Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travel Advice for Wigan (25-APR)

edited February 2020 in Match Day Travel
Hi

Me and my 9 year old are heading over from Ireland to home game v Wigan, we're flying to and from Gatwich (arriving Friday, leaving Sunday) and would ideally like to stay somewhere that is easy to get to the Valley and easy to get to the airport. We realistically won't be going into the city 

We're considering staying here, looks like it would be easy to get to The Valley from here

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/harlinger-lodge-annexe.en-gb.html

Thanks

Comments

• Yes,very easy to get to 'The Valley' about a ten minute walk but quite bleak in the area with very little around the lodge except warehouses,closed down pubs & a drive-in Mcdonalds.
    If your getting the train from /to Gatwick, Charlton Station is probably the best,about a 15 minute walk or 3 minute bus ride,Woolwich Dockyard Station is also walkable,but not all trains stop there & is in a very dodgy area.
  • siblers said:
    Hi

Me and my 9 year old are heading over from Ireland to home game v Wigan, we're flying to and from Gatwich (arriving Friday, leaving Sunday) and would ideally like to stay somewhere that is easy to get to the Valley and easy to get to the airport. We realistically won't be going into the city 

We're considering staying here, looks like it would be easy to get to The Valley from here

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/harlinger-lodge-annexe.en-gb.html

Thanks

I wouldn't stay there, as while convenient for the ground, it's a grim area so not nice for the rest of your weekend

Greenwich would be far nicer for a "touristy" weekend, with lots to see and do, and places to eat. There are plenty of hotels there, e.g. a Travelodge near Greenwich station for example, with trains to Charlton and London Bridge (for the Gatwick train)

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/594/London-Greenwich-High-Road-hotel
  • Thanks for the replies, didn't realise the Harlinger Lodge was in bad location, might go with the Travel Lodge so

Thanks for the help!
  • edited February 2020
    Do not stay there.  Its not an awful but its just residential /industrial and nothing there.  

I just looked, that Travelodge is fully booked in Greenwich.  There is one in Woolwich too which is available.   The Premier Inn next to Arsenal is showing an expensive price.  What is going on locally that hotels are fully booked/or high priced?  Craig David cant be drawing that many people in surely?

Obviously Greenwich would be far preferable than Woolwich, but there would be more to do in Woolwich than Harlinger Street and easy to get to the Valley. 

• Thanks, will look at Woolwich also, would it be easy to get to London Bridge/The Valley from Woolwich?
  • siblers said:
    Thanks, will look at Woolwich also, would it be easy to get to London Bridge/The Valley from Woolwich?
    Woolwich Arsenal Station to London Bridge about 20-25 minutes,to Charlton about 5 minutes,there are also numerous bus services to 'The Valley' about a 10 minute ride.
  • Two stops on the train from Woolwich to Charlton, about 5 mins.  

From Gatwick you catch the train to London Bridge and change and go down to Woolwich.  Very easy.  I mean Woolwich is a bit rough around the edges (ahem) but it is easy for everything and there's some places to eat and drink there.    

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

p.s have they done the Sky fixtures for that weekend? 
  • Curb_It said:

I can see the SKY execs now - "Right lads, apart from the Charlton v Wigan game which is a deffo, what other matches should we show live for Super Duper Sunday"?
  • We did Friday to Sunday on the chance it might be Friday night or early/late Saturday, we're buggered if it's on Sunday!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Holiday Inn Express North Greenwich....https://expressgreenwich.co.uk/

Short bus ride to Charlton 5 mins- 472
    Walk to North Greenwich Tube (Jubilee, therefore easy to get to London Bridge to get to/from Gatwick)
    Walk to O2 Arena
  • Mate, you may want to take into account that it's the London Marathon on the Sunday. It will obviously be very busy in the area, and hotel prices are pretty high for the Saturday night. That includes Travelodges, Holiday Inn Express, etc. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Do not stay there.  Its not an awful but its just residential /industrial and nothing there.  

I just looked, that Travelodge is fully booked in Greenwich.  There is one in Woolwich too which is available.   The Premier Inn next to Arsenal is showing an expensive price.  What is going on locally that hotels are fully booked/or high priced?  Craig David cant be drawing that many people in surely?

Obviously Greenwich would be far preferable than Woolwich, but there would be more to do in Woolwich than Harlinger Street and easy to get to the Valley. 

Marathon on Sunday
  • Greenwich Holiday Inn is coming up to nearly 500 for two nights, madness
  • siblers said:
    Greenwich Holiday Inn is coming up to nearly 500 for two nights, madness
    Yeah, as Bazjonster says, Marathon effect.Most places i would expect to be expensive because of.
  • Mate, you may want to take into account that it's the London Marathon on the Sunday. It will obviously be very busy in the area, and hotel prices are pretty high for the Saturday night. That includes Travelodges, Holiday Inn Express, etc. 
    Good spot, there will be loads of people staying in the area Saturday night, to be at the Greenwich park starting line
  • edited February 2020
    Ahh that's why!  I could not figure out why everything was fully booked. 

Well i would book the saver deal at the Travelodge in Woolwich for 162 quid now, if you are definitely set on that weekend.

• Addickted said:
    Curb_It said:

I can see the SKY execs now - "Right lads, apart from the Charlton v Wigan game which is a deffo, what other matches should we show live for Super Duper Sunday"?
    Alright clever clogs!  But he's coming in Friday so would make the friday night game if it was changed. 
  • You don't have to stay close to the valley!

London has "excellent" public transport and you can get from anywhere to the valley in under an hour. Tubes and buses and trains typically run with a 5 minute frequency and cost next to nothing!

On that Sunday morning there will be 50,000 people who need to be in Greenwich before 8:00am! It's no wonder hotel rooms are costing the earth! 

If you are leaving or passing through the whole area (including Woolwich) on Sunday, you'll have a nightmare - even if you're on foot!

Get as far away as possible. Croydon may not be the greatest tourist attraction but it is nearer the airport and you can get to the Valley in forty minutes with no hassle.

At least the game won't be switched to Sunday! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Erith?  Blimey.

What time is your flight back on Sunday siblers.  The trains run brilliantly on marathon morning, with extra trains running as thats how people get about, roads are shut.  There's one from Woolwich to London Bridge every 10 mins. 

Harlinger street is now definitely out as difficult to cross the road on marathon morning as it will be running past the end of the road.  But Erith.  No. 

• Curb_It said:

London Marathon.
  • Flight leaves Gatwick at 12:15. I've booked into Woolwich as it was as cheap as I was going to get near The Valley. Will leave early Sunday morning to give us enough time with the marathon
  • edited February 2020
    You will be fine.  It will be busier than normal but just leave earlier. People will be getting off at Maze Hill so about 5 stops off after Woolwich.  

I was going to suggest getting the boat from London Bridget to Woolwich on the day you arrive which is a good scenic way to see a bit of London but unfortunately the direct boat to Woolwich doesnt start till about 5ish on a Friday afternoon so its a faff. 
  • Looks like this won't be happening now. Bastards better give me a refund, they applied a premium + no cancellation policy due to the London Marathon