mills
    Rufus
    Bauer
    Bowen

Aribo
    Kinsella
    K. Jones
    Robinson

Taylor
    Mendonca

Tough leaving Cullen out but Jones had a great game that day.

• Sponsored links:

• Play off final v Leeds 1987:

**Bolder**
    Humphrey*Shirtliff*Miller*Reid
    Lee* Gritt*Peake*Walsh
    Crook*Melrose
    Sub: M.Stuart
  • FSLN1 said:
    Play off final v Leeds 1987:

**Bolder**
    Humphrey*Shirtliff*Miller*Reid
    Lee* Gritt*Peake*Walsh
    Crook*Melrose
    Sub: M.Stuart
    did realise Matt Southall was involved back then 
  • Just quickly....

Bolder

Humphrey Shirtliff Rufus Bowen

Lee K. Jones Kinsella Walsh

Mendonca Melrose

Subs; Taylor, Bright, Miller, Brown, M. Stuart, Peake, Illic, 
  • Simonsen said:
    Just quickly....

Bolder

Humphrey Shirtliff Rufus Bowen

Lee K. Jones Kinsella Walsh

Mendonca Melrose

Subs; Taylor, Bright, Miller, Brown, M. Stuart, Peake, Illic, 
    6 of my all time favourite ever players in that starting line up. 
  • All this proves is that the quality of the players are getting worse as time goes on. 
  • edited March 2020
    Mendonca and Taylor up front served by Cullen and Kinsella !! .. dreams are made of this .. Ilic .. Mills Bauer Rufus Bowen .. Robinson Cullen Kinsella Heaney .. Mendonca Taylor .. regretfully no starting place for the excellent Keith Jones, Steve Jones, Steve Brown, Joe Aribo or Shaun Newton

EDIT tempted to choose Aribo over Heaney .. but Heaney was a tough meanie so he'll still start ((:>)
  • edited March 2020
    All this proves is that the quality of the players are getting worse as time goes on. 
    Agree with this 
  • All this proves is that the quality of the players are getting worse as time goes on. 
    All this proves is that the quality of the players are getting worse as time goes on. 

agreed, BUT remember, one team was bound for the Prem, the other for the Champ .. and Curbs had a few bob to spend