Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Isolation Recreation - The Old Films Thread

edited March 2020 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
Following on from the Escape From Alcatraz thread, what old films would you recommend?  I know it's arbitrary, but perhaps we can take the definition of @AddicksAddict anything pre 1980s

@Off_it has already given us the sublime Twelve Angry Men.  I'll add the original Taking of Pelham 123, the original Carrie and Henri-Geeorges Clouzot's black and white masterpiece Les Diaboliques.

Comments

• @LoOkOuT indeed - how very dare you!

Actually, I was disappointed by the original Pelham 123 having watched the remake first. It just seemed like it was a load of blokes shouting loudly to see who could out/New Yawk the others best. 
  • edited March 2020
    Oops, sorry!  Amended now.

No, the original is a classic. You'll never beat Walter Matthau ribbing the Japanese subway guys and the look on his face at the end is worth watching the film on its own.
  • Metropolis (Fritz Lang original)
    Rear Window (Hitchcock)
    Grapes of Wrath (John Ford)
    The General (Buster Keaton)

• The original Carrie is fantastic, it makes my top 10 horror films. As does The Omen (1976), Rosemary's baby (1968) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and of course Haloween (1978).

I personally think 95% of recent (post 2000) Hollywood horrors are MILES behind their predecessors.
  • Kes (1970, Ken Loach) 

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951, Ealing Studios)

Two of my favourite British films. 
  • This is just going to turn into another list of films isn’t it? With people trying to outdo each other with obscure nominations.

For that reason I will end it with The Long Good Friday. 

Good day.
  • Watched Passport to Pimlico for about the fourth time again the other day.
    Loved it.
  • Debbie Does Dallas
  • Talking Pics TV has nothing but old films and TV all day.

Some good, some rubbish.

Danger UXB is on Mondays

Over in the Horror Channel is Time Tunnel. Not seen it since I was a kid but loved it then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Passport to Pimlico for about the fourth time again the other day.
    Loved it.
    One of the greatest films of all time.
  • French Connection 1 and 2
    Dirty Harry and Magnum Force, the three after that were a bit average
    Long Good Friday
    Get Carter
    Day of the Jackal
  • Watched zulu yesterday afternoon.  :)

My missus was totally pissed off.    

She's hoping the football gets back on the TV as soon as possible and she can't stand football.  :)
  • Flims to maybe avoid

Outbreak (1995)
    28 Days Later (2002)
    28 Weeks Later (2007)
    Flu (2013)
    World War Z  (2013)
    The Crazies (2010)
    The Andomeda Strain (1971)
    Quarantine (2008)
    12 Monkeys (1995)
    Pandemic (2016)
    Doomsday (2008)
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

and quite a few more!

• I quite liked The Mouse that Roared but Passport to Pimlico is a far better film.

If we're going really old, Jean Vigo's L'Atalante.  Black and white AND subtitles.  Serious cinephile points.
  • Not old but it includes lots of old film, and it’s one of my favourites ... Hugo, directed by Scorcese. 

References to the start of cinema with one of the main characters being Georges Melies, includes Lumiere Bothers, Harold Lloyd, and much more. 
  • The Criterion channel streaming service has loads of good old movies on but you'll need a vpn to access it as its only available in the states 
  • Sponsored links:

• If you like a war film, The cruel sea kicks off at 2 on BBC 2
    If the film is half as good as the book - one of the best I have ever read - definitely worth watching.

Unfortunately I've just been told I'm going to the garden centre! 😁 

• If you like a war film, The cruel sea kicks off at 2 on BBC 2

Also an Ealing Studio film although very much removed from their standard comedies.

My grandfather went on one of the Russian convoys, the one that left after the doomed QP17 convoy, I remember some of the harrowing soiries and sense of sheer terror that the sailors went through. I've read the book it was based and while the film has some grim moments the book is a bit grimmer. It's also one of the few films about WWII that gets under the stiff upper lip way that British and Allied servicemen and women are usually portrayed.
  • stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Clive of India
    On the Waterfront

Anything from Ealing Studios ... there are some great box sets available 

This is the box set I have, it’s superb:

Kind Hearts and Coronets
    The Ladykillers
    The Lavender Hill Mob
    The Man in the White Suit
    The Magnet
    Passport to Pimlico
    The Titfield Thunderbolt
    Whisky Galore
    Champagne Charlie
    Dead of Night
    The Maggie
    Scott of the Antarctic
    Nicholas Nickleby
    Went The Day Well
    It Always Rains on Sunday

Like you love all the Ealing films, The Ladykillers my favourite, it should appeal to all the CL train lovers as well
  • Emmanuel 
  • If you haven't already seen it, take the opportunity to watch Orson Welles' 1949 masterpiece, The Third Man.
  • Stig said:
    Every episode of The Survivors ever made is available in full on YouTube. Highly recommended viewing during a period of sickness, especially for those with a well developed sense of irony!
  • I will nominate the Maltese Falcon or the Big Sleep for lovers of hard bitten private eye fiction.
  • Most Billy Wilder films. 
  • Powell & Pressburger, but especially I Know Where I’m Going, A Matter Of Life Death and Colonel Blimp.
  • Stig said:
    2:15 I recognise that quarry from Dr Who.

Great first series, just like the TV Day of The Triffids.