Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watch the 1998 play-off final from 15.00 today for free.

The full game of Charlton’s incredible play-off final clash with Sunderland from 1998 will be available for free on Valley Pass for 24 hours from 3pm on Saturday to 3pm on Sunday.

You don’t need a Valley Pass subscription or a login to watch, just click on the game and watch all three hours of the full Sky Sports production to relive the highs and lows of that roller-coaster day on May 25th 1998.  

The video will be available for free from 3pm on Saturday in the below video player or on the club's YouTube page by clicking here.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e75d6e6092a7/watch-the-1998-play-off-final-for-free-from-3pm-on-saturday

Comments

• Wish there was an option to switch to Mark and Paddy's wonderful commentary ...
  • Are we going to have a Match Thread?
  • Is there the full 90 mins of the 1947 cup final anywhere?
  • What was the score?
  • Lovely gesture.  Thanks Matt
  • Really enjoyed reliving the day. 
  • More of this please. Classic matches from the archives to help pass the next few months would be much appreciated. 
  • I only watched the penalties yesterday, but even knowing the result I was still really nervous....as I was on the day!
  • Sponsored links:

• What a group of players we had then. Full of character and a refusal to roll over. 

Add to that no shortage of quality and we were a tough proposition that season. 

Keith Jones just went about his business and was a nightmare for the opposition.  Also, brave enough to take a pen.  All our penalties were excellent in the face of the wall of noise from their end. 

Looking at Michael Gray's penalty.  He had a little wobble just before he took it and he seemed to shudder at the prospect right at the last second. That was the moment we needed and Sasa easily saved his tame penalty. 

22 years ago but also fresh in the memory and I got on TV after our 4th goal.  Fantastic game of football that neither team deserved to lose. 
  • As others have said, watching this brought all those emotions flooding back, less intense as in 1998 for sure, but I relived ever high and low again.

Just how good was Bowen? Mendonca is rightly remembered for a stunning hat trick, Rufus for his first goal, Steve Brown for 'that' tackle, every one of them played their part, but I don't think Bowen got the recognition at the time.

I was knackered after kicking every ball again last night. 
  • Yes, Mark Bowen was a great signing for us.  Highly experienced and very calm and assured under pressure.  
  • Yeh, watching it again yesterday he really stood out for me. Youds tackle in the box just before half time was class too!
  • The quality of the picture was pants, surely a higher quality version exists? Not HD but not ZD, zero definition.
  • It is surprising how your memory plays tricks on you. I hadn't realised that Clive's first was so early in the first half. I had thought it was about ten minutes later.

In terms of players I hadn't remembered how Bowen and Bright made significant contributions and that Steve Jones was outstanding when he came on. Indeed Curbishley's substitutions were a master class. 
  • Great watching that again. Also brought back the feelings of anxiety when watching the penalties including how I felt all came back from the play off semi final last year! Agree with all that has been said about Charlton never giving up. One thing additionally I noticed this time was how Shaun Newton got clattered every time he got the ball. 
  • edited March 2020
    Seen it a few times over the years......for some strange reason I focused on Keith Jones this time......Jeeezuz, what a great game he had, never stopped for 120 minutes, absolutely brilliant.
    Not forgetting his courage to take a penalty.👍
  • The quality of the picture was pants, surely a higher quality version exists? Not HD but not ZD, zero definition.
    Dear oh dear oh dear.
  • Seen it a few times over the years......for some strange reason I focused on Keith Jones this time......Jeeezuz, what a great game he had, never stopped for 120 minutes, absolutely brilliant.
    Quality player. Real unsung hero. Him and Kinsella were as good a partnership as I’ve seen Charlton shirts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Is there the full 90 mins of the 1947 cup final anywhere?
    I can’t imagine what EastTerrace would have to say about the quality.......it doesn’t bear thinking about.😏