Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best Football Manager version?

Facing weeks/months without football, I thought it was a good time to get back into Football Manager. Not played one of these type games for 20 years, I gave up as it was too time consuming and addictive  :D Indeed not played ANY games for 20 years.

I'll be playing on a PC, and want to play a full fat version, so does that mean I should play the normal version rather than the Touch version? 

Is "steam" an online version, and is this the same otherwise as buying the physical game?

Thanks

Comments

• Championship Manager 97/98 was peak for me.
    Couldn't agree more

96 was my awakening, post 2000 it got too much, far, far too much 
  • Best version will always be Championship Manager 01/02

You can download it for free now

https://www.fmscout.com/a-championship-manager-0102-free-download.html
    There were some greats on this version but none will ever surpass To Madeira.
  • Facing weeks/months without football, I thought it was a good time to get back into Football Manager. Not played one of these type games for 20 years, I gave up as it was too time consuming and addictive  :D Indeed not played ANY games for 20 years.

I'll be playing on a PC, and want to play a full fat version, so does that mean I should play the normal version rather than the Touch version? 

Is "steam" an online version, and is this the same otherwise as buying the physical game?

Thanks
    Yes, Steam is the same as buying the physical game.

Be warned though - the amount of detail and commitment that goes into the game far exceeds most other gaming experiences.

Since the most recent one came out in November, I’ve spent a lot of time downloading graphic packs, skins, databases etc in order to enhance the experience - yet I still haven’t even managed to get past a full pre season yet due to my own faffing around

Wrong it's 00/01 before "protected contracts"

That's free as well BTW. 
  • cafctom said:
    Facing weeks/months without football, I thought it was a good time to get back into Football Manager. Not played one of these type games for 20 years, I gave up as it was too time consuming and addictive  :D Indeed not played ANY games for 20 years.

Thanks
    Yes, Steam is the same as buying the physical game.

Be warned though - the amount of detail and commitment that goes into the game far exceeds most other gaming experiences.

Since the most recent one came out in November, I’ve spent a lot of time downloading graphic packs, skins, databases etc in order to enhance the experience - yet I still haven’t even managed to get past a full pre season yet due to my own faffing around
    I an aware of the commitment, but suspect that I'll have plenty of time to burn...

Bought a physical (brand new) copy on ebay as it was cheaper than buying through the official Steam site
  • I can't remember which version of Championship Manager I played, the version would have been between 1999 and 2001, as I bought my first PC in 97 and initially played a different football manager game, which was rubbish really as it was too broad and you endlessly found yourself having to waste your transfer money on building a new stand after the last one mysteriously burnt down!
  • Definitely worth getting the full FM2020.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not Football Manager or even Championship Manager so apologies for that but my favourite PC manager game will always be Ultimate Soccer Manager 98

My addiction to that game absolutely ruined my GCSEs. I was so into it that when I realised that you'd hear the home fans on the left speaker and the away fans on the right, I adjusted the audio balance so that you'd just hear a faint cheer to the right for an away goal and an almighty roar on the left for home goals. It was a bit sad, but I'm now in my 30s and would do it again.
    Love this!

whelp there's my self isolation sorted

This is the only right answer. I believe you can still get free updates so you can get the modern day squads 
  • PopIcon said:
    Premier Manager (92) was my game.
    Always started off with Wycombe Wanderers in the conference.
    I had it on the Atari ST, genuinely surprised the floppy disk didn't wear out.

Floppy disk, kids Google it.
    Floppy disks? Advanced technology when compared to cassettes  :D

THIS was the game of the 80s anyway

• PopIcon said:

Had this on the zx81, text only. You could press the space key to bypass the pauses and play season after season in a fraction of the time.

He has an android version on Google Play, quite evocative. 
  • rikofold said:
    PopIcon said:

Had this on the zx81, text only. You could press the space key to bypass the pauses and play season after season in a fraction of the time.

He has an android version on Google Play, quite evocative. 
    I played this on a BBC Micro for a few years, then when at University one of the people I house shared with in 1988 was a complete dick but had an Amstrad computer where we used to play this when he was out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely worth getting the full FM2020.
    Did they ever fix the amount of one on ones the strikers were missing? I played it when it first came out and stopped because I found this problem so frustrating. You'd have Harry Kane one on one with the keeper with a 19 out of 20 for finishing and he'd miss 80% of the time. 
  • Been playing 01/02, FM08 & then FM06 on the commute a lot recently, as it's a lot more 'bitesize' than the modern ones and you can play a decent amount in an hour on the train.

FM08 is a decent one - just after we went down so a bit of a challenge sorting out Pardew's mess, but a few good wonderkids like Aaritalo, Torje & Stancu who you can buy with the money you get for shipping out players like Iwelumo and McLeod.
  • edited March 2020
    Best version will always be Championship Manager 01/02

3-1-2-1-2 formation

Chiotis

N'Diaye Okoronkwo West

Said

Kerr Kallstrom Wellens

Zolo-Moukoko

Collins Farnerud

(To Madeira is cheating because he's not real)

3-1-2-1-2 formation

Chiotis

N'Diaye Okoronkwo West

Said

Kerr Wellens

Zolo-Moukoko

Collins Farnerud

Nah got to have Mike Duff at CDM

Always make sure he's my first signing along with a young Aussie Striker called Tallan Martin (Free Signing)

Been playing 01/02, FM08 & then FM06 on the commute a lot recently, as it's a lot more 'bitesize' than the modern ones and you can play a decent amount in an hour on the train.

FM08 is a decent one - just after we went down so a bit of a challenge sorting out Pardew's mess, but a few good wonderkids like Aaritalo, Torje & Stancu who you can buy with the money you get for shipping out players like Iwelumo and McLeod.
    With 01/02 you can edit the Commentary file so games get played quicker meaning you can complete seasons a lot faster
  • edited March 2020
    You can quite quickly train yourself to read 'very fast' commentary on CM01/02

@ForeverAddickted Forgot Mike Duff, often second fiddle to Ibrahim Said though.

My addiction to that game absolutely ruined my GCSEs. I was so into it that when I realised that you'd hear the home fans on the left speaker and the away fans on the right, I adjusted the audio balance so that you'd just hear a faint cheer to the right for an away goal and an almighty roar on the left for home goals. It was a bit sad, but I'm now in my 30s and would do it again.
    I once put on a full suit, shirt tie and smart shoes for a champions league final.

I was 22.
    We had a net game in 6th form over the school wifi, would be sat in various class (including Art, Maths etc. somehow) 'working' on our laptops. Went from As a GCSE to BCCEE at AS Level.
  • Only a matter of days before I cave into temptation. Think 03 was the last version i played and that was definitely starting to get too intricate for me.

Summer of 98, my parents went on holiday for a fortnight. I reckon 10 days out of 14 I was on the PC at 8am and played solidly through to 1 or 2am. Might explain why I didn't get laid much as a youngster.

Love that so many people have had the same obsession with it. I've heard stories of people putting on a suit when their side was in the Champions League Final, and I once found myself scrolling through a Champ Manager message board where people were reminiscing about their favourite players from older versions of the game, obscure Dutch defenders, Leyton Orient reserves and so on who went on to become superstars of people's CM teams.

3-1-2-1-2 formation

Chiotis

N'Diaye Okoronkwo West

Said

Kerr Wellens

Zolo-Moukoko

Collins Farnerud

No way, 41212

Chiostis
    Duff, Okowonkwo, Klompe, West
    Said
    Kerr, Doukas
    Moukoko or Bakircioglu
    And two of Tsigalko, Skalidis or Papadopoulos upfront.

I once put on a full suit, shirt tie and smart shoes for a champions league final.

I was 22.
    You can also sit at the top of a stepladder or go upstairs to watch the match if you're on a touchline ban.